1/1/19...fun mild day

Really sorry to hear about this. Not going to jump to any conclusions but damn... That bar is there for a reason. This shouldn't happen to anyone. Again I don't want to jump to conclusions as I have no idea what happened. Perhaps the bar was down. When I was younger I wasn't as cognizant about the bar as I am now and it was stupid. All I know is my heart goes out to that kids parents. So sorry to hear this.

• Like 4

Wonder if Steeze is going to respond to this one. Not sure what this guy is arguing...? That ski resorts should discourage people from skiing...? And Steeze should go to Bear Creek instead because it's the same as Blue.
"It takes about 3 minutes to go from top to bottom on this "mountain." This is not a mountain. I taught skiing in Colorado where real mountains exist. This is the result of too many people who don't know what they are doing on one slope. The ski area encourages masses to come and buy lift tickets. And they profit handsomely. I skiied at Blue Mountain when it was Little Gap. I have skiied there since it became Blue Mountain. The terrain at Blue Mountain is no more challenging than Doe Mountain, now Bear Creek. Nobody should ever die at Blue Mountain. Their problem is that too many people who have no idea how to ski populate their slopes. They encourage this..............now a kid is dead. That's not right."

I don't even know what to say. They encourage this? Really??

I hate the internet...
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Really sorry to hear about this. Not going to jump to any conclusions but damn... That bar is there for a reason. This shouldn't happen to anyone. Again I don't want to jump to conclusions as I have no idea what happened. Perhaps the bar was down. When I was younger I wasn't as cognizant about the bar as I am now and it was stupid. All I know is my heart goes out to that kids parents. So sorry to hear this.

It’s just crazy in the Rockies how few people use safety bars and sit nonchalant in the middle of a quad or six pack with the bar up and not holding onto anything.   As much as I like the skiing at Loveland Colorado, almost every lift has no bar so I have a deathgrip and one day when it was really windy my fat skis were being picked up like sails. Was extra spicy.  

51 minutes ago, Barb said:

People out here seem to have a thing against the bar. I get dirty looks and sighs from most when I say it’s coming down. 

There’s people in Jackson hole who think just riding lifts is wimpy.  They love when I say,”coming down”.  At belleayre they say over the loudspeaker,”bar down” I’ve also seen ski patrollers at various areas telling people bar down. 

I found an old article where a guy was killed in 2004 snowtubing down Main Street. I'm sure you guys remember that. A guy I worked with at Eagle Rock snowtubed down the double black, which isn't White Lightning but still has some steep pitch. Incredibly stupid. At least he's still alive and even got it on video.

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, momskeeztoo said:

Snow tubing is probably the most dangerous thing on the mountain. Zero control. 

Well but it’s in a track..I found the mountain coaster at camelback kind of herky jerky was not a fan but I loved the alpine slide even though it was semi dangerous.  Here’s a video from a Zorb accident in Russia.  

New year means introspection and gosh the blue season is almost 1/3 over..wow just wow...now can we just have some polar vortex...a snowstorm or six and a partridge in a pear tree.  

Remember this Salty..a decade ago???

https://gizmodo.com/5125679/guy-gets-trapped-on-ski-lift-hangs-bare-ass-naked-for-15-minutes/

1 hour ago, Shadows said:

I noticed that too barb. Must be the whole rookie mtn harcore thing.

I think you are right. The whole hardcore thing, pretty ridiculous. Everyone trying to one up each other. Like; “I went for a hike today”. “But I hiked a 14er today.”  “Well I rode my bike from Boulder to Estes Park, hiked Longs Peak...before work.”  Kind of gets exhausting 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Barb said:

I think you are right. The whole hardcore thing, pretty ridiculous. Everyone trying to one up each other. Like; “I went for a hike today”. “But I hiked a 14er today.”  “Well I rode my bike from Boulder to Estes Park, hiked Longs Peak...before work.”  Kind of gets exhausting 

In Jackson hole it’s..ride bike to a lake..swim across lake..summit grand Teton..climb back down the grand, swim back across the lake..ride back to Jackson..refill Nalgene bottle in a mountain stream then  hop on a wild elk and ride off into the sunrise. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

In Jackson hole it’s..ride bike to a lake..swim across lake..summit grand Teton..climb back down the grand, swim back across the lake..ride back to Jackson..refill Nalgene bottle in a mountain stream then  hop on a wild elk and ride off into the sunrise. 

That’s what I’m planning on doing out there this year!  And in winter, so way more core. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, saltyant said:

People on Facebook are making comments like "this is why I stick to snowtubing", but I argued that's not entirely safe either and no one wears helmets.

Everyone is a cop/lawyer/firefighter/expert on Facebook. 

36 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

New year means introspection and gosh the blue season is almost 1/3 over..wow just wow...now can we just have some polar vortex...a snowstorm or six and a partridge in a pear tree.  Remember this Salty..a decade ago???

Thanks for sharing. Those pics were more than I needed to see however.

The bar goes down on every lift ride for me. Once you pull it down and get a ski on it, it’s not going back up. I’ve had people complain on the lift about it. Too bad, if they don’t like the bar down, they are free to find another chair. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Well but it’s in a track..I found the mountain coaster at camelback kind of herky jerky was not a fan but I loved the alpine slide even though it was semi dangerous.  Here’s a video from a Zorb accident in Russia.  

Haha. He Alpine Slide was great. 

7 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

The bar goes down on every lift ride for me. Once you pull it down and get a ski on it, it’s not going back up. I’ve had people complain on the lift about it. Too bad, if they don’t like the bar down, they are free to find another chair. 

What gets me is that people on detachables will try to put the bar up a few towers before the top where you're still some 20' above the ground.
Really you could leave the bar down until you get into the station and still have time to put it up and get off.

When i ride with strangers, I keep my skis on the bar until we're almost in the station just to torque the other people on the chair.
If they say something to me, I just ask: "Would you want to fall from this height?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1