Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

6 hours ago, NMSKI said:

I'm currently struggling with this.  I mow my 1 acre yard with a big Exmark Metro 48" walk-behind, but the task of mowing the lawn is getting old.  I know it's going to be expensive to hire the job out, because I like it edged, trimmed and blown, and I have a few interesting features (gardens, hills, etc) that will have to be factored in to the price. Not just a square field basically.  Based on a little bit of research, I don't think I'll be able to find it for cheaper than $75/cut, which would be like $2,500/year.  Don't think I can justify that yet at this point in my life.  Maybe if my mower shits the bed, then I'll consider it a little more strongly.  

$2500 is a pretty big nut. 2 things i neglected to come forward with. 1)  the kid still charges me next to nothing. Usually we trade services if we can. I do some work on his trucks, and he mows my lawn. He actually hates taking money from me, and would actually let me get into debt with him for thousands and probably still not ask me for money. I have to go over his head and work it out with his mother that does his books, to get paid up  

2). My lawn is tiny. But to me, a huge pain in the ass to cut and trim with the fence in the backyard. I hate cutting grass so much i had a tractor. One time when tracty was broke i borrowed a push mower thinking “ehh, this wont be so bad”. It sucked twice as bad. Some people can tolerate cutting grass. I cant. 

Mowing the lawn is a tricky scenario for me. The majority of the grass I cut isn’t my own lawn. While we contract out the two business properties, we have a weekly beach rental I cut. There’s also 3 other lots on that same street I cut. It doesn’t really generate enough revenue to contract it out, so I do it. We also have the new business property that I cut, but that is only the ROW since the site itself is under construction. We will contract that out when it’s done as well. Then we have a couple other residential lots with no homes, our maintenance garage, and an old barn. Since I have a zero turn and a trailer, I do all that and then do my own home. My house is a third of an acre, but I also cut the two open lots next door for my neighbor. My ultimate goal is to eventually contract everything out but my house. I edge in with weed killer, so it doesn’t require much weed whacking. Once I build a garage I’ll get a small zero turn and make my money back by cutting the neighbor’s lawns. I’m home almost all summer, so that’s easy to do. I’d rather cut grass than maintain my landscaping, but I still do that twice a year. Takes me a couple weeks because I only do a bush here or there, but it eventually gets done.

26 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Mowing the lawn is a tricky scenario for me. The majority of the grass I cut isn’t my own lawn. While we contract out the two business properties, we have a weekly beach rental I cut. There’s also 3 other lots on that same street I cut. It doesn’t really generate enough revenue to contract it out, so I do it. We also have the new business property that I cut, but that is only the ROW since the site itself is under construction. We will contract that out when it’s done as well. Then we have a couple other residential lots with no homes, our maintenance garage, and an old barn. Since I have a zero turn and a trailer, I do all that and then do my own home. My house is a third of an acre, but I also cut the two open lots next door for my neighbor. My ultimate goal is to eventually contract everything out but my house. I edge in with weed killer, so it doesn’t require much weed whacking. Once I build a garage I’ll get a small zero turn and make my money back by cutting the neighbor’s lawns. I’m home almost all summer, so that’s easy to do. I’d rather cut grass than maintain my landscaping, but I still do that twice a year. Takes me a couple weeks because I only do a bush here or there, but it eventually gets done.

Thanks RideDE. I was anxiously awaiting to hear what you do with respect to grass cutting!!!  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, antman12 said:

was this to my post? If so those were the dates both mountains opened last season. (give or take a couple days because I matched to the nearest weekend).

Like throwing darts at dates.  3 years ago they opened in January too.  It was actually opening number 2 that season.  

My realtor got us a lawn service for one month as a gift. At the end of the month the owner bartered with me and finished out the season. The next spring I hired him and have not and will never take care of my yard again. It has been a great 9 years.

Edited by poconoceancity

Service industry is growing like crazy down here. New landscape companies opening daily it seems, and they all have work. They are building 2,500 homes in our county annually. It’s ridiculous really. It’s good for the real estate companies though.

In terms of opening days, it all depends on the cold fronts. Especially at the lower elevations. Killington is one of the only mountains that has the elevation to make an earlier start without those cold spurts. November is normal up north, but it’s still a crapshoot that early.

6 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Service industry is growing like crazy down here. New landscape companies opening daily it seems, and they all have work. They are building 2,500 homes in our county annually. It’s ridiculous really. It’s good for the real estate companies though.

In terms of opening days, it all depends on the cold fronts. Especially at the lower elevations. Killington is one of the only mountains that has the elevation to make an earlier start without those cold spurts. November is normal up north, but it’s still a crapshoot that early.

ok

• Haha 1

Just spoke to a superintentdent on one of my projects at work about the upcoming ski season. He said his son is going into his senior year of high school and will be going away for college so he's going all out this season. Starting with a WROD trip to Killington and has a surprised trip to Utah planned. Were going to meet up this season for a day or two so I'm looking forward to that.

He said he'll have to act like he doesn't know me since I'm a snowboarder...B)