Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

I'm ready to downsize now!
For me, cutting the lawn isn't so much enjoyable than me being too cheap to pay someone to do it.

However, I'm also too lazy to fertilize/weed killer, so I pay to have that done.  It's also cost effective as it costs almost as much to buy the fertilizer, but then there's the time it takes me to get the stuff out, spread it, clean up afterwards, etc.  It's way easy to haggle the price down with lawn services as they always seem to be starving for customers.  Just play one against the other.

have someone cut your grass.  like just for a few weeks.  I always used to think i wouldnt pay someone to do something i am physically able to do.  I put my buddies kid in business cutting lawns like 8 years ago.  I havent touched a mower or weed eater in as long, and i dont have any problem paying to have my lawn done. I threw all my lawnmowing crap out.  its simply a chore that i dont have time for, or i can find something more enjoyable to do with that time.  I have no time during the week to mow, so if i were to do it, it would be on a weekend.  I can think of so many things i would like to do on the weekends than mow my grass.  i cut the grass in the poconos twice a year, and i borrow a buddies mower to do it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

have someone cut your grass.  like just for a few weeks.  I always used to think i wouldnt pay someone to do something i am physically able to do.  I put my buddies kid in business cutting lawns like 8 years ago.  I havent touched a mower or weed eater in as long, and i dont have any problem paying to have my lawn done. I threw all my lawnmowing crap out.  its simply a chore that i dont have time for, or i can find something more enjoyable to do with that time.  I have no time during the week to mow, so if i were to do it, it would be on a weekend.  I can think of so many things i would like to do on the weekends than mow my grass.  i cut the grass in the poconos twice a year, and i borrow a buddies mower to do it.  

Yeah, I hear ya, but cutting the lawn has been so ingrained in my brain it's like brushing my teeth. 
Since I have a big zero-turn, it doesn't take me that long to do and I do it one day during the week, which isn't bad.
I'm also quite picky about how the lawn looks that I won't let my son do it as he can't drive a straight line to save his life.

Depending on what type of housing we eventually downsize to will determine the lawn cutting decision, as I won't be carting the zero-turn along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, I hear ya, but cutting the lawn has been so ingrained in my brain it's like brushing my teeth. 
Since I have a big zero-turn, it doesn't take me that long to do and I do it one day during the week, which isn't bad.
I'm also quite picky about how the lawn looks that I won't let my son do it as he can't drive a straight line to save his life.

Depending on what type of housing we eventually downsize to will determine the lawn cutting decision, as I won't be carting the zero-turn along.

Vista Lodge Residency Club. Should be opening in Fall 2017! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

have someone cut your grass.  like just for a few weeks.  I always used to think i wouldnt pay someone to do something i am physically able to do.  I put my buddies kid in business cutting lawns like 8 years ago.  I havent touched a mower or weed eater in as long, and i dont have any problem paying to have my lawn done. I threw all my lawnmowing crap out.  its simply a chore that i dont have time for, or i can find something more enjoyable to do with that time.  I have no time during the week to mow, so if i were to do it, it would be on a weekend.  I can think of so many things i would like to do on the weekends than mow my grass.  i cut the grass in the poconos twice a year, and i borrow a buddies mower to do it.  

 

7 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, I hear ya, but cutting the lawn has been so ingrained in my brain it's like brushing my teeth. 
Since I have a big zero-turn, it doesn't take me that long to do and I do it one day during the week, which isn't bad.
I'm also quite picky about how the lawn looks that I won't let my son do it as he can't drive a straight line to save his life.

Depending on what type of housing we eventually downsize to will determine the lawn cutting decision, as I won't be carting the zero-turn along.

I'm currently struggling with this.  I mow my 1 acre yard with a big Exmark Metro 48" walk-behind, but the task of mowing the lawn is getting old.  I know it's going to be expensive to hire the job out, because I like it edged, trimmed and blown, and I have a few interesting features (gardens, hills, etc) that will have to be factored in to the price. Not just a square field basically.  Based on a little bit of research, I don't think I'll be able to find it for cheaper than $75/cut, which would be like $2,500/year.  Don't think I can justify that yet at this point in my life.  Maybe if my mower shits the bed, then I'll consider it a little more strongly.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

have someone cut your grass.  like just for a few weeks.  I always used to think i wouldnt pay someone to do something i am physically able to do.  I put my buddies kid in business cutting lawns like 8 years ago.  I havent touched a mower or weed eater in as long, and i dont have any problem paying to have my lawn done. I threw all my lawnmowing crap out.  its simply a chore that i dont have time for, or i can find something more enjoyable to do with that time.  I have no time during the week to mow, so if i were to do it, it would be on a weekend.  I can think of so many things i would like to do on the weekends than mow my grass.  i cut the grass in the poconos twice a year, and i borrow a buddies mower to do it.  

Well it’s like if your time is worth $50 an hour and you’re paying somebody $20 an hour to mow your lawn or clean your house it’s worth it. I’ve paid the office managers daughter $10 an hour cash to file for me before. I hate filing it’s just so boring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I'm currently struggling with this.  I mow my 1 acre yard with a big Exmark Metro 48" walk-behind, but the task of mowing the lawn is getting old.  I know it's going to be expensive to hire the job out, because I like it edged, trimmed and blown, and I have a few interesting features (gardens, hills, etc) that will have to be factored in to the price. Not just a square field basically.  Based on a little bit of research, I don't think I'll be able to find it for cheaper than $75/cut, which would be like $2,500/year.  Don't think I can justify that yet at this point in my life.  Maybe if my mower shits the bed, then I'll consider it a little more strongly.  

It came down to time for me.  When we moved in, I had a dinky 36" tractor which even at max speed (and horrible cut), it was taking me over 2 hours to cut the lawn, which was driving me insane.
For the price to get someone to do the lawn, in about two years I could have a real zero-turn that could go like crazy and still cut reasonably well paid off.  So that's the route I took.
 

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Well it’s like if your time is worth $50 an hour and you’re paying somebody $20 an hour to mow your lawn or clean your house it’s worth it. I’ve paid the office managers daughter $10 an hour cash to file for me before. I hate filing it’s just so boring.  

Exactly.  I feel I can part with an hour to cut the lawn and have it look the way I want it, rather than having to pay someone.

Hell, I'd probably just be surfing the Internet, drinking more beer or jerking off with that hour I'd save anyway.
It's not like I'd be actually making money with that extra hour.

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It came down to time for me.  When we moved in, I had a dinky 36" tractor which even at max speed (and horrible cut), it was taking me over 2 hours to cut the lawn, which was driving me insane.
For the price to get someone to do the lawn, in about two years I could have a real zero-turn that could go like crazy and still cut reasonably well paid off.  So that's the route I took.
 

Exactly.  I feel I can part with an hour to cut the lawn and have it look the way I want it, rather than having to pay someone.

Hell, I'd probably just be surfing the Internet, drinking more beer or jerking off with that hour I'd save anyway.
It's not like I'd be actually making money with that extra hour.

Now if you can combine drinking beer and jerking off id be impressed.  You can surf the internet with your toes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Now if you can combine drinking beer and jerking off id be impressed.  You can surf the internet with your toes. 

Doesn't say you need to wear pants...
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Doesn't say you need to wear pants...
 

 

Hahaha that reminds me of when I was at my friends house a few weeks ago.  His wife was out for a girls night and came home early unexpectedly. The first thing I said when she came in was,”Dave we have to put our pants back on”..his wife who’s serious was not amused lol.  Plus the whole house smelled like weed 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hahaha that reminds me of when I was at my friends house a few weeks ago.  His wife was out for a girls night and came home early unexpectedly. The first thing I said when she came in was,”Dave we have to put our pants back on”..his wife who’s serious was not amused lol.  Plus the whole house smelled like weed 

Sounds like she needs to partake a bit to lighten up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Doesn't say you need to wear pants...
 

 

This is what you need.

 

mMpawqv.gif

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Shadows said:

You live in a hotel

Yeah I’m talking about when I lived in a house as a kid and my hotel is in the suburbs where people have big back yards.  Some a 1/2 acre.  All y’all with your acre plus live in the sticks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

She’s pregnant and she’s  a doctor so real serious.  

Ah, gotcha.  That would do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in skiing news Winter Park said they were going to have a big announcement today.  They changed their logo.  :blink:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Barb said:

in skiing news Winter Park said they were going to have a big announcement today.  They changed their logo.  :blink:

Thought they also mentioned new gondola and new glades?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

have someone cut your grass.  like just for a few weeks.  I always used to think i wouldnt pay someone to do something i am physically able to do.  I put my buddies kid in business cutting lawns like 8 years ago.  I havent touched a mower or weed eater in as long, and i dont have any problem paying to have my lawn done. I threw all my lawnmowing crap out.  its simply a chore that i dont have time for, or i can find something more enjoyable to do with that time.  I have no time during the week to mow, so if i were to do it, it would be on a weekend.  I can think of so many things i would like to do on the weekends than mow my grass.  i cut the grass in the poconos twice a year, and i borrow a buddies mower to do it.  

Truth. I stopped mowing the Philly property 2 years ago and have the VT property mowed every 2 weeks. Totally worth it. They got the big machines and a couple kids with wakers and knock it out in a fraction of the time it takes me. Not to mention shit hot weather.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barb said:

in skiing news Winter Park said they were going to have a big announcement today.  They changed their logo.  :blink:

Mods, Barb hijacked the lawn-mowing thread. 😁

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Thought they also mentioned new gondola and new glades?

That’s old news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat as most others here.  I love to mow my lawn, landscaping, etc, but when I have free time to do nothing, I want to do exactly that.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Mods, Barb hijacked the lawn-mowing thread. 😁

Sorry! Back to Doug rubbing in the cemetery. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×