Montage 2/23

PSUFrankenstein

Got there around 8:30 and parked in the third row.  I was shooting for an 8 AM arrival but I wasn't feeling that great the past few days...my daughter was sick last weekend - she picks up all kinds of germs at day care and usually passes them on.  Did a few runs on Cannonball and Runaway/Fast Track, and checked on the Long Haul (wasn't running).  Conditions were pretty firm/packed powder and frozen cord.  Did a few runs on smoke/boomer and then decided to crack the lift beer I was saving for the Long Haul.

20190223_091350.thumb.jpg.8386347dd8682ee4a9e0aad2af148266.jpg

20190223_092041.thumb.jpg.6ebc37e36e846901209704cf83c7aa1b.jpg

Lapped Boomer and Smoke for a bit and then did 3 runs on White Lightning.  Pretty much everything was groomed flat except for some small bumps on the left side of White Lightning.  Had a nice fall - belly flopped and slid catching a bump I didn't see.

After that I checked on the Long Haul again, but still not running.  I did some runs on Rattler to Cannonball and just kept hitting Boomer/Smoke.  Rattler had some cookies at the top but wasn't too bad.

20190223_110708.thumb.jpg.be256509f8630958692d3b673c92b0a1.jpg

I called it a day around 11:30 since I still wasn't feeling that great.  I skipped Breaker Brewing this time...wife wants to go out to dinner and after a few beers and some food there I usually don't eat the rest of the day.  I did stop at Saucony Creek in Kutztown for a quick lunch (short rib sliders and an IPA).  Overall not a bad day.  I was hoping the sun would come out and the snow would soften up a bit, but that didn't really happen.

20190223_125633.thumb.jpg.16cc24295aa74301852d753ea747cd33.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Shadows said:

You drive from kutztown to montage? What's wrong with blue

Actually I live outside of Reading (Sinking Spring).  Nothing's wrong with Blue, but I couldn't pass up the $ 150 season pass to Montage.  Montage is ~20 min further than Blue for me,  I usually make pretty good time on 476.  Honestly though, I'll pretty much ride anywhere...I'm pretty easily entertained.  Planning on at least one trip to Blue later in the season.

37 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Cloudy is awesome beer.

Look up into the top house on long haul sometime, it's a mix of 50 different long defunct lift companies and "custom" parts. I assume that's why it doesn't always run but it is cool as all hell.

I'll have to check that out.  It has actually been pretty good this year up until today.  And yeah, Cloudy is great, I picked up cans of that and Tickle Parts.  

2 hours ago, poconoceancity said:

Did they ever get the long haul running?

Last time I checked it was 10 am or so and it wasn't running.  I asked and they were planning on opening it, but not sure if it ever did.  

• Like 5

I lived in Kutztown when saucony first opened. Used to drink with Matt at the k-town pub a lot which was pretty cool because he would occasionally bring some of his buddies from his time in the x games, still have Chad Kagy’s business card in my wallet. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I lived in Kutztown when saucony first opened. Used to drink with Matt at the k-town pub a lot which was pretty cool because he would occasionally bring some of his buddies from his time in the x games, still have Chad Kagy’s business card in my wallet. 

So you’re saying your friend is a pro???

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

That's pretty cool. I think Matt is still part owner but isn't really involved any more.  I think he lives in CO now. 

nice report. the light was really flat and def made for some interesting sliding. it was colder than forecasted in the AM, which bummed me out. the grooming report stated that WL and Boomer were ungroomed....but there wasn't a mogul to be seen. oh well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guitar73 said:

nice report. the light was really flat and def made for some interesting sliding. it was colder than forecasted in the AM, which bummed me out. the grooming report stated that WL and Boomer were ungroomed....but there wasn't a mogul to be seen. oh well.

Yeah I'm hoping things will be different this weekend, usually at least one of the double blacks is left ungroomed.  I should be there again Saturday morning.  I usually only stay until lunch time, but I may stay longer this time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah I'm hoping things will be different this weekend, usually at least one of the double blacks is left ungroomed.  I should be there again Saturday morning.  I usually only stay until lunch time, but I may stay longer this time.

Have fun and post a report! How are the glades up top?

3 hours ago, PSUFly said:

Will do.  I'll check out the glades this time hopefully.  I haven't hit them recently, but judging how the snow was off-trail this past weekend, I'd guess they probably wouldn't have been great.

If you have any interest in skiing Blue some weekend I might I have buddy pass for you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If you have any interest in skiing Blue some weekend I might I have buddy pass for you...

I'll definitely take you up on that if it's available.  I was planning on hitting Blue anyway in March...I was planning on seeing if they did that promotion where a lift ticket costs whatever the temp is for the day, but a buddy pass is even better.

25 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

I'll definitely take you up on that if it's available.  I was planning on hitting Blue anyway in March...I was planning on seeing if they did that promotion where a lift ticket costs whatever the temp is for the day, but a buddy pass is even better.

Plenty of us have buddy passes that go unused. Just let us know. 

This is open to anybody, but @rummy and friend definitely have first dibs for their hospitality. 

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Plenty of us have buddy passes that go unused. Just let us know. 

This is open to anybody, but @rummy and friend definitely have first dibs for their hospitality. 

Awesome, thanks!  Yeah I completely understand if others would have priority over me for the buddy passes.  I'll post up in one of the Blue threads when I figure out when I'll be there

• Like 1