2019 saltyant Trip Stoke Thread

saltyant

I once sat on a plane in taxi for 6 hours waiting for it to be de-iced. Luckily it was a red eye so I slept almost the entire time, but was extremely confused when I woke up at 10am in Orlando on a flight that should’ve taken 2 hours and had a scheduled takeoff of at 2am. Got a $300 refund which essentially paid for all of it so it wasn’t the worst nap I’ve taken. 

• Thanks 1

That flight radar is pretty cool.  I've been playing with it a little bit tonight. I'm also a big fan of https://www.marinetraffic.com/ . 

I feel bad for anyone that gets diverted to Harrisburg. You land in Middletown where I used to live which has exactly nothing in it. OK there was one decent brewery and a Sheetz. But that's it. The cool thing about living near the Harrisburg airport was watching the planes. That airport was originally built as an Air Force Base and still has a little Air Force presence. They also have a decent sized cargo plane program for FedEx and UPS. The coolest thing about the airport there was the fact that it's proximity to DC, the relatively low traffic in and out and the fact that it houses an air base meant that Air Force 1 was a regular sight in the skies above town. They used to fly to Harrisburg to practice touch and gos which were awesome to watch from the cell phone lot of the airport right next to the fence. 

• Thanks 1

I wonder if there are more flights on flightradar24, or more ships on marinetraffic. Anyone care to count?

At least two flights headed to AVP were diverted to IAD (Dulles), and one flight inbound from ATL turned back. Doesn't look like any planes were diverted to MDT (Harrisburg) despite the runway being available and not iced up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schif said:

That flight radar is pretty cool.  I've been playing with it a little bit tonight. I'm also a big fan of https://www.marinetraffic.com/ . 

I feel bad for anyone that gets diverted to Harrisburg. You land in Middletown where I used to live which has exactly nothing in it. OK there was one decent brewery and a Sheetz. But that's it. The cool thing about living near the Harrisburg airport was watching the planes. That airport was originally built as an Air Force Base and still has a little Air Force presence. They also have a decent sized cargo plane program for FedEx and UPS. The coolest thing about the airport there was the fact that it's proximity to DC, the relatively low traffic in and out and the fact that it houses an air base meant that Air Force 1 was a regular sight in the skies above town. They used to fly to Harrisburg to practice touch and gos which were awesome to watch from the cell phone lot of the airport right next to the fence. 

I had no idea about Air Force One doing touch and goes there. I was certain I saw Air Force One over the Harrisburg area off I-81 several years ago, but the president wasn't in town... maybe it was afterall...

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

I still occasionally see C130s do touch and gos at ABE. 

What was really cool is when Ft. Indiantown would fly A10s through the valley at Blue and you would be eye level with the cockpits. 

Saw A-10s over Hazleton a few times... many, many years ago. I very rarely see any military aircraft doing exercises over PA these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Saw A-10s over Hazleton a few times... many, many years ago. I very rarely see any military aircraft doing exercises over PA these days.

Yeah they’ve condensed many of the smaller bases to larger ones and closed them. My dad was at Willow Grove NAS until it closed. He was part of a combat camera unit and was responsible for the photography and videography of the air shows at the base. I basically got a pit pass for the runway. It was pretty awesome but I didn’t appreciate it as much as I would now. I just thought big planes and helicopters were cool. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, saltyant said:

I wonder if there are more flights on flightradar24, or more ships on marinetraffic. Anyone care to count?

At least two flights headed to AVP were diverted to IAD (Dulles), and one flight inbound from ATL turned back. Doesn't look like any planes were diverted to MDT (Harrisburg) despite the runway being available and not iced up.

Salty this just came up in my Facebook feed..wow look at all the Perder at Stowe. 

B5E71755-0C98-4380-B8F3-769840118642.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Wow that's rad! That was basically me two Wednesdays ago except my helmet is black, my coat is black, I wore a face mask, and my poles are blue.

My poles got bent in Jackson hole..anyway the stowe bus trip can stay at the Commodores..you can room with Matt edge...me and Nastar Glenn can chaperone.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, saltyant said:

I would do a weekend trip to Stowe if I hadn't sunk $326 into a nonrefundable reservation.... and if weekend skiing didnt suck so damn much.

I’m looking at Colorado flights right now for mid April.  Looking like direct in Southwest is about $300.  Do I book or wait for something better.  Should I wear my ski boots onto the plane??

• Love 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m looking at Colorado flights right now for mid April.  Looking like direct in Southwest is about $300.  Do I book or wait for something better.  Should I wear my ski boots onto the plane??

Check American Airlines basic economy prices. Are you flying out of Nork again, or Philadelphia? You should try Frontier but all I could find were red eye flights that took off Two Minutes To Midnight (tm) and landed at the crack of dawn. I'm excited to hear about your ski-fari adventures. Where are you skiing in Colorado? Loveland is pretty sick.

Edited by saltyant

On 2/15/2019 at 3:06 PM, saltyant said:

Check American Airlines basic economy prices. Are you flying out of Nork again, or Philadelphia? You should try Frontier but all I could find were red eye flights that took off Two Minutes To Midnight (tm) and landed at the crack of dawn. I'm excited to hear about your ski-fari adventures. Where are you skiing in Colorado? Loveland is pretty sick.

Loveland and Abasin for sure.  Not sure where else..I might look into Liftopia to see if there are any deals. Sometimes their one deal at abasin includes a bacon Bloody Mary.  

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Maybe I'll go to Copper this year. It would be fun to stay at a ski in ski out lodge right next to the ski resort - especially if I can find a deal with discounted lift tickets. @Ski2Live Live2Ski never pays window price for lift tickets. Also I'm researching taking a shuttle from the airport instead of renting a car to help justify the higher lodging expense. It should be radical. 

9 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Go to JH with Doug. 

Thanks for the invite. However Jackson Hole is a mountain for elite experts who jump off cliffs, do double black mogul runs, and ski trees. I'd rather have a plethora of groomed blue or black/blue runs to go down.

Edited by saltyant

Just now, saltyant said:

Thanks for the invite. However Jackson Hole is a mountain for elite experts who jump off cliffs, do double black mogul runs, and ski trees. I'd rather have a plethora of groomed blue or black/blue runs to go down.

You could ski the groomers there and would really enjoy it. I think going on a trip out west with some of us could really help you improve on terrain like that. Not trying to be funny when I say you should go. They know that mountain better than any of us and it helps to be with people who know the place and can help you improve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1