Skison 18/19

moe ghoul

26 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

It’s not worth it to go opening day. Luckily, if the snow conditions allow, Killington runs 7 days a week once they open. Wait 2-3 days for a weekday, and you’ll probably have 2 runs with 100 other people. That’s worth it if you’re really jonesing and have the time to do it.

And if i wait another week, and go on a weekday, i might get 5 trails, or wait another week and get 10 trails, or whatever.  see where i'm going with that?  if im gonna drive 6 hrs, i want to make it worth my while.  i cant make 47 runs on one trail.  That would put me on pills.  

And if i wait another week, and go on a weekday, i might get 5 trails, or wait another week and get 10 trails, or whatever.  see where i'm going with that?  if im gonna drive 6 hrs, i want to make it worth my while.  i cant make 47 runs on one trail.  That would put me on pills.  

I totally get the logic. It’s only 1-2 more days on the hill over the course of a season. It really comes down to whether that will satisfy the desire until PA ski season or just make it worse because you can’t have it for another month. I’ve only made the trip specifically for that once or twice, and it’s only possible because my job is flexible. I would rather wait until the local hill opened than wait at Killington on a weekend.

23 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I totally get the logic. It’s only 1-2 more days on the hill over the course of a season. It really comes down to whether that will satisfy the desire until PA ski season or just make it worse because you can’t have it for another month. I’ve only made the trip specifically for that once or twice, and it’s only possible because my job is flexible. I would rather wait until the local hill opened than wait at Killington on a weekend.

Early openings and ditching the six-hour drive are some of many reasons I moved to VT as soon as I had a chance, but it's still a calculation that may not add up as much as it may seem. There's hardly any night skiing up here and I'll be working 5 days, so although it will be awesome that my days off will be weekdays, I still will probably get way less skiing in than last year. 

@GrilledSteezeSandwich mid-week Okemo and limited-season Magic. I skied at Quechee a couple of times last year because it was free and I only had a couple of hours and I got to ski with my cousin's kids, which was a blast. It has a nice vibe, and I say that as someone who can't stand the golf-tennis culture of Quechee in the green season. 

That’s why I chose to patrol when I worked up north full time. I got 7 days a week on snow if I wanted. First tracks on all the good stuff. Now that I volunteer at Sugarbush I still get plenty of time on the snow, but I have to make a trek up there in order to get it.

I’d look into it next season if you are able...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Early openings and ditching the six-hour drive are some of many reasons I moved to VT as soon as I had a chance, but it's still a calculation that may not add up as much as it may seem. There's hardly any night skiing up here and I'll be working 5 days, so although it will be awesome that my days off will be weekdays, I still will probably get way less skiing in than last year. 

@GrilledSteezeSandwich mid-week Okemo and limited-season Magic. I skied at Quechee a couple of times last year because it was free and I only had a couple of hours and I got to ski with my cousin's kids, which was a blast. It has a nice vibe, and I say that as someone who can't stand the golf-tennis culture of Quechee in the green season. 

Twice a week for a 6 month season is over 50 days 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

26 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Come to think of it, Six closes early, so I may have a decent chunk of spring skiing time, too.

• Like 1

I posted this before, but it disappeared. Greek Peak was one of my first spring skiing experiences back when I was doing college tours. I had fun, but I really didn’t scrutinize resorts like I do now. I’ve heard that the new owners have been investing in snowmaking and that the indoor water park has made a big difference. I doubt I’ll make it there again, but you never know...

I fully take over the business January 1st...I’m gonna start my presidentency with taking a lot of time off to ski and giving myself a fat raise since I no longer have to split profits with my dad!!!

Did you buy him out? I figured he would be on it for the foreseeable future... or forever.

30 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Did you buy him out? I figured he would be on it for the foreseeable future... or forever.

No the business is being gifted to me..my dad is 70 years old and we’ve been partners for the last 4 years that he’s been living in Virginia and he’s been up about 3 days a month since then mainly working on mausoleums and community projects.  Between their savings, social security, part of my uncles business that my mom owns and rental property they don’t need any business income.  They’re going to gift my sister money over the next several years as well to be fair.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

No the business is being gifted to me..my dad is 70 years old and we’ve been partners for the last 4 years that he’s been living in Virginia and he’s been up about 3 days a month since then mainly working on mausoleums and community projects.  Between their savings, social security, part of my uncles business that my mom owns and rental property they don’t need any business income.  They’re going to gift my sister money over the next several years as well to be fair.  

When are you going to start implementing your plan to move out west and manage from afar?

3 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

When are you going to start implementing your plan to move out west and manage from afar?

When I have more money in the bank..business is up 15% this year so shouldn’t be long and I’d only live out west during the ski season which is our slow time of the year. 

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Congratulations. You’ve been talking about this for awhile. 

• Like 1

I look forward to the TR's from you guys that drive 400-700 miles to ski on one trail with 10,000 other people.  I just cant bring myself to do it.  

Greek Peek is about as far as i could justify driving from the poconos.  

For a WROD or in general? If the latter does that mean no more VT or ADKs?

16 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I would never want to own my own business. Yeah, sounds great, your own boss...I like my job, it sucks a lot when I’m there sometimes, but my days off are just that. 🙂

We’re closed evenings and weekends. When you’re a business owner payday isn’t exciting it means the company checking account takes a hit.  I just like that if business is good I make more money, I also like being able to come in an hour late if I’m super hungover..and some nice perks like company car and cell phone paid for. 

There is the pressure of not fucking up and having to sell enough to pay for my salary and employees salaries plus health insurance and all the other office and truck expenses.  Like today we didn’t get any orders in the mail but I wrote thousands in checks. Luckily yesterday we sold a lot. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I would never want to own my own business. Yeah, sounds great, your own boss...I like my job, it sucks a lot when I’m there sometimes, but my days off are just that. [emoji846]

I feel like it is like any job. There are some benefits and some detractions. It also depends to some degree on how well you can compartmentalize. GSS is pretty gifted at that. Regardless of the ups and downs of business, he is able to leave it at the office when he walks through the door.

Unfortunately, I have not been given that gift, especially during times of change. When things are going well, it is easy to leave things at the door. However, right now we have a couple vacancies of our own doing, trying to come up with a long term re-development plan, and we are also working on building another small new shopping center. There’s always brainstorming. It is more mentally taxing than anything. Once the new shopping center is built, filled, and the bills being paid, I’ll be much closer to being able to leave my worries at the office at night and on weekends.

Overall, I wouldn’t change it. There are certain perks such as a company car and cell phone. The most important to me is virtually unlimited vacation time within reason and being able to make my own hours. The stress is tough right now, but it will get better as we wrap up these projects.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I feel like it is like any job. There are some benefits and some detractions. It also depends to some degree on how well you can compartmentalize. GSS is pretty gifted at that. Regardless of the ups and downs of business, he is able to leave it at the office when he walks through the door.

Unfortunately, I have not been given that gift, especially during times of change. When things are going well, it is easy to leave things at the door. However, right now we have a couple vacancies of our own doing, trying to come up with a long term re-development plan, and we are also working on building another small new shopping center. There’s always brainstorming. It is more mentally taxing than anything. Once the new shopping center is built, filled, and the bills being paid, I’ll be much closer to being able to leave my worries at the office at night and on weekends.

Overall, I wouldn’t change it. There are certain perks such as a company car and cell phone. The most important to me is virtually unlimited vacation time within reason and being able to make my own hours. The stress is tough right now, but it will get better as we wrap up these projects.

I’ve been lucky that the last 14 years I’ve worked at the tombstone company business has always been good. Our worst year was about 70% as much business as our best year so things are pretty consistent. The fact that we have a solid network of dealers helps and also the fact that the business has been in existence since 1929. Not to toot my own horn but I’m a really good sales person. I’m good at creating value and urgency without being blatantly persuasive.  

I know one gentleman who has a franchise of 8 monument companies in Long Island/NYC and North Jersey.  When he had one shop I’m sure he did well likely made very low 6 figures but he was hungry for more and bought up other monument companies and now he sells the most memorial stones of anybody in the northeast. He likely makes over $1 million a year in income/profit and is about 55 years old.  He’s also from a rich family but work is his passion.  He lives to work.  I work to live.  I couldn’t imagine opening franchises..that’s where major risk comes in and I already had my unsuccessful stint as a gambler...maybe I’m complacent but I like the way things are now.   

Off to karaoke.  Ski season is soon. Sorry for the threadjack.