Arapahoe Basin, 05/12-05/13

eaf

13 minutes ago, eaf said:

Guess, where I am staying! Another ghost town for sure, perhaps even more so than Silver Inn, but that's one of the best parts.

IMG_20180512_064626.jpg

Looks like the base of keystone...have fun. Get to ABasin early for a good parking spot..the lot fills up fast..especially since they’re the only place open. 

Ahahaha, I got fooled. The mountain opens at 8:30, not 8. And I was like: why is it 5 minutes to opening and the ticket office is still closed?! Well, the Monsters are now immortalized as second in line to Black Express.

IMG_20180512_080448.jpg

Edited by eaf

Apparently a famous place this is. It's common to see international teams training this time of the year (like China or Korea), race practicing is in progress, and Mikaela Shiffrin is frequenting ABasin too.

Edited by eaf
  • Like 1

Wow, what an amazing place overall! Much less straightforward than Loveland, with many interesting groomers.

There is actually less snow and thinner coverage than in Loveland, which is kinda sad, the whole thing with Loveland closing earlier makes no sense now. They said something about this having to do with park contracts, but still.

And to whoever skis this in spring like me, head over to the back slopes first thing in the morning. That's where the snow gets mushy first.

I think Loveland closes earlier due to their lease with the national forest service.  Loveland received more snow than ABasin several storms..microclimates. When you leave ABasin today you should make a right out of the parking lot instead of a left and drive a few miles up the road over Loveland pass for great views and pictures.  

If you’re still in Montezuma bowl go right it’s sort of a scenic run. Also even though you probably don’t like the bumper terrain on the Pali face you can still take the Pali lift and ski stuff to lookers left back down to the lenawee or Norway lifts. 

How much money was the two day lift ticket??

3 minutes ago, eaf said:

GSS, why didn't you tell me this was a Jerry place?? Time to checkout dining options.

IMG_20180512_115404.jpg

Everywhere is a Jerry place. Even Jackson hole.  That rope tow is new. You used to have to skate and poll a little to get to Montezuma bowl from the top of the Lenawee lift. I’d either eat at mid mountain get a brisket sandwich or go to the bottom and eat at taco truck.