Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

I'd only ride stratton again if it was an early or late season option or with someone who knew the woods stashes and they were in play, too many better places - magic, snow prabably even bromley lol. I really don't like the terrain and vibe, mall village and parking deck just crushes my  ski soul.

10 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

Yes, but by that point, the death cookies will be the size of small cats and we'll be in the parking lot drinking beer.

Yup opening day is all about the first few runs and the camaraderie. Some years opening day isn’t too crazy..usually the busiest early season day is a week or two after opening before they get the six pack open. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yup opening day is all about the first few runs and the camaraderie. Some years opening day isn’t too crazy..usually the busiest early season day is a week or two after opening before they get the six pack open. 

@saltyantwill probably do 50 runs down Main St.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Actually last year when i met you guys it wasn't busy. The annoying gift card day was in fact a week or 2 later when they opened some real terrain.

That’s because they opened on pretty short notice I believe.  A lot of people don’t wanna pay like $40 for WROD

Arapahoe looks pretty badass

Remember my opening day video last year? No one commented on it or even gave it a thumbs up. Makes me sad because I put so much work into manually embedding telemetry data, and then the most epic high five to a live camel.

Edited by saltyant
  • Sad 1

Salty, if you often ski on a budget and like to get to VT, you should look into the VT Ski 4 pass put out by Ski Vermont. It sells out very quickly each year, but 4 tickets (each ticket can only be used at one mountain) for $175 (iirc) is a steal. Usually comes out early to mid October.

Whiteface is overrated in my opinion. Unless the conditions are stellar, it gets repetitive, it’s cold, and it’s out in the middle of nowhere.

Stowe is awesome, but due to the Epic pass, powder days can be packed, and it’s definitely not a budget friendly place.

Killington is packed on weekends, but relatively manageable on weekdays. If it’s a Thursday or Friday, Pico is a diamond in the rough. Lots of terrain, good snowmaking, and lots of fun woods. Sometimes you can find a deal too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 4:45 PM, antman12 said:

Trying to figure out where I want to take a short trip this season; Whiteface, Killington or Stowe. Any opinions on which you prefer and why? While I am a member of the dying breed known as a park rat :clap2, terrain parks dont really factor in to which mountain I would choose. Mainly vertical, lifts and snow quality is what im looking for. I would go during the week so crowds shouldn't factor in too heavily. 

There's a very small chance I plan a week long trip and hit all (3) going from WF-Stowe-KT. More than likely a little out of my budget though.

I appreciate your opinions.:passjoint:  :cheers:

I like Whiteface.  The town is pretty cool too.  That being said, you are going there to ski Whiteface, or Whiteface.  I like options.  This is east coast skiing with variable weather conditions.  I will favor Vermont for options.  I like Utah for this reason as well.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Salty, if you often ski on a budget and like to get to VT, you should look into the VT Ski 4 pass put out by Ski Vermont. It sells out very quickly each year, but 4 tickets (each ticket can only be used at one mountain) for $175 (iirc) is a steal. Usually comes out early to mid October.

Whiteface is overrated in my opinion. Unless the conditions are stellar, it gets repetitive, it’s cold, and it’s out in the middle of nowhere.

Stowe is awesome, but due to the Epic pass, powder days can be packed, and it’s definitely not a budget friendly place.

Killington is packed on weekends, but relatively manageable on weekdays. If it’s a Thursday or Friday, Pico is a diamond in the rough. Lots of terrain, good snowmaking, and lots of fun woods. Sometimes you can find a deal too.

Ride I think this was supposed to be directed at me.

I've heard that Whiteface can be cold and icy, hence the nickname of "iceface", but I've never heard that it gets repetitive. Interesting to hear. Ill probably put Whiteface/Lake Placid on the back burner for a family/couple trip.

I guess ill have to choose between Killington and Stowe and at the moment would lean towards Killington. Is Stowe that much better than Killington? If so please say so! I'm probably putting too much thought into this in regards to Stowe... but after a quick glance at the trail map it seems that half of the mountain is served by only a double, triple and quad chairlift. 

I'm not too worried about cost if I'm only going to a single mountain, only if I take a longer "ski-fari".

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

I’m in the peak lodge bar. The guns  firing top to bottom and surprising Monday crowds were a bit much. I’d go back down if they happen to turn the guns off, though. Temps look to stay below 32, though, so not likely

Edited by SallyCat
  • Like 4