Shawnee President's Day

Mess

It has been a while since I have been at Shawnee but it was a lot of fun for the family.  Rented 80'sat Adventure Sports on the way in for my 5 year old and took advantage of anyone under 46 inches is free.  My wife, both sons, daughter and friend arrived at 9:30.  Getting our vouchers was a little annoying since their were so many people and seemed like no non had a clue.  I brought my 5 year old to the learning slope and spent most of the day with him.  It was great to have him there but was a ton of work.  I spent most of the day pushing/carryon him up a part of the slope so he could ski about 15-20 feet.  My wife and daughter skied a few trails and my son and buddy explored the blue and black trails.  I eventually went for a run with my daughter on Lookout to Pennsylvania.  Definitley need to get her a lesson since she doesn't turn very much.  

I only got about 5 runs in but the mountain was fun(spent the rest of the day with son).  The runs were fun and seemed longer than Jack Frost.  I also liked their high speed quad.  I will definitely bring the family again.

• Like 8

I only got about 5 runs in but the mountain was fun(spent the rest of the day with son).  The runs were fun and seemed longer than Jack Frost.  I also liked their high speed quad.  I will definitely bring the family again.

Doesn’t matter how many runs you got in, the time you spent together is priceless! Cherish all the time(s) you have put there, as the time goes by so fast! The next thing you know they’re in college and the opportunity to spent time with them disappears.

Sounds like it was a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Shawnee runs are significantly longer - most are 700' vertical, while JF range from 425' (easier terrain) to 525 (hardest terrain: only Rivershot & Floyds). 

My girls were short enough to ski Shawnee free 1st-3rd grade, so I have skied there a lot.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

50% longer on average isnt signignficant?
If so, Blue 6 pack runs arent significantly longer than Shawnee express quad runs.

It would be significant if it were actually the case. Or by 50% are you referring to home much you saved on lift tickets and cocoa? Shawnee has a few longer runs than Frost but let's not sit here and act like its some beast of a hill in comparison. It's not.

The vertical of the non Bunny lifts at Shawnee rance from 641 to 668

The vertical of the on Bunny lifts at JF range from 402 to 527

So the smallest lifts are 60% more vertical and the largest are 25% for vertical. 

But the largest at JF serves only 2 runs and the largest at Shawnee serves all but 1 run. And Shawnee has advantage of Express.

JF has better snowmaking in glades, more marginally steep terrain and a nicer view though.

This brings up something I occasionally think about. If you were stringing together a series of "trails" here in the Pocono region, what is the longest top to bottom route you could make? 

For example at Montage I used to start at the top of the Shuttle lift in front of the lodge, wind down Easy Street, come out of that with speed and cut up and over the bunny slope, down the unnamed path past the Iron Horse lift, down Lower Runaway, cut over to lower fast track, then come down across the bottom and end at Phoebe Snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

What does any of that have to do with the actual trail length? I'm not going to sit here and have a gaper style argument with you over two Pennsylvania molehills but there's no way in hell Shawnee's runs are 50% longer than Frost.

I always measure runs by amount of vertical as having a long flat section adds nothing to my experience and I would generally rather go down a given vertical on a shorter steeper run, within limits, though a couple curves in the trail does make it more scenic. I have no idea what the horizontal stats are.

22 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I always measure runs by amount of vertical as having a long flat section adds nothing to my experience and I would generally rather go down a given vertical on a shorter steeper run, within limits, though a couple curves in the trail does make it more scenic. I have no idea what the horizontal stats are.

You can practice whirlybirds on long flat sections.  

• Like 1

Got it. You're using the Ski2Live Live2Ski measurements as opposed to real-world.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1