Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

10 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Root do you ever get groceries delivered online or like one of those services that delivers meals with recipes packaged in ice??

No. I also like to handle my meats. 

I do get some non-perishables from Amazon. 

Thank you. 

8236E48E-D7C3-4B1D-B125-242B2DE1DC8A.thumb.jpeg.855e3b66f6be02ec2707b2a983989500.jpeg

Which model are you rocking? I bought a 2011 SS5000 before they made them their official low end zero turn model. I run my mower hard (cut 6-7 acres of grass/weeds and partially wooded stuff (stumps/branches)) and it held up great. I can’t say enough about the Kawasaki motor. I had to replace the brake module (plastic finally wore out) and the spindle assembly, but otherwise, the only thing I had to swap out were tires (thorns in the front tires that don’t have tubes) and belts. My dad needed an upgrade, so we fixed the broken parts and now he’s got a great zero turn with a solid engine. Hopefully it lasts him another 7 years.

When I went to get a new mower, I went back to the SS5000 since it fits on my mowing trailer (I even have a sweet weed whacker rack). Little did I know, but Toro actually started as an engine company. They downgraded the SS5000 (and lowered the price $350), but went to their in-house Toro branded engine. I had such great success with my previous Kawasaki, that I upgraded to the MX5000. It was a $600 swing, but the quality is a step up. Seat has better padding (whatever), there are armrests (whatever), has larger back tires (useful for some of my more uneven terrain), and it has a welded steel deck instead of a pressed deck (incredibly useful since I’m always hitting shit I can’t see). Overall, I’ve been impressed with it over the first two cutting days I’ve used it on.

One of the other nice features of Toro is that they have a well stocked parts department. It’s still easy to get all the replacement parts I need, even for the 2011.

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Do you use a dehumidifier for health reasons or is your house real humid and things get moldy?  

Basically any space below grade is inherently damp.  Keeping humidity in check is important in a home or crawlspace.  Crawlspaces are an interesting part of a home that most people would prefer to ignore.  I have seen crawlspaces just wrecked by moisture.  

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Basically any space below grade is inherently damp.  Keeping humidity in check is important in a home or crawlspace.  Crawlspaces are an interesting part of a home that most people would prefer to ignore.  I have seen crawlspaces just wrecked by moisture.  

I used to run a 70 pint dehumidifier in my crawl space. Pumped the waste water right out a vent. I keep a 65 pint one running in my lower level of my townhouse. I empty it twice a day. 

3 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Wow you learn something new everyday.  

On 9/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, Schif said:

Impressive mowing, and I appreciate the fact that you did a perimeter cut as well. Cleans things up and covers up and imperfections at the end of each line. Also you're clearly on top of things by mowing in multiple directions. A lot of people mess that one up. 

What kind of mower do you use? I'm getting the vibe that you're a Toro guy, possibly zero turn. 

I spent last Thursday weed-whacking under the chairlift at 6; had never used one before and it had a cool chest harness and was really fun. The guys laugh at me for it, but I love days when the lifts aren't running and we do general labor. Trail building and maintenance, brush-clearing, weed-whacking, bike repairs, etc.; so much more satisfying than sitting at a desk and you don't have to take any work home with you. Getting to use a riding mower would be Christmas morning for me. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, SallyCat said:

I spent last Thursday weed-whacking under the chairlift at 6; had never used one before and it had a cool chest harness and was really fun. The guys laugh at me for it, but I love days when the lifts aren't running and we do general labor. Trail building and maintenance, brush-clearing, weed-whacking, bike repairs, etc.; so much more satisfying than sitting at a desk and you don't have to take any work home with you. Getting to use a riding mower would be Christmas morning for me. 

Mowing grass gets "Old" by this time of the year,  especially after this rainy summer.... 3+ acres every 5 or so days.

Why did I ever fertilize?.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SallyCat said:

You have a really good attitude.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rummy said:

Mowing grass gets "Old" by this time of the year,  especially after this rainy summer.... 3+ acres every 5 or so days.

Why did I ever fertilize?.....

Yeah that is a lot. 1.75 is a lot for me, but it gets done quickly and looks decent. If I had that much space I'd let some grow naturally and spread wildflower seeds. I guess that depends on where you live, though. 

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You have a really good attitude.  

Lol, just happy to have a job that doesn't land me in the hospital with stress-induced heart problems. Plus we only do general labor once a week; the rest of the time is hanging out in the shop or giving lessons; it's all fun and easy. 

• Like 1

Just now, rummy said:

Oh yea,  Big John Deere 60" deck, front end loader etc.  I put a snow blower and chains, weights, and cab. I take it to Elk to keep driveway open in winter.

Nice and most people your age downsize to a little condo.  I’m actually surprised at the number of PASRs who mow their own lawns as opposed to hiring a landscaper but some really enjoy mowing. 

Just now, SallyCat said:

Lol, just happy to have a job that doesn't land me in the hospital with stress-induced heart problems. Plus we only do general labor once a week; the rest of the time is hanging out in the shop or giving lessons; it's all fun and easy. 

My job is annoying sometimes but I’ve been at it for 14 years.  I honestly only came in today to eat snacks and count money. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Yeah that is a lot. 1.75 is a lot for me, but it gets done quickly and looks decent. If I had that much space I'd let some grow naturally and spread wildflower seeds. I guess that depends on where you live, though. 

Do you have an electric fence for your dog?

6 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I have almost 2acres at my home and 1+ at my business property.

Takes about 2 hours 45 minutes to mow.  

I had a zero turn 60" Gravely that almost killed me , and sold it.  There is a portion of my yard where it is just too sloped and I lost all ability to steer and would have rolled over a 15' bank to a roadway, if not for a tree stopping me.  Thing is I mowed the same area many times carefully with no problem but it only takes one time.  Another almost disaster occurred when one of the drive wheel hydraulic pumps failed while on a hill and I lost control.  I wasn't going to take a third chance.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rummy said:

I have almost 2acres at my home and 1+ at my business property.

Takes about 2 hours 45 minutes to mow.  

I had a zero turn 60" Gravely that almost killed me , and sold it.  There is a portion of my yard where it is just too sloped and I lost all ability to steer and would have rolled over a 15' bank to a roadway, if not for a tree stopping me.  Thing is I mowed the same area many times carefully with no problem but it only takes one time.  Another almost disaster occurred when one of the drive wheel hydraulic pumps failed while on a hill and I lost control.  I wasn't going to take a third chance.....

OMG what does that have to do with the ski season?

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice and most people your age downsize to a little condo.  I’m actually surprised at the number of PASRs who mow their own lawns as opposed to hiring a landscaper but some really enjoy mowing. 

I'm ready to downsize now!
For me, cutting the lawn isn't so much enjoyable than me being too cheap to pay someone to do it.

However, I'm also too lazy to fertilize/weed killer, so I pay to have that done.  It's also cost effective as it costs almost as much to buy the fertilizer, but then there's the time it takes me to get the stuff out, spread it, clean up afterwards, etc.  It's way easy to haggle the price down with lawn services as they always seem to be starving for customers.  Just play one against the other.

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

For me, cutting the lawn isn't so much enjoyable than me being too cheap to pay someone to do it.

However, I'm also too lazy to fertilize/weed killer, so I pay to have that done.  It's also cost effective as it costs almost as much to buy the fertilizer, but then there's the time it takes me to get the stuff out, spread it, clean up afterwards, etc.  It's way easy to haggle the price down with lawn services as they always seem to be starving for customers.  Just play one against the other.

I just think it’s nuts that our grass cutter at work only charges $50 to mow a .88 acre lot...he’s charged the same for 14 years.  He used to charge $40 a cut at my parents house but my parents renters are now responsible for their own cutting.  

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I use a tank sprayer and liquid fertilizer and weed killer. Cleanup is easy.  Rinse out the tank.  In my neck of the woods there weren't any lawn care companies until the last 10 years or so, and I bought the equipment before then.

• Like 1