Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

Mt. Snow might be a better (and closer) option than K in November if you really want to push the season. They spent a ton of money on expanding snowmaking last year and I had a perfectly fun time skiing there in late Nov. with just a few trails open but good snow coverage and light crowds. I mean, it was November and all, but it was skiing and it didn't suck. 

It really depends on what your definition of “early” season skiing and riding is. If you want a couple extra weeks, then Killington (maybe SR) is going to be your best bet. Once Killington opens, they stay open unless the snow doesn’t cooperate. Sunday River is usually only weekends until they can get off Barker.

In a typical pre WC year, I would say that Killington is going to be your best option. They have a better climate than any of the other early season VT players. The stairway allows them to open earlier. They are aggressive down to the base and expand quickly. Unfortunately, since the WC was brought on, the early season offering has really suffered. The WC course remains their number one priority, and they push all excess capacity to Superstar to ensure they have the snow. 5 years ago they would have half of NR lit up at once. Now it is basically one trail at a time. That being said, due to the elevation, the snow quality is usually excellent. However, the lift line will always be a madhouse on weekends until they are t2b.

In short, if you want to extend your season, go to Killington in October/early November. If you’re looking for the best option after the first sustained cold spell in November, head somewhere else until the WC is over. They will likely be t2b before Killington on multiple routes.

Big Bear is about on level of Bear Creek, but empty and far.

I like to try all sorts of mountains of all sorts of sizes. It wouldn’t be worth a designated trip, but if I could “swing” by on my way to or from VT, I would give it a shot... I met some of the patrollers from there two years ago at the OEC refresher at Montage, and they seemed to have fun there. That’s all that really matters.

2 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I like to try all sorts of mountains of all sorts of sizes. It wouldn’t be worth a designated trip, but if I could “swing” by on my way to or from VT, I would give it a shot... I met some of the patrollers from there two years ago at the OEC refresher at Montage, and they seemed to have fun there. That’s all that really matters.

Correct