Jackson hole 2/5-2/13...

GrilledSteezeSandwich

3 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I wish we had their problems. They should come spend a winter in Pennsylvania...for perspective.

They don't have the specter of their mountain closing looming over their heads like we do in PA. We are kind of happy to see a few buses pulling in at 11 am on a Saturday because we know it'll put a few bucks in the pocket of Barb and pay all the bills to keep our little slice of heaven going.  If I was a local at Jackson Hole and knew that the mountain wasn't going anywhere regardless of how many people were there then yeah I would probably get a little annoyed with the tourists too. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I wish we had their problems. They should come spend a winter in Pennsylvania...for perspective.

Ridge the one guy we see out there only skis on days with 2” of new snow or more or the day after a powder day.  He skis between 25-90 days a season depending on conditions.  I have a lot of fun skiing Jackson hole when there’s zero inches of new snow. 

• Like 1

They don't have the specter of their mountain closing looming over their heads like we do in PA. We are kind of happy to see a few buses pulling in at 11 am on a Saturday because we know it'll put a few bucks in the pocket of Barb and pay all the bills to keep our little slice of heaven going.  If I was a local at Jackson Hole and knew that the mountain wasn't going anywhere regardless of how many people were there then yeah I would probably get a little annoyed with the tourists too. 

Good points. I was looking at it from a dealing with the crowds perspective. You feel that 400,000 so much more at Blue, which is a tiny fraction of the size of a JH. 700,000 spread out across 2500 acres, to me, seems ideal.

Then again they live / ride out there for a reason so I can totally understand their frustration.

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

locals should be more pissed at JHMR, than the average IKON passholder.  I hate when ski joints try to make money and stuff.  

I heard Jackson hole received about $70 per day used by Ikon passholder..smaller places like Alta get much less as their day ticket price in comparable less, they have less skin in the game.   But the residual money spent across skiing communities by Ikon passholders is immense. There were 250,000 Ikon passes sold..somebody is gonna need new gloves or goggles or buy a cowboy hat and some $17 pitchers of beer...if I worked at a restaurant in a ski town I’d be thrilled by an influx of patrons.  

Jackson hole is the largest 2500 acre resort ever..that’s four square miles of skisble terrain and I’ve been at areas that claim more acres that seem way smaller. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

if I worked at a restaurant in a ski town I’d be thrilled by an influx of patrons. 

The locals don't get it that Ikon passholders come in and spend money locally, which is good for the local economy and helps the mountain stay profitable.

The locals only see Ikon passholders as Jerrys coming in to compete with them for fresh powder and crowd the slopes.

• Like 1

Agree. The new term around here is “frangers.”  Front range people that invade ski areas. People in Crested Butte seem to be pissed about this since they joined Epic. I think people need to get over it to a degree. No place strays the same forever, and resorts need to make money. So since I live on the Front Range I am an asshole if I drive anywhere and want to ski. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

How far is snake river from the village?

1-2 miles..I don’t think there’s public access there.  There are foot bridges and walking paths along the river about 8 miles south of Teton village as you head to the town of Jackson. It’s amazing that it’s not frozen with how cold it’s been out there. 

1-2 miles..I don’t think there’s public access there.  There are foot bridges and walking paths along the river about 8 miles south of Teton village as you head to the town of Jackson. It’s amazing that it’s not frozen with how cold it’s been out there. 

Ok, thx. Got to snoop around on google more. May bring fly rod if it’s shit-fuck conditions due to freeze-thaw

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’d like to get out to Jackson at some point, need to get a little bit better at skiing though, I feel like it would be more fun than on a snowboard (which I could handle now). 

The couple traverses are better on skis but for people who ski and snowboard many prefer the snowboard for pow days. Jackson hole is just a cool ski town along with great top tier ski resort..i miss the old days when there were more sleeper powder days. 

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’re at the stage where you improve every day you go out so enjoy that.  

I don’t have an issue with any trail in the Pocs on skis, I’d just like to have better form. I ski like a hockey player, little too far forwards sometimes.