Northern Vt skifari

tarponhead

Day 3: Smuggs (BOGO)
Got a PM from Moe Ghoul offering to show us around. Pretty friggin cool! Arranged to meet after lunch. We started on some groomers off the Madonna chair to warm up. It was apparent smuggs got a bit More snow than MRV. A lot of the black runs are still closed off the Madonna chair but FIS and Doc Dempsey we’re open. FIS has whales and weird bump line on each side of the whales so only did once. Doc Dempsey was loud up top but had some pretty friggin good snow after that so opted to do a couple of times.
Hooked up with Moe Ghoul after a quick lunch and we went to the sterling chair. Moe explained the snow at this time of year can be better than Madonna and true dat. A non- groomed blue off the top had epic crud piles which were awesome. After Moe peaced out #2 and I stayed on the sterling chAir and ran that top blue and (kinda sorta poached bootlegger) a bit then hit highland powder keg glades which made for great bump skiing. I knocked it off a little before last chair and #2 got one more. Awesome day and many many thanks to Moe Ghouls generosity, it is appreciated!
a67b091845a575d12e6f488e9527cdc2.jpg5fdfe1b9a732ccb72114cce71334d1a0.jpg7d844910c08e9ccaf999f6e3853f2565.jpg

• Like 8

Now there's real potential for a significant storm, one that will look initially like a decayed and mostly occluded  Pacific storm that will seek a makeover along the New England coastline and hopefully attain nor'easter status before exiting by Wednesday January 9th. Making all of this happen and happen in the 15-30 inch snowfall kind of way, will require an important polar kicker (an upper air impulse in the northern stream that can be thought of as a PED for east coast storms) and a somewhat optimal track that allows both the necessary amounts of moisture and while limiting the amounts of warm air. We have some leeway here regarding the latter since we have established some loose consensus regarding the track of this storm and that some limited amounts of colder air will indeed be available across interior New England and interior New England only. The "polar kicker" remains a question mark however at least somewhat. If, how and when this infusion takes place are questions that remain still unanswered. The good news is that a "downside scenario" still should involve some accumulating snow (just less than 10 inches). The other good news is that the lack of arctic air might actually serve us well and make for a more unstable atmosphere Wednesday and thus enhancing our terrain enhanced snow prospects.

:chea:

• Like 2

Day 4: Jay
Upper 20sF. First day of trip with full price. Checked Burke’s trail status and opted for jay. 50 min drive from Lyndon. Hit Bonnie chair first and ran a groomer to the jet pod. Hard pack or ice. Yup, that type of day. Strategy was to move from lookers right to left and search for the best stuff. #2 went down kitzbeuhel despite me telling him ice ice moguls. I skied the ice rink of jet. No winners. We then went to kitzwoods. Much better. But up top I failed to execute a required turn and was a tree hugger (to paraphrase GSS; ski good or hug wood). No worries. Lower kitzwoods was the bomb though.
Bonnie chair to canyonland glades which normally flow good for me was a bust. Not enough base. To many unexpected crevasses/streams. But power line bumps where $ so that was fun. CanAm and river quai while technically open was a “yeah, no”.

Saw no point in tram (but hardy souls where hitting the head wall goods) so traversed to the flyer. Pomaline was damn fun. Huge ice bumps but skied in tight so fun and partially avoided the the bowling ally trails everyone else on. Andres and beaver pond skied great. So did north and northwest passage glades. Lower Everglades skied great but I track to far left and had to noodle back. JFK was great or horrendous depending on how far or tight the ice bumps were (tighter is better). We skied until 3:30 and called it a day. Not epic. Sometimes quite fun, sometimes sweet Jesus get me out of here (most trails).
Heading home tomorrow. Jay may get 6” by noon tomorrow, but we are done. No pics aside from iconic head wall tram shot.
e3d3aec7133d95aabd9316bef3382514.jpg

• Like 7