Any good CO winter break deals?

Ski2Live Live2Ski

Booked Copper, staying at Mountain Plaza near lift with indoor and outdoor hot tubs and shuttle to and from DIA. With skiing and rentals, flights and airport parking whole trip will run about $2200 + 40k miles + food  which I expect is more than I paid for all last season of skiing including Winter Park trip.

Could have saved about $300 by doing Loveland, renting a car, and staying at the cheapest place in Georgetown, but figure the Copper route will be a much better experience for about an extra 12%, so gonna live a little.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Ski2Live Live2Ski you catch a lot of slack on here but it’s awesome that you give your kids these experiences and memory’s. I could only dream of having parents that enjoyed skiing/riding, let alone taking ski vacations out west! Good for you, I’m sure your kids will remember these trips forever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Booked Copper, staying at Mountain Plaza near lift with indoor and outdoor hot tubs and shuttle to and from DIA. With skiing and rentals, flights and airport parking whole trip will run about $2200 + 40k miles + food  which I expect is more than I paid for all last season of skiing including Winter Park trip.

Could have saved about $300 by doing Loveland, renting a car, and staying at the cheapest place in Georgetown, but figure the Copper route will be a much better experience for about an extra 12%, so gonna live a little.

YOLO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Good deal. That’s less than what I spend on a ski trip for myself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't recall the brand. Awesome powdery day, dumping the whole time. Took some shots in Revolution bowl. Only took my camera out once so all shots are from same spot just pointing different directions.

Skied greens in the AM with the girls then blues and blacks and double blacks in the afternoon on my own.

20181224_124406.jpg

20181224_124421.jpg

20181224_124423.jpg

20181224_124426.jpg

20181224_124429.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Nice pics! Since I presume you mostly ski groomers when you're with your daughters, how does the snow quality compare out west to Vermont and Pa? For me the only reason to go west is change in scenary and more vert, since I dont ski perder.

Even the groomers had about 3" coating of untracked powdery snow on top of a firm but not icy surface, and it was coming down enough and uncrowded enough that you could get that surface through most of the day, particularly along the sides. It was about as ideal conditions as you could get. Girls made lots of turns in the trees alongside the trails too. Girls will go higher up and onto blues tomorrow, but the blacks here are too much for them. In PA they are good on blacks but so far largely avoid double blacks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mountain Plaza hotel location is ideal and outdoor hot tub is real nice but room itself has seen better days. Small bath with lame tub and hole in door where hook once was. 

Off to check out Xmas festivities with Santa leading a torchlight parade down mountain and kids parading with glowsticks (though my girls deemed themselves too mature to participate in that).

Been flying into DIA enough that I have a fav restaurant there I hit every time - Mesa Grill

• Like 3

Nice pics! Since I presume you mostly ski groomers when you're with your daughters, how does the snow quality compare out west to Vermont and Pa? For me the only reason to go west is change in scenary and more vert, since I dont ski perder.

There's a reason why Doug uses the term "Western groomers" in his TRs.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

There's a reason why Doug uses the term "Western groomers" in his TRs.

Last year, Stowe must have felt like western groomers because there was a few inches of ungroomed nearly every day, and it was by far the best skiing I've ever had. Guess it's like that all the time out west.

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

Great pics! They may not want to ski in Pa anymore.

They will certainly be game for the double blacks at Blue after this 

36 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

It’s great that you got them out there. Most guys in your situation would never get their kids into such pain in the ass activity to do with kids.

They really pull their weight and make it easy, and are real brave and dont hold me back much. It is a joy to share the activities I love with them. Just hope they remember and are willing to wait for me a couple years from now when they blow me away as skiers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1