Old Phartz do Whitefish 3/2-3/9

rummy

I like pickles and olives in bloody Mary’s.  I’m looking forward to a bacon Bloody Mary next month at ABasin.  I swear 65% or my yearly consumption of bloodys is at A Bay bay.  They offer a 8 ounce coors light beer back for a dollar which makes me want a high test been..then back into the woods. I only ever had one Bloody Mary at Jackson hole the day the lifts shut down at 10 due to fierce storms.  I drank most of the middle of the day the. Skied two hours at snow king.  

Have fun Rummy!!!

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

Ist day.. Hopped on the Snow Bus at 11:10. Warmed up to 0° by that time. After a 22 min ride we hopped of at the base lodge.

Brilliant sunshine and no wind brought out a larger crowd said a local. It was also Montanas' Special Olympics day. But there was no wait at any lift we were on.

Spent the next 2 1/2 hrs cruising the Blues and exploring a small portion of the 3000 acres, 126 trails. Dad went off the back side and did some trees. The surface was great, soft bumps, smooth grooming, wide trails. Tons of fun!

Hit the bar, checked our skis overnight, and caught the 3:15 bus and headed to town. On the bus we ran into the locals who gave us the tips this morning. They introduced us to the bartenders at the Great Northern microbrewery and we bought them a beer.
Super friendly and down to earth, fellow Old Pharts.

Showers, then and a carb, and grease filled meal at the Bulldog Bar. Rated as one of the nations top dives and we agree, plus their fresh breaded mushrooms were the best any of us has ever had.

Now watching the "behind the scenes" of Caddyshack and cracking up, with a Yukon Jack in hand... night all..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Day 2: started two hours earlier and we were at the top of the mountain at 10:00 with a temp of 10°-- and bright sunshine no wind.
Pretty similar to the first day. Exploring and learning more of the trails. We skied out the back side of the mtn most of the day, then had a late bowl of chili at the on mountain Hellroaring Saloon and Eatery. The original 1949 lodge. Clouds began forming by the afternoon and light snow was predicted.
Back to Whitefish and a great Italian meal at Ciao Mahmbo for dinner. Shrimp fra diavlo...

Day 3: Wow a heatwave, 22° but breezier and fully overcast. 2-3" of fresh snow made skiing real nice. Again did most of our skiing on the backside and ended the day again at the Hellroaring.
Tonight's meal was at the Tupelo Cafe. Buffalo meat loaf, garlic mash etc..

Day 4: 27° and snowing! Our breakfast stop was crowded so we caught the 9:40 bus and found about 6" of fresh with snow still falling. Unfortunately the famous Whitefish Fog was making its presence known. We made the mistake of taking the high speed to the top ist lift. It was so foggy you couldn't see your ski boots. Truly Socked In!! Two braille runs then decided to go back to the base and ski the lower lifts.
On the way back down, Big Al found a tree well. Fortunately the trail we were on was so steep that he ended up on the downhill side and wasn't buried. He lost one ski and his poles before entry and had a terrible time freeing himself of his remaining ski and extricating himself. We were below him and had a hell of a time working our way uphill to help. 10 minutes later Al was back in his skis and us Old Phartz were beat. That was it and after getting to the base we called it.
By that time the sun broke out on the bottom of the mtn but the top was still socked in.
Just another experience we'll talk about for the rest of our lives..

• Like 8

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, enjoralas said:

My favorite bloody is at Cowfish at Citywalk at Universal Orlando. Garnishes include a celery stalk, pickle spear, olive, pickled okra, a slider, and a hollowed out meat stick straw.

82272668-071F-4130-B0F9-9FD7CA32E247.jpeg

looks more like a meal than a drink

• Like 1

Day 5: Partial sun and warm 22° when we started our last day. Another 1" or 2" overnight. Conditions again are excellent. Sure is nice being able to see.
The weekend crowd was evident in slightly more lift lines and somewhat more crowded trails. 9 runs then off to
have a cup of soup and a couple of beers at The Hellroaring Saloon then caught the bus to town.
Dinner at the Buffalo Cafe. Great Burgers.

Whitefish has everything.
A nice mountain with tons of varied terrain for all abilities. Not huge but big enough.
Great Restaurants, a Microbrewery, a genuine fantastic Dive Bar and great locals.
And all at very reasonable prices.

I can see why Sibhusky moved here!
If you get the chance, you will be impressed too...

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 9:19 AM, rummy said:

Temp is -17 at the mountain this morning. 14 mph winds with a wind chill of -46 at the top. We're going to take a look but not going to ski

I was there, place was empty.  Great day!  The main lift opened late, but that was fine.  Flat out gorgeous day!

FB_IMG_1555958758848.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/4/2019 at 8:46 AM, rummy said:

-17 this morning, but F-it we're skiing today. Supposed to warm into 20s later..
Sunny and little wind. Shoulder is 85%

I was there this day as well.  Notes say I had to tell myself not to get cocky.  Another gorgeous day!

FB_IMG_1555959043376.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, rummy said:

Day 4: 27° and snowing! Our breakfast stop was crowded so we caught the 9:40 bus and found about 6" of fresh with snow still falling. Unfortunately the famous Whitefish Fog was making its presence known. We made the mistake of taking the high speed to the top ist lift. It was so foggy you couldn't see your ski boots. Trul

I have this down as a "zero chair" day as well.  Got better later, and even had a snatch or two of blue sky.

Where did you go in a tree well?  I'm sort of surprised you found one,  given it was a low snow year and the snow was pretty dense, either dry and extremely fine, or wet and compact-able most of the time.  

Edited by sibhusky

You timed it pretty well, by the way.  Missed most of the frigid days (which I personally live for, but that's me) and yet the snow wasn't gummy yet.  Things went downhill rapidly after March 12.  

Actually, I don't have heated boots, but they are toasty when I put them on my feet.  Also, wind chill is not actual temperature.  As long as no skin is exposed, you're fine.  There was only one day this year when my feet felt sort of cold (it had been warm and sunny the day before and this day was cloudy, and I'd dressed for the prior day), and I never lost feeling in my toes.  It's a matter of layers.  They will shut down the lifts here before it's too cold for me.  I do use a double face mask, I do wear two layers of long underwear, I do have a down layer as well.  

It also makes a difference where you ski.  If you're riding a lift with wind in your face the whole ride up, you might get cold.  But there are always lifts in some direction that are less windy.  The very worst lifts for lack of protection from the wind are 1 and 5.  Both can be brutal!!!  Especially as they come up over the final rise.  

Finally, where and what you are skiing can either cool you or warm you.  Cruising the blues at Warp 9 will make you cold.  Working hard in bumps, trees, powder, etc. will heat you up.

You learn all these things when you ski up here.  We normally have about 10 days to 2 weeks of super frigid temperatures.  This year it was more like five weeks.  I skied plenty of days where the Summit temperature (not the wind chill) was -14.  Good times.  I prefer those days because no one is here and the super cold air makes Glacier seem super close and we get that diamond dust sparkling in the air.  

By the way, there's projects in the works to expand lift-served terrain:  https://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=8bfee85ec43c6496c2d381e3f&id=a048d110be

Edited by sibhusky
  • Like 2