Camelback 2/24...Wind problems

theprogram4

the last time there was suppossed to be morning rain on a sunday and clearing by early afternoon, i got to blue for opening cause i knew they have a habit of closing at 4pm even if the rain stops at 11am, but they ended up staying open til night and i got soaked for nothing.  thus, i figured i would get a rare night session in yesterday.  slept in til 1, planned to leave house between 4-5.  around 3 i see nothing on their facebook (of course), but decided to check the website.  sure enough, closing at 4.  thus, i decided to get back to CB for the first time in 6 years.  the whole drive up, there were high wind advisories on the highways, but no wind.  however, this scared me as the best part of CB is the left quad that services cliffhanger, nile mile, and pharoah.  i know from being a former passholder, that CB will look for any excuse imaginable to shut down the left quad as much as possible...cold temps, not many people there, wind, lack of employees, ice, etc.  i got there at 6 and immediately rode down the bunny hill to the left quad.  first run was cliffhanger and it was great, second run was nile and it was great, third run was pharoah and it was nice.  4th run up i see patrol putting up a "nile mile closed" sign so i hurried up to get one more run there.  sure enough, get to the bottom and they are closing down the left quad.  i debated going to guest services to try to get a refund or discounts or giftcard, but I was having fun and at least got a few runs on left quad, so decided to be mature and just enjoy the night.  ride up right quad and it is moving at slow speed due to wind.  disappiointed that new trail doesnt have lighting yet, but it looked fun.  extremely small width tho, probably gonna be problems later.  ride down first run from right quad and it is now also shut down due to wind, so spent the rest of the night on the double slow lift.  ended up riding the 4 diamonds, and two blues under marc anthony and cleoptetra triple.  place was absolutely empty and snow was firm and fast.  im debating whether CB is 2nd in PA after Blue, or does Elk have 2nd place.  not sure cause of the varying vertical at CB.  if all of CB was like left quad, it would absolutely top elk.  however, the lack of vert on 2/3rds of the mountain really sticks out and makes me question whether elk has 2nd.  new waterpark and resort are absolutely fucking huge, waterpark has giant glass ceiling with a non stop light show going on.  CB was only 1.5 hours from my house, and probably a more enjoyable drive than going to blue.  disappointed i only got 4 runs from left quad, but i had a good time so im still glad i went.  only took one pic, but dont feel like getting out my phone to post it

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, theprogram4 said:

$40.  ya their facebook annoucements have certainly been lacking this season.  im so trained to check facebook for updates that i forget to check their website

Blues Facebook is terrible.  They go entire days with no updates or it will be something dumb like about hot chocolate or weddings.   

New trail is alright. Its tough to run it the way it designed. To many people. It also fucked up the left line on the rocket. Herb station. The trail should have been directly under the chair, that's the line that would have been sweet. The new trail is designed to be run like a x course. When you can get it with no bodies in the way its fun and that doesn't happen very often an empty trail at cbk.

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Blues Facebook is terrible.  They go entire days with no updates or it will be something dumb like about hot chocolate or weddings.   

from now on whenever any type of rain is forecasted, even if just a few hours in the morning, i need to simply get there for opening and put up with the rain. i'm 0-3 in predicting blue's decision making when it comes to rain this year.  .1st time got there at opening in pouring rain but they ended up staying open til night, 2nd time got there and placed was closed (closing announcement was posted at 8:32, two minutes after the place was supoosed to open), 3rd time was yesterday when i figured rain ending at 11am would allow night skiing, but they closed with clear skies.  75% of me just figures to suck it up and deal with it, since i participate in a weather dependent sport.  25% of me is mad about the awful communication and customer service

4 minutes ago, poconovfr said:

New trail is alright. Its tough to run it the way it designed. To many people. It also fucked up the left line on the rocket. Herb station. The trail should have been directly under the chair, that's the line that would have been sweet. The new trail is designed to be run like a x course. When you can get it with no bodies in the way its fun and that doesn't happen very often an empty trail at cbk.

it looked like a fun run, but i can see it being a complete disaster on crowded days.  also, you are correct about it messing up part of rocket.  i appreciate them opening a new trail, but it seems they kind of rushed it

Edited by theprogram4

from now on whenever any type of rain is forecasted, even if just a few hours in the morning, i need to simply get there for opening and put up with the rain. i'm 0-3 in predicting blue's decision making when it comes to rain this year.  .1st time got there at opening in pouring rain but they ended up staying open til night, 2nd time got there and placed was closed (closing announcement was posted at 8:32, two minutes after the place was supoosed to open), 3rd time was yesterday when i figured rain ending at 11am would allow night skiing, but they closed with clear skies.  75% of me just figures to suck it up and deal with it, since i participate in a weather dependent sport.  25% of me is mad about the awful communication and customer service

You should have consulted me.  I knew they’d be open on Sunday daytime due to the races and that late morning/early afternoon would be the best snow and least rain.  

You should have consulted me.  I knew they’d be open on Sunday daytime due to the races and that late morning/early afternoon would be the best snow and least rain.  

i did sort of consult you. i had asked if you guys were thinking blue would be open sunday, and you said they would due to races.  you were correct there and i made the assumption since the rain was ending, they would be open at night.  there is nothing i can do about it, its just frustrating not being able to plan your day due to blue's completely irrational and random schedule when it comes to rain, plus a complete lack of communication with their customers online

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 2

Just now, theprogram4 said:

i did sort of consult you. i had asked if you guys were thinking blue would be open sunday, and you said they would due to races.  you were correct there and i made the assumption since the rain was ending, they would be open at night.  there is nothing i can do about it, its just frustrating not being able to plan your day due to blue's completely irrational and random schedule when it comes to rain.

I was able to plan my day just fine.  Anyway I respect your commitment to the sport.  

I was able to plan my day just fine.  Anyway I respect your commitment to the sport.  

this has nothing to do with your day, i dont live 15 minutes away like you do.  my point is, its hard to plan your day when the decision is either to ride in pouring rain, or risk them closing randomly with clear skies.  it would be different if they communicated with their customers better, or had a certain rhyme or reason what they do when it rains in the morning and clear in the afternoon.  as i said earlier, there have been 3 days this year where it raining in the morning and was done by noon, and they took they completely different approaches each time to closing without posting about any of those closures on their social media.  as i said before, the plan from now on is to just get there at opening regardless of the forecast.  i know you will defend blue no matter what and say im acting out of line, but im not even complaining to blue or getting super stressed over it, just want some consistency on what they do when it rains til 11 am and then is clear for the rest of day

• Like 1

this has nothing to do with your day, i dont live 15 minutes away like you do.  my point is, its hard to plan your day when the decision is either to ride in pouring rain, or risk them closing randomly with clear skies.  it would be different if they communicated with their customers better, or had a certain rhyme or reason what they do when it rains in the morning and clear in the afternoon.  as i said earlier, there have been 3 days this year where it raining in the morning and was done by noon, and they took they completely different approaches each time to closing without posting about any of those closures on their social media.  as i said before, the plan from now on is to just get there at opening regardless of the forecast.  i know you will defend blue no matter what and say im acting out of line, but im not even complaining to blue or getting super stressed over it, just want some consistency on what they do when it rains til 11 am and then is clear for the rest of day

You’re getting out of line. 

• Confused 1

Call them?  

In general, it seems like society today wants to communicate through email, text, facebook, etc......I kind of hate it.  I think when you need an answer for something, there is just nothing better than picking up the phone to get an immediate response.  One time i was told by a customer who emailed me "i would have appreciated a quicker response."  every email i send out has my cell on it.  I just dont get if he needed an answer so quick, why did he just call?

Just now, JFskiDan said:

Call them?  

In general, it seems like society today wants to communicate through email, text, facebook, etc......I kind of hate it.  I think when you need an answer for something, there is just nothing better than picking up the phone to get an immediate response.  One time i was told by a customer who emailed me "i would have appreciated a quicker response."  every email i send out has my cell on it.  I just dont get if he needed an answer so quick, why did he just call?

i actually called Camelback before i left, but got annoyed with the automated system and gave up.  i could have went through more effort and thats on me, but i deal with automated systems everyday and just got sick of it.  the problem with calling blue is i would have to wait til im in whitehall, cause im sure nobody is there when i leave my house.

in general its all good cause i got to ride yesterday and i dont plan on complaining to blue, i just wish there was better communication on their part

i actually called Camelback before i left, but got annoyed with the automated system and gave up.  i could have went through more effort and thats on me, but i deal with automated systems everyday and just got sick of it.  the problem with calling blue is i would have to wait til im in whitehall, cause im sure nobody is there when i leave my house.

in general its all good cause i got to ride yesterday and i dont plan on complaining to blue, i just wish there was better communication on their part

Oh, right....and you may not even get someone on the phone.  and if i remember correctly from calling about the 8 or 8:30 opening debacle, the message usually doesnt get out until 7 am.  

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Oh, right....and you may not even get someone on the phone.  and if i remember correctly from calling about the 8 or 8:30 opening debacle, the message usually doesnt get out until 7 am.  

That December 24th 8 or 830 opening debacle was hilarious.  I don’t think Blue remembered what they did that day in the past.  For future reference always 830 if it’s a weekday on December 24th. 

• Thanks 1

That December 24th 8 or 830 opening debacle was hilarious.  I don’t think Blue remembered what they did that day in the past.  For future reference always 830 if it’s a weekday on December 24th. 

they used holiday hours the 23rd, but regualr hours the 24th smh