Loveland, the closing day

eaf

I apologise for misinformation btw. If one sticks to the area served by lift 9, in other words the highest area out here, then except for some small section down it's still fast yet soft. Interestingly all signs of groomers are gone at this point and it's just one vast snow covered terrain.

21 minutes ago, eaf said:

I sense some hesitation here... Is that because of the sign??

IMG_20180506_144933.jpg

That’s not difficult terrain...I would Hollywood right past them that would be a double blue at Jackson not a double black.  But Jackson has been closed for a month. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

11 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s not difficult terrain...I would Hollywood right past them that would be a double blue at Jackson not a double black.  But Jackson has been closed for a month. 

Yes, right now it's not extreme at all. I loved the width of it, just go anywhere!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’d enjoy the drive from Loveland to aspen to see the temperature rise. It’s 77 right now in Carbondale where the aspen folks to grocery shopping and to Wendy’s. 

82F in Glenwood Springs.

1 hour ago, eaf said:

82F in Glenwood Springs.

Funny coincidence, I just now had a great convo with someone who fled Vermont in the 1970s for Glenwood springs. He was absolutely dewy-eyed with fond memories of the place and all of the great skiing that was accessible (and affordable, I gather) from GS.  He commented on the friendliness of the people there, too. I gather that back then, Vermont was still very "taciturn" in the old New England sort of way, and he found Glenwood Springs and its lovely environs to be a welcome oasis of neighborliness.   

Wow you won't believe how burnt I got over yesterday. Everything that wasn't covered by goggles and helmet is now glowing in the dark, while ears, half of the nose, forehead and areas around eyes are completely white. People keep on suggesting vodka as a remedy, and I keep on wondering what they mean exactly: use it on burnt areas to cool them off, or just take it in to turn red all around...

This is the view from top of the Smuggler Mountain trail across the city valley. Between those peaks there is a (currently closed) road to Maroon Bells, beautiful mountain lake. I need to find some time to bike up there.

IMG_20180508_070034.jpg

• Like 3

Squaw Valley, not closing day.

Visited my son in Sacramento, and spent the weekend at Tahoe.  Was out Friday at Squaw.  Took the tram up and skied Siberia Express (1st picture)  and mostly backside Shirley's lake area (2nd picture). Nice bowl skiing.  Snow was soft but not slushy.  We did mostly groomed blues. People were skiing the KT-22 area. Good time had by all.

IMG_5338.thumb.JPG.b0ccf29bb21c26423a14e4f82801ca11.JPGIMG_5345.thumb.JPG.baf1a05baa02f33feb1c066a4eb6fd5c.JPG

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Squaw Valley, not closing day.

Visited my son in Sacramento, and spent the weekend at Tahoe.  Was out Friday at Squaw.  Took the tram up and skied Siberia Express (1st picture)  and mostly backside Shirley's lake area (2nd picture). Nice bowl skiing.  Snow was soft but not slushy.  We did mostly groomed blues. People were skiing the KT-22 area. Good time had by all.

IMG_5338.thumb.JPG.b0ccf29bb21c26423a14e4f82801ca11.JPGIMG_5345.thumb.JPG.baf1a05baa02f33feb1c066a4eb6fd5c.JPG

Nice report.  Was that your first time skiing out west in awhile??