12-14-18 : There's a mountain out here somewhere

indiggio

Son had his last final this morning and Groomer Dan from Blue was back in town for a few days and could only ski today, so I decided to take the day off and ski the morning, then head up to Wilkes-Barre to pick the kid up and kill two birds with one day off.

Rolled into the valley at 8:00am to find only about the lower 1/3 of the mountain visible through the fog.   They were working on grooming school hill out.  Why they wouldn't leave the whales for the incoming rain is a wonder.  The quad was running and some maintenance guys were doing something with the 6-pack.  Other than that, the place was pretty vacant, except for a couple of cars here and there.  Walked through the lodge to find they still had some setup to do, as there was still a bunch of crap piled on the bar.

4 of us lined up at the quad at open.  Paradise looked to be open, so I made my way to it through the dense fog..  Up at the top, visibility was about 10', if that.  The snow was buttery soft and held a perfect edge, except there were surprise rollers, ditches and divots that would come out of nowhere.

Caught up with the other bumpers and we skied the rest of the mountain, even Burma.  Snow was superb everywhere.  The warmth and the mist did away with all the marbles.

Skiing the bumps was challenging, since you could only ski them by feel, but they had just been reseeded and were soft, so they broke in easily.  Also skied the spines which also had some excellent snow.

Overall the snow was excellent, probably the best it's been on all year so far.  Would have been an excellent day, if the visibility wasn't so horrible.

• Like 4