Smuggs/Stowe 2019

moe ghoul

Sunday funday, 15-18" with thigh high drifts. Went up early and skied 2 untracked runs off M1, Black Hole to Freefall, Then upper FIS to Dempsey's. Pristine powder, a wee denser than I thought. Temps started at 2 degrees and by the time I hiked over to Stowe it was a balmy 10 degrees. We met at the bottom of the Sensation quad and opted to stay on Spruce, low crowds and less chunder. Skied a run down Sterling and we opted to stick to some glades for less bumpiness. Stowe gets tracked out pretty quickly. Did 4 runs there and headed back to Smuggs. Dennis's daughter is on a race team and was up at Stowe for training. She tweaked her knee and he had to check out and take her home. Took him 3 hours to get to Stowe from S. Burlington; Mountain Road was a Joey show with baloney skin tires.

Ryan and I did  2 bowl runs off Sterling to the Notch road.  Temps started dropping below 0 and the winds were picking up by the time I got to my car. Still snowing pretty hard right now. I think we will total out over 20" by Monday AM. Now, I'm gonna "serve" Toast with pics.....cuz it happened. Gondy rides were unnecessary due to 10 degree temps and mild wind. So, maybe gondy pix another day. Smuggs conditions are way better than Stowe due to smaller crowds and slowski doubles. Quality over quantity rules. Just my opinion, still nice to be able to go over there.

Stowe:

IMG_6265.thumb.jpg.6a5fb50bddf2a6ae1d8d72cd0119896c.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6267.jpg

• Like 9

602314259_thedude.jpg.e40f70624758479b47fed3a89794a726.jpg

Season total so far is 221" and Smuggs tends to underreport. Gonna stay deep for a while, cold air is locked in with a little warm up Tues/Wednesday and a shot at another smaller dump of snow with a sprinkling of flurries. Then resumption of cold air and............................more snow into the weekend. Good time to be stuck in VT. If anyone is thinking of coming to VT, now is about as good as it gets.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Reading an interesting article about Smuggs in the current SKI rag.

Cracking me up about Lot 1’s description and thinking about how Blue’s valley lot is just like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read it earlier.  

https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/smugglers-notch-there-goes-the-neighborhood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't even crack open the new issue yet. Nice write up. Another tidbit: Smuggs is the only resort in at least VT that has an unlimited supply of water for snowmaking ever since they laid pipe and a pumping station in the Lamoille River 2 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smuggs has always been a favorite of our family; wife's cousin was director of construction so we got some great deals. Last time there the only time my wife and son saw a trail on Madonna was to cross it to get to the woods on the other side. One of the best for sure. Please stay independant!

1 hour ago, mgguy said:

Smuggs has always been a favorite of our family; wife's cousin was director of construction so we got some great deals. Last time there the only time my wife and son saw a trail on Madonna was to cross it to get to the woods on the other side. One of the best for sure. Please stay independant!

Nice! The most recent rumor I heard was an offer for 10 million was turned down. Maybe Vail will pick up Jay, it's on the blocks and a little more consistent with their portfolio. There's already some RE speculation in play near the resort that I've observed. Some new construction on 108 and a restaurant that went belly up that I looked at got bought at a tax sale last January and the new owner hasn't done anything with it.