Huntaaaah 12.27.2018

antman12

Hello all, just got back from another great day at Hunter Mountain. Rolled outta my place a bit after 5am, made really good time and was in the lift corral by 825. I could tell that it was going to be busy by the amount of people already in the lot and lift corral. I originally planned on going tomorrow (Friday), but the weather is looking terrible so I decided today was the day. 32 and sunny all day, perfect! snow conditions were varied with a lot of really really nice man made snow but unfortunately many spots on the mountain were scrapped off and icy.

First run was down "Jimmie Heuga Express" so I could duct into the woods for a quick safety break, then down "drop off" which was my first time since its been previously closed. Second run was "Belt Parkway" to the brand new, recently opened "Hunter North", the largest east coast terrain expansion in 15+ years! First run was down a blue "Overlook", LMAO this was not a typical blue. It cleared up the term "a hunter blue". I doubt the picture will do it justice. I took 5-7 runs over at Hunter North thru out the day, definitely very fun trails. Oh by the way the new 6 chairlift "Northern Express brings you 1000' of vertical in 3 minutes and 40 seconds!

Thru out the rest of the day I pretty much hit the whole mountain, The main face, Hunter West and Hunter North. Obviously not all trails were opened but I covered the mountain. Oh! They fully opened the summit lodge! Not just bathrooms and first aid anymore, but a full Cafe/Restaurant serving anything from coffee to ribs! I saw my Nazareth friends again, this time at the lodge and sorta ate lunch with them.  Ill get a picture next time but this place was pretty cool. Thanks for reading and some pics below.

Coffee/safety break...

image.thumb.png.3dc01ad63417f321a3797d81e56eab9d.png

Top of Hunter North and the new lift from the existing trail "Belt Parkway"

image.thumb.png.d87da8e9e150bfe49d89d558d4df3461.png

Bottom of the new lift at Hunter North...

image.thumb.png.f3469d6c8f6dbbe4f9de2ca08d4540ef.png

Idk if the picture will do it justice, but this is not a blue! lol

image.thumb.png.7587b987ee442dc8678d1f9dee86b4b7.png

And finally my total "stats" for the day.

image.png

Edited by antman12
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

You’re having a great season so far. That peak pass is doing you well.

For sure and thanks! Haha, Remember sitting on the lift opening day at BB and me saying how Hunter was one of the big factors in getting this pass? At that time I would have never expected to ride here this much. Doing well for me indeed. 

9 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

Damn ant, you’re gonna get the high mileage award this season.

oh wait, no you won’t, because your stats are completely missing. 

Ill enter my total number of days at the end of the year. Id currently be in second place with 19 days, but Ill be quickly passed now that a lot of you ride nights at Blue. :cheers:

On 12/27/2018 at 8:42 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

So what exactly is a hunter blue?  You should see the blues at Jackson hole. Steeper than razors and the double blues are steep

Just today Hunter updated a few trails on their trail map to blues with diamonds in them. Including "Overlook", the trail I mentioned in OP.

image.png.9de9c6852fa0ddcd84b8bb78b08f498b.png

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Schif said:

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of a double blue square? Which I think a few mountains used to use. 

Plenty of ski areas use double blues.  I know camelback did and Jackson hike uses double blues.  In Europe they use reds as an in between intermediate and advanced.