Jackson hole 2/5-2/13...

GrilledSteezeSandwich

2/10/19

Day 5 of 7

*****Powder day*****

Hey All,

I’m finished with another fun day at Jackson hole mountain resort. Arrived at the bottom of the gondola at 745am and were the first in line.  We were joined by two snowboarders from Denver who work in the marijuana industry.  At around 910am after a couple of rounds of avalanche bombs the liftees got the all clear from top shack and we had first civilian gondola.  Ampitheater to the thunder chair was so deep.  I was screaming.  Up thunder and down grand to the Sublette chair..holy shit so deep and I was getting mouthfuls of snow every other turn...was amaze balls.  Atomic Jeff got a picture of me I’m sure he’ll post later.  

Up Sublette and over to the cirque which was completely untracked..that’s where I got a picture of Atomic Jeff where you could only see his head..we got more pow pow wow perder off the nez perce traverse...back to thunder.  By now alot of the Colorado Ikon pass people had made it up the mountain and most of them were here for their first trip and had no idea where to go which meant more untracked for Moi...to get three untracked runs on the left side of Grand is unheard of.  Had two untracked in the cirque as well...

Liftlines were not as bad as I thought they would be I think some were blindesided by the 9” of new snow as of 6am which was more like 15” for opening.  The only places you really felt bottom were areas that were heavily moguled before. I also had my second best Hobacks run..will be hard to top the 21” day back in 2016 where it was deep right to the bottom but the middle of the Hobacks had tons of untracked and ample faceshots while the entrance and exit were a little rough.  At the base of the Hobacks there was still like 8” of new blower.   All in all today we skied something like 16,000 vert which is a good amount but not crazy but at least 2/3 of that was untracked powder and th majority of the rest was lightly tracked where you crossed some tracks but could make turns in untracked swaths...

Action shots to come later..no scenic shots..oh and I only fell in one tree well today but I extracted myself out pretty easily.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, toast21602 said:

You must have a boner from all the likes you will get these next three days!!!!

Nothing will top the day you went to elk I think you had 90 likes. That was great..I wish you were around to give me a high five or a manly hug so some of that mojo could rub off on me.  

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

You guys are killing it out there. Awesome pics and it looks like a hell of a pow day. 

Thanks. Could be deeper tomorrow next wave of precipitation about to slam into the Tetons. Perfect timing as lifts shutdown in a few minutes until 9am tomorrow 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Jackson hole locals complain about the crowds brought on by the Ikon pass. This was Park city today.  Longest line I waited in at JH maybe 5-6 minutes earlier. 

2ACF8D0B-9147-4955-8AE3-DDC64B891183.jpeg

JH will never get crowded like that. Nowhere near as much population in the surrounding area. Jaded locals don’t know what crowded is.

Just now, toast21602 said:

JH will never get crowded like that. Nowhere near as much population in the surrounding area. Jaded locals don’t know what crowded is.

The one thing we noticed today was the lack of bro-brahs.  The majority of the people we rode the lift were Ikon pass people from Colorado...and their first time at JH. 

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

True..and honestly I think the Ikon pass is great for JHMR...it adds brand loyalty as there are a ton of first time visitors thanks to the Ikon pass and these visitors need to eat, drink and sleep somewhere...plus Jackson hole isn’t a been there done that kind of place...they’ll be back again and again.