Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

3 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I had no idea where to put this so ill just leave this here......Hole lee f***

"We are thankful to report that no one was injured in what was a scary episode for seven skiers and riders in two gondola cabins," resort spokesperson Myra Foster told Unofficial Networks.

"A break in a snowmaking pipe on Lower Standard sent water at a 45-degree angle toward the gondola. Snowmaking computers showed a drop in pressure and operators immediately began the process of shutting down the system.

"The operations team simultaneously stopped the lift, restarting it slowly to reposition the cabins. Approximately seven minutes later, the gondola made its way to the summit where guests disembarked."

The gondola is now running normally, and resort officials are using alternate pipes in the network to continue making snow, Foster told Unofficial Networks.

Hello, Dewey, Cheetem and Howe, personal injury lawyers.  How can we help you?

Yea this is all fresh and VERY tentative. This past weekend the cousin I ride with says "my mom (my aunt lol) says we should use some of her free flights and go out west", as she is a flight attendant. So we've been playing with this idea since Saturday. Neither of us have been out west and would be stoked to ride anywhere. I think the first thing were going to do is pick a date and currently looking at the first half of March. Any concerns/comments about early March?

@toast21602 ive always been really intrigued by Park City, have you been? Admittedly, this is only from snowboard magazines and videos. Nothing more or less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

Which state are you looking to visit? Do you want a variety of areas within a short radius or are you looking to ride one mountain? Onthesnow.com may be helpful

Thinking one mountain to help keep the costs down a touch.

Jackson or Steamboat then. Or even better visit Barb in Crested Butte (although I've never been).

We got a sick ski and stay at Steamboat a few years ago. Not sure if that's still around. Phillycore can probably remember where he found it. The cottonwoods are heaven on Earth but if you're looking at one mountain then I'm not sure it'll work, unless you stay in the village at solitude or the Cliff lodge at snowbird but I'm not sure that's the most viable option if you're looking to keep costs down.

3 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Jackson or Steamboat then. Or even better visit Barb in Crested Butte (although I've never been).

We got a sick ski and stay at Steamboat a few years ago. Not sure if that's still around. Phillycore can probably remember where he found it. The cottonwoods are heaven on Earth but if you're looking at one mountain then I'm not sure it'll work, unless you stay in the village at solitude or the Cliff lodge at snowbird but I'm not sure that's the most viable option if you're looking to keep costs down.

Thanks!

You know whats crazy... Ive told my cousin about PASR and the various members but I never mentioned Jackson Hole and this boards affirmation towards JH. When I asked where he would want to go the first name he said was Jackson Hole. Made me chuckle and I told him about GSS and the boards history of going to JH. So how knows...maybe.

Utah is a great place to start your trips West.  We've been to Utah 5 or 6 times. We usually do a VRBO and stay in the area between  the Little and Big Canyons Cottonwood Canyons. We also rent a car or two and drive to one of the many mountains in the region, usually a different one every day.  That being said, since there are going to only be the two of you, a hotel in Park City would work better for you.  

No need to rent a car if you are only going to ride Park City, there is excellent free bus transportation in PC, and you should easily be able to catch a bus from the airport to PC. You can also ride Wolf Mountain(?), Used to be PC West. I think Deer Valley still has a boarder ban... I could be very wrong however.... Again the PC public busses will be able to get you there no problem.

My first trip West was to PC..... GO FOR IT!!!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Thanks!

You know whats crazy... Ive told my cousin about PASR and the various members but I never mentioned Jackson Hole and this boards affirmation towards JH. When I asked where he would want to go the first name he said was Jackson Hole. Made me chuckle and I told him about GSS and the boards history of going to JH. So how knows...maybe.

The Jackson hole chamber of commerce and central reservations and the 49er owes me commission for all the people who have visited Jackson hole because of me.  This year Ryan, Mute, Slim and Indiggio are all going for the first time. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

15 minutes ago, Barb said:

I have plenty of dates open in March if you wanted to give Crested Butte a try. PS it would keep your costs way down. ;)

Thanks for the offer! Ill keep it in mind.

11 minutes ago, rummy said:

Utah is a great place to start your trips West.  We've been to Utah 5 or 6 times. We usually do a VRBO and stay in the area between  the Little and Big Canyons Cottonwood Canyons. We also rent a car or two and drive to one of the many mountains in the region, usually a different one every day.  That being said, since there are going to only be the two of you, a hotel in Park City would work better for you.  

No need to rent a car if you are only going to ride Park City, there is excellent free bus transportation in PC, and you should easily be able to catch a bus from the airport to PC. You can also ride Wolf Mountain(?), Used to be PC West. I think Deer Valley still has a boarder ban... I could be very wrong however.... Again the PC public busses will be able to get you there no problem.

My first trip West was to PC..... GO FOR IT!!!

Great information. Thanks Rummy!

7 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

When you get ideas and narrow things down if possible, let us know about it here. Between all of us, we have covered a lot of the places to ski out west. 

Will do. Hes pretty high on Jackson and I'm pretty high on Park City. So if I had to guess it'd be between those two.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by antman12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, antman12 said:

Will do. Hes pretty high on Jackson and I'm pretty high on Park City. So if I had to guess it'd be between those two.

Thanks everyone.

Like Toast said, figure out where u wanna go, and people will be able to help you alot more.  Figure out if your airline of choice flys to Jackson.  some dont.  you really cant make a mistake with CO, Utah or Jackson.  But i will give you this quick rundown.

Utah - 13 resorts within like 45 mins of the airport.  You dont have to get a car, and you could stay at a resort but the cost of staying at a resort will likely be more than if you were to rent a car, and stay in a more centrally located hotel in town.  Stay in a hotel, with your rental hoptie, and go to whatever resort has the best conditions.  Rent a 4wd car/truck/tank.  Get your lift tix that morning at the ski shop. 

Colorado - lift tix are prob still more expensive than Utah, and you will do some driving there.  However, we know some super cool person that is always willing to help out a PASR, and Crested Butte looks cool as crap.  Very quick flight to Denver, if you dont fly frontier.  

Jackson Hole - I have no experience with this, but i am told it is an easy place to ski without renting a car.  The Kardashians lent us their Suburban last year.   

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Like Toast said, figure out where u wanna go, and people will be able to help you alot more.  Figure out if your airline of choice flys to Jackson.  some dont.  you really cant make a mistake with CO, Utah or Jackson.  But i will give you this quick rundown.

Utah - 13 resorts within like 45 mins of the airport.  You dont have to get a car, and you could stay at a resort but the cost of staying at a resort will likely be more than if you were to rent a car, and stay in a more centrally located hotel in town.  Stay in a hotel, with your rental hoptie, and go to whatever resort has the best conditions.  Rent a 4wd car/truck/tank.  Get your lift tix that morning at the ski shop. 

Colorado - lift tix are prob still more expensive than Utah, and you will do some driving there.  However, we know some super cool person that is always willing to help out a PASR, and Crested Butte looks cool as crap.  Very quick flight to Denver, if you dont fly frontier.  

Jackson Hole - I have no experience with this, but i am told it is an easy place to ski without renting a car.  The Kardashians lent us their Suburban last year.   

Thanks Dan, appreciate the write up.

So we verbally agreed on Jackson Hole. Looking to set dates and book in the next couple weeks. Keep you posted and will be asking questions. Yes, if this comes to fruition ill be wearing a helmet, goggles and a jacket. My cousin mentioned getting a backpack too.

• 2 weeks later...

Park city ? Are you high ? I'm not judging but Park City is like the worst  mtn in UT and my cousins wife has a big ass house on the hill and we still went other places. Jup is ok but it's advanced meadow skipping. If you go to UT at least get in the canyons, Brighton is a fucking gem if you know where to go, it holds snow forever. Solly is it's slightly more popular neighbor with excellent trees and pow pow. LCC do I even have to type anything out ? The bird is the fucking word. You ain't never ridden something like Hidden Canyon at Brighton or mineral at the bird. Park City is a slightly taller VT, it's conjoined twin the Canyons is really VT outside of 9990. I know you've seen there pretty sweet parks in mags and shit but are you really going to UT to ride park 24/7 ? The answer to that question should unequivocally be no, you want to get utarted with the kind of snow that is so fucking deep you seriously consider quitting your job and just never going home. The kind of diamond dust that blows up under your helmet, were 20ft cliff drops to bonk is a pooof.

UT would be

1.Bird

2. Brighton

3. Snowbasin

4. Solly

5. Alta

6. Pow Mow (much higher if the snow is right)

7. Deer Valley (higher if your mom is going and doesn't want to carry her skis)

8. Brians Head

9. Park City/Sundance

Your actual best bet would be to hit up Barb on CB. Crusty butt will check if you have the skills to pay the bills. That hill is steep, almost the bird kinda consistently steep, the town is fucking dope, that thai place is legit, the vibe is awesome and you have somebody offering you a legit hook up to keep those bills down. If you rip big fucking arcs down Bannana and that ain't enough for you well then jackson is a logical step up. Plus CB you can drive to other hills in the area.

That's just my useless two cents but Park City ? You gotta be sniffing glue.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

western trip #2 for this season in the works as we speak.  looking like 2 days at snowbird and 2 days at snowbasin.  there are motels in odgen for $40

Are you gonna stay in one of the $40 motels??  Maybe VTMark will tag along since he’s making mad loot in crypto

• Haha 2