PPL Surcharge

AtomicSkier

Saw this on instagram earlier...apparently JFBB has been handing out these cards with ticket purchases?  It explains why someone on here had to pay $3 (or whatever it was) on top of the their voucher.  I don't think it's right for JFBB to be airing their dirty laundry and making it their customer's problem.

fullsizeoutput_e36.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I'm going to lean on the side of JFBB dropping the ball on this one, but i can be way off base here.  Electric rates are published, and change maybe twice a year or something.  I looked sometime in the fall, and saw the the residential rate was actually going down on Jan 1.  Looking at their published price to compare sheets, it appears as though commercial rates were increased.  I think they should have known this.  It was published in the fall.  As we all know, electric is the biggest expense for any ski resort in the area.  Its my understanding electric cost for huge users are negotiated ahead of time.  I know if i was planning on using a metric shit ton of electric, i would probably keep a close eye on cost.  All of the suppliers i work with will always give me a heads up when there is going to be a cost increase.  I would be interested to hear PPL''s side.  I find it kind of bizarre that this came as a big surprise to JFBB, that their biggest operating expense was going to be increased.  

The other question is, did they know this, but ignore it, thinking they would be able to produce most of their snow before Jan 1?  December kind of sucked for snowmaking.  

Did season passholders incur a surcharge as well?  Did the race team assholes?

It looks as though Blue, Montage, and Elk, are also serviced by PPL.  So, they are just sucking up the price increase?

A quick google search reveals this from November 2nd. 

The new rates translate into a savings of about $4.10 a month for a typical residential customer, to $129.20, according to PPL spokesman Joe Nixon, while the business customer will see an increase of $4.68 per month, to $117.78.

Large commercial and industrial customers shop for their own power, with the generation rate for large industrial customers based on hourly market prices, Nixon said.

https://www.mcall.com/business/mc-biz-ppl-price-to-compare-20181102-story.html

Ok, so now im really thinking JFBB dropped the fucking ball.  Dropped the fucking ball, let it roll down Floyds and into the Lehigh River and was swept away.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Did season passholders incur a surcharge as well? 

No. I'm not sure when this started but I didn't get this surcharge on Saturday 01.12.19 as a pass holder.

Informative post BTW. 

Edited by antman12

Electricity generators and distributors are highly regulated industries.  There's no way they dropped a commercial rate increase with out notifying PA's equivalent of Board of Public Utilities who in turn, told PPL they had to notify all affected customers.

My guess is PPL probably put a notice in JFBB's last bill, which nobody looks at or reads anyway.

Pretty confused how they can charge a surcharge on tickets that sold on Cyber Monday.  I looked at the voucher and there is no mention of changing the price.  I will not pay a surcharge.  I wonder if they have been reported to the better business bureau.

I really enjoy JF for my kids and we go to Mount Snow almost every year.  I will not be going again if this is the way they will be doing business.

22 minutes ago, Mess said:

Pretty confused how they can charge a surcharge on tickets that sold on Cyber Monday.  I looked at the voucher and there is no mention of changing the price.  I will not pay a surcharge.  I wonder if they have been reported to the better business bureau.

I really enjoy JF for my kids and we go to Mount Snow almost every year.  I will not be going again if this is the way they will be doing business.

If i can find an article by doing a quick google search that says commercial rates are going up, i dont see how they can spin this off on PPL.  I think thats kind of shitty of them.  

Just for funsies, i am going to email them.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

If i can find an article by doing a quick google search that says commercial rates are going up, i dont see how they can spin this off on PPL.  I think thats kind of shitty of them.  

Just for funsies, i am going to email them.  

Please keep us posted on that. I'm interested how this all plays out. 

I generally ski from open -1:00 at Jack Frost.  Even with my discount voucher and surcharge it will be $45.50.  It is a longer ride but I can ski Elk for $47.00 from 8:30-12:30. And my kids are actually cheaper there.  I will remember this next year.

4 minutes ago, Mess said:

I generally ski from open -1:00 at Jack Frost.  Even with my discount voucher and surcharge it will be $45.50.  It is a longer ride but I can ski Elk for $47.00 from 8:30-12:30. And my kids are actually cheaper there.  I will remember this next year.

If blue has the $399 season pass deal again that might be the best deal for you and you get the remainder of this season free as well.