Hunter Mtn 11.21.2018

antman12

Apologies for the worst trip report of the year.... Lemme try to redeem myself now that im in front of a computer...

First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Rolled out of my complex at 5am and arrived at the Town of Hunter at 810 which included a quick stop along the way. I wanted to get there early in hopes of finding a pair of pants at a local board shop in town and luckily, I was able to do exactly that. Pulled into the lot at 825, parked and walked inside to use the restroom and just walk around the lodge, since ive never been there. Back to the car to get ready and walked to the lift around 850. It was pretty windy with no sun in site which made for a cold day. The board at the top of the lift was being updated every couple hours and by my last run it read 16 degrees and 20mph winds...SMH.

I believe I got 3rd chair on the Kaatskill Fly-YA (bill burr voice), which is the only lift I rode all day. 11 trails were advertised but there was really only 2 ways down: Minya Konka - Lower Crossover - Off Broadway - Mossybrook AND ALSO Hellgate - 7th Avenue - Kennedy Drive. For the better part of the day I choose to take the Minya Konka way for a few reasons but the biggest reason being was it was just an easier way down. For somebody who doesn't care much for steeps/speed and rides a tiny freestyle board, the top half of the mountain had some challenging trails. A few Adrenalin rushes were had lol, but I do feel like I got a little better from this.

Conditions varied from powder, manmade powder, nice groomers and also the dreaded scrapped off ice. During my first two hour session the man made and natural powder was a lot of fun, especially on the top of Minya Konka. By my second two hour session starting around 1145 a lot of the snow was pushed off the center of the trails so I tried to stay on the outside. It did lightly snow from 11 till the time I left, well more so heavy flurries.

Like said above I did 2 roughly 2 hour sessions getting 9 runs during each. No lift lines and the only time I waited would be to ride the lift alone (with nobody else behind me in line). Only 5 park features 4 of which would be considered kiddie park features. Lame. I look forward to going back once the whole mountain is open, especially the new trails and lift on the north side.

This is total opinion, but I feel like their trail map could be done a lot better. The mountain feels much bigger than the trail map leads you to believe and the Kaatskill Flyer takes you 1600' in vertical in 7 minutes, impressive.

Overall a great day and like I said I look forward to going back later in the winter.

1.jpg

3.jpg

New pants

2.jpg

Edited by antman12
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

Was the terrain friendly? I’m heading up tomorrow and not sure if I should go solo or bring one or all of my daughters?

If they get belt parkway open which I imagine they will it will be fine for your kids.  Minya Konya and Hellgate are both fairly challenging runs.  

• Like 1

Hunter is a weird place. That mountain has no business having a ski resort on it, as the trails had to be blasted out of cliffs, with fences on the sides of trails keeping you from going over them. While it skis big, to me it feels like I’m just going through steep switchbacks repeatedly. It feels very manufactured for lack of a better term. I think belleayre, windham, and plattekill seem more like “normal” mountains. I think the new trails however will change the mountain dramatically as belt parkway was the only easy-ish way down from the top. The new trails look steeper than most blues do however.

I was a pass holder last few years on peak pass, and eventually just kept driving to mt snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rgrwilco said:

Hunter is a weird place. That mountain has no business having a ski resort on it, as the trails had to be blasted out of cliffs, with fences on the sides of trails keeping you from going over them. While it skis big, to me it feels like I’m just going through steep switchbacks repeatedly. It feels very manufactured for lack of a better term. I think belleayre, windham, and plattekill seem more like “normal” mountains. I think the new trails however will change the mountain dramatically as belt parkway was the only easy-ish way down from the top. The new trails look steeper than most blues do however.

I was a pass holder last few years on peak pass, and eventually just kept driving to mt snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After only being at Hunter for 4ish hours I picked up on and agree with most of all you wrote. I would like to get back there mid-winter, however.

7 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Hunter has the steepest terrain south of Vermont. 

Blockbuster at Platty is maybe steeper. Westway is legit though.

I like Hunter but don't like the crowds and its easier to put together unique runs and kinda get "lost" at Belle or Platty. Better glades too when the conditions are on.