Blue mountain 2/23/19...PASR day..crowded.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from a fun Saturday morning session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot at 718am and it was 28 degrees under clear sky’s.  In the house were Atomic Jeff, JFDan, Ryan, Mute, Toast, Johnny Law, Nazareth Jay, Indiggio, Schifdawg, Tarpenhead, Slim, Gary, GSSUcks, Justo, Rose, Ty, ZZSlope, Joan and many others.  

I ended up with second civilian chair and guy on lift asked if we were all locals then was like the lehigh valley chamber of commerce.  Another guy on the ride talked about having the Ikon pass and I said definitely use it at Jackson hole it’s the best place on the Ikon pass and he said that copper and steamboat are on it..ok. First run on challenge was better than expected smooth and firm. I skipped second run on Sidewinder due to the Root rollers and did a repeat on challenge. Then a few laps on Switchback which was good but lower park was like the beach..lots of sandy sugar.  

The patroller who was on my case Thursday was out again and I found a window where he was on a different run for a speed run on paradise and it was ok..lazy mile also wasn’t bad initially as was upper Main Street. I tried some of the Main Street bumps and they were big and icy...Crowds were solid not crazy record setting but substantial.  The lot was fun with lots of snacks and enjorales brought a few waffles for us and they were good. All in all it was a fun time on the slopes. 

I’d like to ski tomorrow late morning when the rain ends. Arrival time TBA. 

9 minutes ago, Schif said:

It wasn't quite sugar. Tasted like splenda when I got a face full at the intersection before falls. 

Sounds like mad sweet and low to me.  That’s right around Eugène corner where you went ass over teakettle at least you were bloody. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Fun day today.  Got my lesson in, but the amount of sugar made it difficult to work on drills.  Still productive though.  

You ain’t kidding. First couple of runs were good. Tried doing some javelins around 11 and it wasn’t happening. Have a hard time doing them when there is good snow!

Not sure why so many complaints about the snow... Yeah, there was some sugar, but in reasonable amounts. Compare this to early Jan when all trails turned to shit literally after a couple of runs. Today there was a firm frozen base, and while sugar did form, it wasn't that bad at all. Well, maaaay be some places like lower park or Burma got real bad real soon, but why would you hang around those places anyway? In short, it wasn't the snow that made me quit around 1pm, it's the crowds and maneuvering between them that became annoying. Plus they closed Vista Room for some private event, and made everybody take their stuff from it.

Patrollers really seem to be cracking down on Paradise bombers. I was able to do two fast runs first thing in the morning while the trails were still empty, but after that every time I went there, there was always somebody in red jacket either whistling or staring at my every move. Not worth it.

Sidewinder was not that crowded all day long, and Switchback welcomed me with the lack of ice. Really unusual for Switchback. Dreamweaver was used for race warmup early in the day, and was crowded later.

Two surprises in the ski department. One was GSS not showing any love to his Atomics, and the other one was some random guy on Stocklis. Don't get to see them often here, and he even had a pugski sticker on them. Yet, the moment I started to feel a little bit excited, he told me that he was going to switch the Stocklis for Kores due to snow conditions. Ugh.

Races were fun to watch, they got quite lucky with the weather (lest we forget about some rain tonight).

So all in all, it was a pretty good day today.

• Like 2

Snow was alot better than I would have thought, snow was much more even than Thursday night. Lower park is irrelevant. Switch was good and sidewinder is still super playful.

Tarpon - Death Posture is crazy good beer and the abv creeps lol

EAF ! - I have a pair of stockli stormriders that haven't left my basement since last year. If you like stockli's so much they are yours, somebody should ride them. 

• Like 4

Whoa, it's almost a crime to keep Stocklies locked up in the basement. I highly appreciate the offer, actually had a chance of riding SR88 for a day lately, but am currently in the process of getting a pair of Lasers. Will likely take a week or two. Thanks!