Old Phartz do Whitefish 3/2-3/9

rummy

9 minutes ago, sibhusky said:

Actually, I don't have heated boots, but they are toasty when I put them on my feet.  Also, wind chill is not actual temperature.  As long as no skin is exposed, you're fine.  There was only one day this year when my feet felt sort of cold (it had been warm and sunny the day before and this day was cloudy, and I'd dressed for the prior day), and I never lost feeling in my toes.  It's a matter of layers.  They will shut down the lifts here before it's too cold for me.  I do use a double face mask, I do wear two layers of long underwear, I do have a down layer as well.  

It also makes a difference where you ski.  If you're riding a lift with wind in your face the whole ride up, you might get cold.  But there are always lifts in some direction that are less windy.  The very worst lifts for lack of protection from the wind are 1 and 5.  Both can be brutal!!!  Especially as they come up over the final rise.  

Finally, where and what you are skiing can either cool you or warm you.  Cruising the blues at Warp 9 will make you cold.  Working hard in bumps, trees, powder, etc. will heat you up.

You learn all these things when you ski up here.  We normally have about 10 days to 2 weeks of super frigid temperatures.  This year it was more like five weeks.  I skied plenty of days where the Summit temperature (not the wind chill) was -14.  Good times.  I prefer those days because no one is here and the super cold air makes Glacier seem super close and we get that diamond dust sparkling in the air.  

By the way, there's projects in the works to expand lift-served terrain:  https://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=8bfee85ec43c6496c2d381e3f&id=a048d110be

Sibhusky how many days did you ski this week.  I didn’t see you in Stats. 

3 hours ago, sibhusky said:

I have this down as a "zero chair" day as well.  Got better later, and even had a snatch or two of blue sky.

Where did you go in a tree well?  I'm sort of surprised you found one,  given it was a low snow year and the snow was pretty dense, either dry and extremely fine, or wet and compact-able most of the time.  

Sorry Sib, I can't remember the trail name. It was on the front side fairly steep and moguled with a smattering of trees. The main problem Big Al encountered was getting his remaining ski released. At 69 years old he's not as supple as he once was...  

I'll say again,   of 35 trips out west, we really had one the best times ever on your mountain and in Whitefish.  Just sorry we didn't  share a beer together...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Nice I wanna be like you and retire young and live in ski country. Are you posting on skidivas

I go through periods when I do, but it hasn't lasted long.

28 minutes ago, rummy said:

I'll say again,   of 35 trips out west, we really had one the best times ever on your mountain and in Whitefish.  Just sorry we didn't  share a beer together...

It's pretty mellow here compared to a lot of other places.  We getting more popular though, and I hope it stops.  🙂  Plus, starting next year, Super Seniors won't be free.  One of my goals had been to ski at least until I could ski for free, so that stinks.

32 minutes ago, rummy said:

Sorry Sib, I can't remember the trail name. It was on the front side fairly steep and moguled with a smattering of trees. 

I'm thinking Big Face.  That gets some cupping due to wind, but the really dangerous tree wells, that appear to be solid snow right up to the trunk, appear in truly treed areas.  The snow surrounding the tree might appear level, but it's not consolidated, so it's this invisible pit where snow keeps cascading down on you the more you struggle.  There's a lot of these areas on the back, around Evan's, and off Bigfoot T-Bar.  Those areas don't get so wind blasted so the snow stays fluffy and loose.  Great skiing until...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sibhusky said:

It's pretty mellow here compared to a lot of other places.  We getting more popular though, and I hope it stops.  🙂  Plus, starting next year, Super Seniors won't be free.  One of my goals had been to ski at least until I could ski for free, so that stinks.

Yes, the mellow laid back attitude of the entire scene, is what makes Whitefish so great. Not "in your face " commercialized...

A local  we rode the bus with was saying this will be his last year buying a pass (his 43rd season).. He's gonna be pissed next year.  

Totally agree with your sentiment... I hope Whitefish never changes too.

I use a real camera.  I still own a flip phone.  I take plenty of pictures over the course of a season, but as we all know, not every picture is a keeper.  So the goal is to pick the picture that either embodies the day, is a real stunner, or somehow stands out.  The reality on foggy days it's the one that looks like something, anything. 😰😇😱👿🤓🤓😠😝😧....  Hmm, emoji window came up, never got populated with anything, Chrome froze, now I've got all these stupid emojis and can't delete them?..... You've got a bug here.  

The pictures posted above have been pulled from Facebook, which does a lot of processing, downloaded to an Android tablet, and reloaded here, so they've suffered a bit.  Siblet's pic was probably taken with an iPhone.  It was taken by a skiing companion, certainly not by me.

Edited by sibhusky
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, sibhusky said:

I use a real camera.  I still own a flip phone.  I take plenty of pictures over the course of a season, but as we all know, not every picture is a keeper.  So the goal is to pick the picture that either embodies the day, is a real stunner, or somehow stands out.  The reality on foggy days it's the one that looks like something, anything. 😰😇😱👿🤓🤓😠😝😧....  Hmm, emoji window came up, never got populated with anything, Chrome froze, now I've got all these stupid emojis and can't delete them?..... You've got a bug here.  

The pictures posted above have been pulled from Facebook, which does a lot of processing, downloaded to an Android tablet, and reloaded here, so they've suffered a bit.  Siblet's pic was probably taken with an iPhone.  It was taken by a skiing companion, certainly not by me.

Wow just wow have siblet teach you how to use an iPhone lol.  Is Siblet married with children yet?  It’s been awhile she’s probably like 32-33

19 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow just wow have siblet teach you how to use an iPhone lol.  Is Siblet married with children yet?  It’s been awhile she’s probably like 32-33

Almost 32.  Not married yet.  Seeing a guy who is into mountain biking and back country skiing, tho, so you never know.  

20 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

22 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m looking for a girl who likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.   

I hear Bumble is the place.  I don't know how to get rid of that empty quote.

Edited by sibhusky
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, sibhusky said:

Almost 32.  Not married yet.  Seeing a guy who is into mountain biking and back country skiing, tho, so you never know.  

Still seeing him.  Pics of her riding and after reaching the top of some touring climb. 

Hard to believe when I first joined this board she was 11 years old and on the Camelback team.  

FB_IMG_1571460274943.jpg

FB_IMG_1553489171471.jpg

• Like 2