SallyCat

That was great, please write more reports! I love the real life experiences from working at a ski resort and dealing with lazy coworkers and the general public who don't know how lift pass stickers work.

I was a lift attendant for 2 years, and the guy I worked with had some issues. The ticket window was at the top of the mountain, and a teenager skied down to us without a lift pass because none of the workers ever checked tickets. But that day, my co-worker decided to check tickets, and every time the skier got on the lift, he would shut it down. "No ticket, no ride". Then the skier actually tried walking up a black diamond to get back to the ticket window, and when he realized the futility of it he threw down his rental skis in a fit of rage. Utter stupidity making a skier walk back up a mountain. Eventually he called management and was allowed to ride back up.

Edit: I actually found the picture of them reunited later that day!

x.thumb.jpg.71fd1e56d8ce3702472b3ec99c82ccb8.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That was great, please write more reports! I love the real life experiences from working at a ski resort and dealing with lazy coworkers and the general public who don't know how lift pass stickers work.

I was a lift attendant for 2 years, and the guy I worked with had some issues. The ticket window was at the top of the mountain, and a teenager skied down to us without a lift pass because none of the workers ever checked tickets. But that day, my co-worker decided to check tickets, and every time the skier got on the lift, he would shut it down. "No ticket, no ride". Then the skier actually tried walking up a black diamond to get back to the ticket window, and when he realized the futility of it he threw down his rental skis in a fit of rage. Utter stupidity making a skier walk back up a mountain. Eventually he called management and was allowed to ride back up.

Edit: I actually found the picture of them reunited later that day!

x.thumb.jpg.71fd1e56d8ce3702472b3ec99c82ccb8.jpg

This is great! 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I’ve heard that is a pretty common reaction to volunteering at non-profits in Vermont. These people love the non-profit and the mission so much, that they just miss the point that it isn’t your job. It’s a hobby and you need to enjoy it. You’re doing it to help other people and the overall mission, not your personal ego.

I have friends that have been treated the same way at a mountain biking club that creates and maintains trails in the MRV. Seems to force out all of the competent volunteers so that the incompetent ones can boost their ego and not accomplish things half as quickly or do the job half as well.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Unfortunately, I’ve heard that is a pretty common reaction to volunteering at non-profits in Vermont.

It's not just in VT. People with no management experience in anything get in a position of "power" and go ego crazy in a lot of organizations all over the country. Fire companies, civic organizations, youth sports, churches, etc...

Sally, I'm skiing Magic tomorrow. Doubt you'll be there tomorrow but just in case you are; what kind of skis and color parka would you be wearing?