Loveland, the closing day

eaf

Well, to turn the Aspen page completely, I've made it to Maroon Bells today. Turns out the road is open, so I didn't have to sweat biking up.

The weather was windy and cloudy, and so the lake was far from its usual beauty. Wasn't even worth a pic. Gray mountains, gray sky, big ripples on the surface, meh.

So I've grabbed the snow shoes and hiked up the trail to the Crater lake. The plan was to get there and even past the lake, time permitting...

It all went well until I reached the snowy platoe, changed and continued on snow. The unexpected problem was that the trail was completely covered, not obvious, and not many people really wanted to get their feet wet. This means hardly any footsteps and no trail markers of course. Without thinking, I followed somebody's footsteps and as it turned out diverted too far off the covered trail into the forest. When I realized that, it was kinda late to backtrack, and so I tried correcting myself based on my expectations of where the lake should be, walked some more and got to a pretty steep rocky slope about 5 stories up. Swearing, i unbuckled the snow shoes, crawled down the slope, got back on snow, walked more, got to a stone wall again, climbed, got to a rock field and started to get the feeling that I was seriously lost because I couldn't recognize the surroundings any more. I was on this trail before, but it was closer to summer with much less snow.

After walking more, I finally spotted the water, got to the shore and realized that I got to the wrong side of the lake completely! And the worst part was that the "shore" was actually a wild mess of rocks and wood debris, sometimes covered with snow. It took me looong time to get to the side where the official trail ends, and at this point my feet were all wet, I was seriously tired, and there was still the question of how I'd come back.

Luckily, there was a chain of somebody's footsteps there leading in the right direction. Just one. And the guy who left it was in regular shoes, so whenever he could, he would get off the snow on hard ground sidetracking in the process. So once in a while the chain would end, and so I had to stop and look around for where it would resume again. Eventually more footsteps added, the trail started to shape up, and I got back to the descending segment.

Nice final hike.