Catskills Trip Questions

Mess

Have been looking into doing a few day trip to Catskills.  I have my wife(intermediate skier), 11 year old son(pretty good on most trails), 8 year old daughter Beginner and 5year old going.  The 2 young ones can ski for free in New York.  Leaning towards Belleayre but not sure if it will be good for multiple days.  Is Belleayre a good family Mountain?  Suggestions or info appreciated

NMSki and I had a similar discussion on the lift. Windham for families, it has the best big mountain feel with its two peaks. Belleayre for vertical, Plattekill for powder days and Hunter would be my last resort. Literally. 

Edited by RootDKJ

Just now, Mess said:

Belleayre seems to have some good lift prices.  Maybe I will hit Windham Friday then ski Belleayre on the weekend.  How crowded do they get

This time of year not crowded.  Mid winter weekends hunter and windham are crowded not sure about Belleayre.  Windham has the best light blue cruisers in the Catskills. Hunter has the best steeps. 

30 minutes ago, Mess said:

Belleayre seems to have some good lift prices.  Maybe I will hit Windham Friday then ski Belleayre on the weekend.  How crowded do they get

Windham gets so crazy crowded, way worse than Blue on weekends. Friday there is a good bet, finishing out the trip at Belleayre. 

I stayed at the Delaware court motel and the one place I stayed at with atomic Jeff between Belleayre and Phoenicia they gave remote control at the front desk. 

I also stayed at the Delaware Court Motel about 9 years ago, and it was rough. Plywood under the old floppy mattresses, worn carpet, and peeling wallpaper. They were in the process of an ownership change then, so I do believe there have been some updates since then. At $50 a night, it was worth the risk. I’d read the reviews first...

I hate bed bugs. When I started staying in hotels for work I contemplated buying the bed bug cocoon.  I have yet to see an actual single bed bug, and doing the bed bug check all the time is exhausting. I now just do a half fast check and call it a day.

Edited by saltyant

You can get bed bugs anywhere. We always do a bed bug check. 

I have also started doing this at some of the lower end hotels I stay at. I mostly aim for mid grade well known chain hotels, but sometimes even they are a bit run down. Haven’t seen any yet, but it doesn’t hurt to check.