Sunday 2/10

GrilledSteezeSandwich

A 20 year old died at Aspen yesterday. Terrain park, no helmet. Years ago my brother had an incident at Big Boulder. People found him unconscious and his helmet had a hole in in and was beat to shit. To this day he has no idea what happened but spent almost a week in the hospital. Pretty sure he would have died without that helmet. 

If I managed Blue mountain or any ski resort for that matter I would require all employees to wear a helmet.  It’s crazy that a few ski patrollers don’t weae helmets.  A few years ago at Jackson hole an old lady in the tram line gasped that I was wearing a cotton shirt under my jacket and then I said yeah but you aren’t even wearing a helmet. 

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If I managed Blue mountain or any ski resort for that matter I would require all employees to wear a helmet.  It’s crazy that a few ski patrollers don’t weae helmets.  A few years ago at Jackson hole an old lady in the tram line gasped that I was wearing a cotton shirt under my jacket and then I said yeah but you aren’t even wearing a helmet. 

We got a chuckle that Sunday River requires the lifties to wear helmets!
Couldn't figure out the reasoning behind that one, other than perhaps ice falling from overhead.

1 hour ago, RootDKJ said:

That was my exact thoughts when reading this.  Blue might just be (statistically speaking) the deadliest place to ski in the US.  For sure in the Northeast.  Fuck.  Is it 4 or 5 since the start of 2017 season?  I've lost count.

I wouldn’t be surprised and statistically speaking blue should have a single death about once every 2-3 seasons as there is about one death per one million skier visits and Blue does around 400k annually. 

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Seeing people without helmets kind of makes me crazy, and in my mind, i question their sanity.  Saw people in JH skiing trees without helmets.  I get that these people are the best skiers on the mountain (in their minds), but accidents happen.  I sort of find it crazy too, that not all Blue employees where a helmet either.  Set the example.  

Rental equipment should include a helmet, it shouldnt be optional.  What is there to stop the first time skier from going in the park and making a mess of him/herself?  not much.  

Maybe im in the minority here, but it seems like the falls is becoming more and more of a shit show as well these days.  I know there is a sign at the bottom of lazy, its not great, but there is a sign to try to keep beginners off falls, but most beginners are looking right in front of them, not up and around for signs.  They really need to do something better there to keep beginners from continuing straight down lazy to the falls.  

Accidents are going to happen.  Not just in skiing either.  

Given that helmets are supposed to be good only for one impact, using a rental helmet really gives a false sense of security and I am surprised they rent them at all (which could lead to liability if they do not test that they are still good after each rental return).

Better practice would be to buy then in bulk and offer to sell new ones to renters at a small markup over wholesale.

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Beginners at blue have zero respect for the trail ratings and the ski patrol is more interested in jerking each other off and yelling at the competent skiers. 

You are actually correct with this.  If a patroler saw 1 person skiing fast on Paridise, and 1 person doing pizza out of control on challenge, the skier on Paradise will be stopped, or at least whistled at.  Patrol could probably work on preventing accidents a little better.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Given that helmets are supposed to be good only for one impact, using a rental helmet really gives a false sense of security and I am surprised they rent them at all (which could lead to liability if they do not test that they are still good after each rental return).

Better practice would be to buy then in bulk and offer to sell new ones to renters at a small markup over wholesale.

Have you seen the pics above?  its really pretty easy to tell when a helmet has had an impact.  

I would rather see someone wear a helmet that may protect them, rather than no helmet.  No helmet wont protect shit.  

Just stop thinking of ways to sue a ski resort all the time, ok?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Have you seen the pics above?  its really pretty easy to tell when a helmet has had an impact.  

I would rather see someone wear a helmet that may protect them, rather than no helmet.  No helmet wont protect shit.  

Just stop thinking of ways to sue a ski resort all the time, ok?

I would expect that a milder impact could damage the helmet's internal protective components without visibly damaging it.

And there seems little harm in suggesting things resorts can do that would help them both avoid law suits and keep people safer.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

That was my exact thoughts when reading this.  Blue might just be (statistically speaking) the deadliest place to ski in the US.  For sure in the Northeast.  Fuck.  Is it 4 or 5 since the start of 2017 season?  I've lost count.

And that's what sucks. Not taking anything away from the people who've died but it's becoming sort of macabre at this point, especially how you put it above (which is probably true). To think that a place that brings me to a happy place of sorts, where I'm smiling ear to ear most of the time has that that type of designation really sucks.

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I would expect that an impacelt could be mild enough to damage the helmet without visibly damaging it.

And there seems little harm in suggesting things resorts can do that would help them both avoid law suits and keep people safer.

This is actually accurate and I’m always been surprised at the rebting of helmets. Like Dan said, it’s still probably better than nothing. Probably a disclaimer that they sign anyway about PPE. 

This depends on the type of helmet as well. (The type I'd personally purchase is only designed for one impact, although this is not the only case)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont undersand what this means

Why dig a TRENCH between between razors and challenge? Challenge does often suck because everyone pushes the snow into the ditch. That’s why we ski the ditch. The TRENCH prevents us from skiing the ditch because the fuckin TRENCH removed the ditch. What’s not to understand?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I would expect that a milder impact could damage the helmet's internal protective components without visibly damaging it.

I have like 900 ski days on my helmet and never had an impact. I obviously need a new helmet anyway but like my helmet. If anybody finds a circa 2005 Giro Fuse helmet for sale let me know.