Peak news

JFskiDan

Welcome Liberty, Whitetail & Roundtop! 

Jack Frost & Big Boulder would like to extend a warm welcome to Liberty Mountain Resort, Whitetail Resort, and Roundtop Mountain Resort, to the Peak Resorts family! 

Today, Peak Resorts announced its intent to purchase these three unique properties - located just two hours down the road from us in south central Pennsylvania - bringing the Peak Resorts family to a total of 17 resorts across the country.  

It actually blows my mind that Peak has money to be buying up other resorts like they have.  

Press release - https://www.peakresorts.com/news-updates/snowtime/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=st_welcome&utm_content=jfbb

Edited by JFskiDan
ad stuff

8 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

hour and a half. liberty is 2 hours and whitetail is 2.5.  just weird how close roundtop is and i know little about it

It’s never been on my radar because it’s 600 vert but I’ve always been aware of Liberty, roundtop and whitetail. Ski Windham in New York used to own liberty and roundtop.

9 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

I wish they would buy something else in the pokes. I bet 90 percent of Peak pass holders never make it to more than 2 hills on the pass. 3 more places I’ll never go to.

I don’t think any resorts in the poconos are for sales and none of them would be as inexpensive as liberty roundtop and whitetail except for maybe like Tanglewood or Big bear

• Thanks 1

Why would a bank give them such a large loan?

We don’t know how they financed it. The previous company is privately held, so they may have offered to hold the debt on it with a modest down payment. If Peaks defaults they get the deposit plus the resorts back.

I'd bet Vail buys Peak resorts within a year.  

If Vail bought Peaks, they wouldn’t keep these. They would keep the real resorts like Attitash, Wildcat, Mount Snow, and Hunter. They would probably spin the PA mountains off into a different company and sell it.

While I like the idea of a Vail picking up Blue one day and classing up the joint, there's something pretty cool about Blue still being "mom & pop" owned yet annihilating the competition in skier visits. Plus blue is doing stuff (or trying to). Makes me feel better about dropping dough at Blue year in and year out.

What investments have Peak made in JFBB over the last however many years? Not being a dick but truly wondering. I really like Frost but it looks exactly the same as it did when I was there for my 6th grade ski trip making my friends jealous cause i was rocking out to Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue on the bus ride up. How will Roundtop, Whitetail etc. actually benefit? Or do they?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

While I like the idea of a Vail picking up Blue one day and classing up the joint, there's something pretty cool about Blue still being "mom & pop" owned yet annihilating the competition in skier visits. Plus blue is doing stuff (or trying to). Makes me feel better about dropping dough at Blue year in and year out.

What investments have Peak made in JFBB over the last however many years? Not being a dick but truly wondering. I really like Frost but it looks exactly the same as it did when I was there for my 6th grade ski trip making my friends jealous cause i was rocking out to Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue on the bus ride up. How will Roundtop, Whitetail etc. actually benefit? Or do they?

Mostly snowmaking, I believe. 

10 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Blue is a lot different than when I was rocking out to Milli Vanilli on my 6th grade ski trip. 

10 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

i'm not drinking the "i want vail to buy blue" cool aide. Yet.  "classing the joint up" will come with a price tag.  Easiest way to fund "classing the joint up" will be through ticket sales.  Dont bitch when the price of a fancy lower lodge (which i only go in to use the bathroom) or paved parking lot (which serves the same purpose as the lodge) comes at an increase in pass price.  I'm cool with a pass increase provided it benefits the skiing.  IMO, a fancy lodge, or paved parking lot doesnt benefit the skiing.  Snowmaking, grooming, etc benefit the skiing.  Lets sit back, and watch what goes on at Okemo this year before filling our Vail champagne flutes with Vail champagne.  

I am surprised Barb hasnt woke up one day and said, i dont need this, and cashed out.  .  Unless she truly loves running a weather dependent, high risk business.   Or maybe there is just nothing to cash out.  

Peak has added some new snowmaking equipment to Frost.  nothing super significant though.  I think one of the lifts at JFBB is being replaced.  Peak still blows my mind.  Take a day at Frost mid season on a Saturday and you just have to wonder how they make money.  Go to Blue on the same day, and they are carting off cash from ticket sales in dumptrucks.  And now they own 5 of the smallest PA resorts.  Personally, i thought after Hunter they would look to dump the smaller stuff, but it makes sense to keep them on their pass.  

The internet hub-bub is those three resorts will have resort specific season passes, vs the multi pass, which is the only pass you can buy at JFBB.  

• Like 1

Has there been any movement this year on the hotel or water park? Are these dead in the water, or still moving through regulatory agencies? The water park up top makes perfect sense due to the view. Why not scale back the hotel at the top and move it back a little from the AT and then build a larger hotel at the base where it’s flat and has less issues?