18/19 Season Update

rummy

26 minutes ago, Shadows said:

drove to train; took the train in cause busses dont run that late back. Ended up taking an uber back to the car in NJ cause amtrack is a POS and blocked NJ transit out of penn.

I bet uber was expensive.  The few times I’ve driven into Manhattan I parked in Chinatown and found parking for under $30 a day. 

MId week in between Christmas and New Years if things get going early would be fun.  Not fun if its 3 trails.  
Was thinking that timframe for an elk trip. Let's make it happen. And yes I'd be down to carpool. If peeps from points south (looking at you toast) want to drive here I'd be happy to take it the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:
1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:
MId week in between Christmas and New Years if things get going early would be fun.  Not fun if its 3 trails.  

Was thinking that timframe for an elk trip. Let's make it happen. And yes I'd be down to carpool. If peeps from points south (looking at you toast) want to drive here I'd be happy to take it the rest of the way.

Thanks Ridge!!!!

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I feel like elk would be expensive and crowded that week. I should check to see what day of the week Xmas is on. 

Elk is always expensive.  no way to get around that.  I feel like the past two years at Blue that week was less crowded than i thought it might be, maybe that translates over to Elk as well, dunno.  Christmas is on a Tuesday.  I actually wish it was on a weekend.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:
30 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:
Thanks Ridge!!!!

Are you down? If so you're more than welcome. As is anyone else who can fit in the flex.

No I’ve been to elk before and have no interest in returning.  Thanks for the invite and I hate carpooling. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

17 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Elk is always expensive.  no way to get around that.  I feel like the past two years at Blue that week was less crowded than i thought it might be, maybe that translates over to Elk as well, dunno.  Christmas is on a Tuesday.  I actually wish it was on a weekend.  

Well with Xmas on a Tuesday we’ll likely be closed for 7 work days...24th-28th and then the 31st and 1st...I’ll likely be down at my parents in Virginia the 23rd-25th.  XMAS week was brutally cold last year and not crowded at Blue and if I remember correctly nearly everything was open. 

3 hours ago, trackbiker said:

That's kind of surprising. Elk has the best terrain and conditions in PA  (and yes, I've been to Blue Knob twice).

now this is really funny! elk's terrain is OK, but def nowhere near to being the best in PA. they need to open up the woods there, that could be a game-changer for them. I've had better snow conditions at Jack Frost more frequently than at Elk...and that's on a consistent basis. Elk def has the old-school vibe going for them, but not totally in the cute charming way. the base lodge cannot adequately handle the current number of visitors, just too small. I don't mind the slow lifts, keeps the trails less crowded. Elk is just an OK mtn and IMHO it gets too much hype for what it is.

that said, it is def worth a day trip once in a while.

• Like 1

Just now, guitar73 said:

now this is really funny! elk's terrain is OK, but def nowhere near to being the best in PA. they need to open up the woods there, that could be a game-changer for them. I've had better snow conditions at Jack Frost more frequently than at Elk...and that's on a consistent basis. Elk def has the old-school vibe going for them, but not totally in the cute charming way. the base lodge cannot adequately handle the current number of visitors, just too small. I don't mind the slow lifts, keeps the trails less crowded. Elk is just an OK mtn and IMHO it gets too much hype for what it is.

truth.com 

Blue Mountain and Camelback are both better than elk

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

no HSQ  = no GSS

Correct and the runs at elk are shorter than at Blue and you have to take a stupid cattle car to get from the lot to the lodge and I don’t want to drive an hour and a half to ski in PA or buy a $70 lift ticket.  When I first joined PASR I did PASR days at JF and Montage and Camelback but I’m just over it. Blue is the lowest I’ll go when it comes to skiing.  

I actually want to get up to stowe again. I miss it up there so maybe sometime this ski season 

10 minutes ago, guitar73 said:

I am willing to bet, out of all the ski joints in PA, JFBB has the best (coldest) average temps.  The difference in temps for JFBB really pay off in the beginning of the year.  They can slam the little tilted tabletop with snow for 24 hrs and open.  

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Correct and the runs at elk are shorter than at Blue and you have to take a stupid cattle car to get from the lot to the lodge and I don’t want to drive an hour and a half to ski in PA or buy a $70 lift ticket.  When I first joined PASR I did PASR days at JF and Montage and Camelback but I’m just over it. Blue is the lowest I’ll go when it comes to skiing.  

I actually want to get up to stowe again. I miss it up there so maybe sometime this ski season 

I get that.  There is no right or wrong here.  

I would rather spend $70 bucks to go ski Elk with some buddies than ski Blue by myself.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I get that.  There is no right or wrong here.  

I would rather spend $70 bucks to go ski Elk with some buddies than ski Blue by myself.  

I’m never by myself at Blue...I’ll believe this elk thing when it happens. Everybody has good intentions this time of year.  Odds are they’ll only have a few runs open and blue will be almost fully open.  If there’s no skiing that week at Blue like some seasons I’ll travel somewhere...pockets will be fat from Xmas bonus

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

I’m never by myself at Blue...I’ll believe this elk thing when it happens. Everybody has good intentions this time of year.  Odds are they’ll only have a few runs open and blue will be almost fully open.  If there’s no skiing that week at Blue like some seasons I’ll travel somewhere...pockets will be fat from Xmas bonus
It'll happen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used to be the biggest Elk groupie. I still enjoy the place and get there once every other year or so, but I do believe that Blue has better overall terrain. Only downside is that Blue’s runout is actually more boring/flatter than Elk’s. Sorry TP4, but I could never agree to CB being better than Elk. They have better snowmaking and lifts, but I actually think Elk has them beat with terrain. Elk shines because the conditions are usually better due to colder temps and less traffic. I bet Elk and JFBB have similar temps, but they have less vertical and a higher starting elevation. Plus their snowmaking is probably 8 times more powerful for the terrain they have.

2 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I used to be the biggest Elk groupie. I still enjoy the place and get there once every other year or so, but I do believe that Blue has better overall terrain. Only downside is that Blue’s runout is actually more boring/flatter than Elk’s. Sorry TP4, but I could never agree to CB being better than Elk. They have better snowmaking and lifts, but I actually think Elk has them best with terrain. Elk shines because the conditions are usually better due to colder temps and less traffic. I bet Elk and JFBB have similar temps, but they gave less vertical and a higher starting elevation. Plus their snowmaking is probably 8 times more powerful for the terrain they have.

RideDE are you planning on riding at Blue at all this season??  You’ll be able to get a free pass since you’re a ski patroller.