Catskills - Poconos Analogous Mountains

Ski2Live Live2Ski

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

What is everybody's favorite type of deciduous tree? I really like the Tulip Poplar trees because of the leaf shape and how most of the time they will look tulip shaped, but also sometime you may have one of the sides missing that looks like a mitten. My next favorite would probably be Ginkgo trees because there leaves are so unique with their fan shape and tiny striations. Plus, they typically turn a beautiful yellow color in the fall.

The tree that used to be in the middle of Tannenbaum.  it was a fir tree, so its not deciduous, but i always thought it was cool that they left it there in the middle of the trail for people to run into.  It would have been neat if they could have put Christmas lights on it.  It got taken down by a storm a bunch of years ago. Trees in the Poconos dont have deep roots because of all the rock, so they are susceptible to being blown over by strong winds.  Many years ago RidgeRacer pointed out that Tannenbaum is German for fir tree, which also can be loosely translated to "Christmas Tree", hence the song "O Tannenbaum", which the modern day lyrics were written in 1824, by Ernst Anschütz.  Anschütz based his text on a 16th-century Silesian folk song by Melchior Franck, "Ach Tannenbaum". August Zarnack in 1819 wrote a tragic love song inspired by this folk song, taking the evergreen, "faithful" fir tree as contrasting with a faithless lover. The folk song first became associated with Christmas with Anschütz, who added two verses of his own to the first, traditional verse. The custom of the Christmas tree developed in the course of the 19th century, and the song came to be seen as a Christmas carol. Anschütz's version still had treu (true, faithful) as the adjective describing the fir's leaves (needles), harking back to the contrast to the faithless maiden of the folk song. This was changed to grün (green) at some point in the 20th century, after the song had come to be associated with Christmas.  

this reminds me that i have done very little Christmas shopping, and that bugs the crap out of me.  However, i am fairly positive i am getting new ski socks for Christmas, so i am very excited about that.  

• Like 8

Speaking of Christmas songs. I've always been partial to "I Saw Three Ships". Always gave me that Colonial Christmas vibe which I dig. I sort of envision John Adams (who was from Boston) waking up every Christmas morning and heading to Boston Harbor to celebrate the arrival of three ships that were decked out in Holiday lights. Granted Holiday lights didn't exist back then but this is my vision. So in my mind the three ships were decorated like the Griswold's house. And no they weren't tacky and yes they were "low e" lights, ensuring that the carbon footprint was minimal.

Anyway...the three ships, twinkling brightly, would bring food for the Colony in the form of porridge and meat pie as well as ale and cider. Adams would be the master of ceremonies as the ships arrived to the sound of fife and drum. The colonists would then partake in a huge Christmas celebration...right there on the harbour, which was set up with hundreds of tables for the people to enjoy their Christmas feast!

Long story short, the song "I Saw Three Ships" was written (in my mind) in celebration of this fictitious annual, colonial celebration that I made up.

How about all of you? What's your favorite holiday song...and why?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Speaking of Christmas songs. I've always been partial to "I Saw Three Ships". Always gave me that Colonial Christmas vibe which I dig. I sort of envision John Adams (who was from Boston) waking up every Christmas morning and heading to Boston Harbor to celebrate the arrival of three ships that were decked out in Holiday lights. Granted Holiday lights didn't exist back then but this is my vision. So in my mind the three ships were decorated like the Griswold's house. And no they weren't tacky and yes they were "low e" lights, ensuring that the carbon footprint was minimal.

Anyway...the three ships, twinkling brightly, would bring food for the Colony in the form of porridge and meat pie as well as ale and cider. Adams would be the master of ceremonies as the ships arrived to the sound of fife and drum. The colonists would then partake in a huge Christmas celebration...right there on the harbour, which was set up with hundreds of tables for the people to enjoy their Christmas feast!

Long story short, the song "I Saw Three Ships" was written (in my mind) in celebration of this fictitious annual, colonial celebration that I made up.

How about all of you? What's your favorite holiday song...and why?

Great read. Thanks for sharing that. 

Mine is can of ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’, especially the version by Josh Hyslop below. Something about the tune, the tone, and the lyrics make me feel relaxed and reminisce of old childhood holiday memories with family that are no longer here, or just innocent childhood times.

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1

Great read. Thanks for sharing that. 
Mine is can of ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’, especially the version by Josh Hyslop below. Something about the tune, the tone, and the lyrics make me feel relaxed and reminisce of old childhood holiday memories with family that are no longer here, or just innocent childhood times.

That's beautiful. Thank you for that.