02/27 - Awesome snow, Awful lines

eaf

Mixed impressions today.

Weather and conditions were great, reminded me of mid December - moderately cold, nice grippy snow w/o all that choppiness or sugar, hard to believe that it's almost March. Paradise and Lazy had the best hero snow. Sidewinder was in worse shape, I could feel occasional icy spots, and the skis would often slide sideways if loaded. Switchback was just OK, and Razor was closed for BMR.

Lots of snowmaking across the mountain. They completely closed lower Sidewinder and blew mounds of snow on top of the quad. I wonder if the idea is to push it down the Coming Soon trail. Would be fun if so. Somebody on the lift said that the long-term forecast is calling for cold March, so the season is far from being over.

Bad part was that Blue managed to screw up what would otherwise be a perfect night. Six pack didn't work, so by 7 lines at the Quad were up to the turnstiles, and no freaking line management! People would just ride in pairs, kids would cut the line ("oh, I have friends over there"), I felt like it was middle of a weekend rather than a Wednesday night. Stupid thing is that there weren't that many people. The slopes felt empty, but lines were unbelievable sometimes.

• Like 4

Nice report Eaf!!!  I really hope they get the six pack going for tonight or I’m not gonna get much skiing in...I feel like tonight will be the last busy Thursday night unless March comes in like a Lion..last year March came in like a wrecking ball.  The power was even out in my hotel but they had free pizza...

4 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The six pack is running.  

So I picked the wrong day then. Oh well, at least the slopes were empty, and no enforced speed limits either.

Btw, NJ troopers are really going nuts this week. Full front attack. Speed traps along I-278, I-78, and not just in their usual spots. Saw one yesterday standing on the side of the interstate in a random place shooting laser gun through a slightly open door back at the traffic. In 5 miles another one, standing on a ramp sideways and again pointing laser through driver's window. Was actually pulled over on empty I-287 on early Saturday morning for going just 73mph in 65mph zone.

Path to Blue becomes more treacherous than skiing Paradise.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

So I picked the wrong day then. Oh well, at least the slopes were empty, and no enforced speed limits either.

Btw, NJ troopers are really going nuts this week. Full front attack. Speed traps along I-278, I-78, and not just in their usual spots. Saw one yesterday standing on the side of the interstate in a random place shooting laser gun through a slightly open door back at the traffic. In 5 miles another one, standing on a ramp sideways and again pointing laser through driver's window. Was actually pulled over on empty I-287 on early Saturday morning for going just 73mph in 65mph zone.

Path to Blue becomes more treacherous than skiing Paradise.

Just a warning for 73 in a 65?  I got an EZ pass violation notice in the mail at the NJ state line on the way back from the Newark airport.  I have to fight that. $31

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Just a warning for 73 in a 65?  I got an EZ pass violation notice in the mail at the NJ state line on the way back from the Newark airport.  I have to fight that. $31

A warning? I doubt anybody is getting away with a warning this week. Their goal is clearly to patch some budget holes by the end of the month. No, he gave me a break and issued a $54 failure to follow signs and directions ticket with "an easy way to pay online". No points.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I got a notice for a violation on the GSP. Check you EZ Pass bill. Mine showed that I was charged the toll one minute later than the time on the violation. I still had to send them a copy of the bill twice before they figured out that I couldn't drive through the same toll booth twice in one minute. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, eaf said:

A warning? I doubt anybody is getting away with a warning this week. Their goal is clearly to patch some budget holes by the end of the month. No, he gave me a break and issued a $54 failure to follow signs and directions ticket with "an easy way to pay online". No points.

I will gladly pay my way out of a speeding ticket any day, rather than get points. 

• Like 2