JF 1/6

eaf

Another beautiful day at JF today.

The morning has greeted me with lead skies and soft, groomed snow. Racing activity was above usual, and as I've learnt, it was because another team from a sister mountain Liberty has come to practice, so they were looping both Challenge and Dematte's. Rumor is there is no snow at Liberty.

Surface quality was as good as last week, but snow is getting real thin in a few places: just a couple of inches on top of Thunderbolt, thankfully still 2-3 feet on Challenge. Hopefully tonight they'll blast the slopes with new snow.

Crowds were below what I saw last week, and that's surprising given than today is youth day at JFBB - everybody who's younger than 17yo is paying only $17. Me being no youth got hit with a $3 surcharge instead - something about electrical company giving them hard time. Still sucks having to pay extra on already prepaid tickets.

Around 10am lead turned blue, wind subsided, and it became quite magical.

With not too many people around the snow is holding quite well. I was gonna leave at noon but I think will stick around for another couple of hours.

Edited by eaf
  • Like 3

Just now, saltyant said:

Thanks wow great report! I'm surprised you're skiing at JF since I thought you have a season pass to True Blue. I plan to get back to Jackson Frost if that cold you promised ever gets here.

I was at Blue last Wednesday. Will most likely be on coming Wednesday as well.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, eaf said:

I was at Blue last Wednesday. Will most likely be on coming Wednesday as well.

Hopefully conditions will be better by then. If so maybe I'll go night skiing. Today conditions were horrendous but the sausage and shrimp were excellent.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1

Was also out for a couple of hours this morning. Left just as the sun was coming out. Rivershot was pretty quiet first thing. Both Liberty and Roundup race teams are using their Peak affiliation to practice at JF at times. Fortunately Demattes was closed for practice, not Challenge.

No problem with my Liftopia voucher, but I was there about 7:20, so maybe the word hadn't gotten out yet. Or maybe it was my outgoing personality.