Sugarbush Advice

Mess

I really need to get to SB (and Stowe / Smuggs) at some point. My approach to ski tripping the East has prevented me from doing so however, really fucking dumb as I know I'm limiting myself but my thoughts are this...

- Catskills are a day trip
- Southern VT at 4.5 hours aren't worth it when in another hour I'm at WF or Killington so I never even consider it. Been to Stratton a while back and don't really see the need to return (yes I know Magic Mt. is worth a visit).
- in 5 1/2 to 6hrs I'm at Whiteface or Killington. Will always opt for WF over Killington.
- 6 hours is my Max usually for driving 1) because I get antsy after 5 plus and 2) I'm entering "I could be out west in this amount of time" territory.
- I can be at SB / MRG in about 6 and half but WF at 5 1/2 always seems more palatable. Plus I really really like me some LP and WF.
- Stowe at 7.5 and Jay at 8 or 9 are 100% in the "is it worth it when I could be in Denver or SLC quicker" timeframe.
- So WF is typically the sweet spot for me. Big ass mountain in less than 6 hours. I like Gore and is perfect for a visit after a few days at WF. Leave LP after skiing WF, check in at hotel near Gore, ski Gore, drive home is an hour shorter than if I were leaving WF.

Only way I see myself skiing Stowe, Smuggs SB is if I were doing some sort of skifari. Again really stupid I know.

23 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I really need to get to SB (and Stowe / Smuggs) at some point. My approach to ski tripping the East has prevented me from doing so however, really fucking dumb as I know I'm limiting myself but my thoughts are this...

- Southern VT at 4.5 hours aren't worth it when in another hour I'm at WF or Killington so I never even consider it. Been to Stratton a while back and don't really see the need to return (yes I know Magic Mt. is worth a visit).
- in 5 1/2 to 6hrs I'm at Whiteface or Killington. Will always opt for WF over Killington.
- 6 hours is my Max usually for driving 1) because I get antsy after 5 plus and 2) I'm entering "I could be out west in this amount of time" territory.
- I can be at SB / MRG in about 6 and half but WF at 5 1/2 always seems more palatable. Plus I really really like me some LP and WF.
- Stowe at 7.5 and Jay at 8 or 9 are 100% in the "is it worth it when I could be in Denver or SLC quicker" timeframe.
- So WF is typically the sweet spot for me. Big ass mountain in less than 6 hours. I like Gore and is perfect for a visit after a few days at WF. Leave LP after skiing WF, check in at hotel near Gore, ski Gore, drive home is an hour shorter than if I were leaving WF.

Only way I see myself skiing Stowe, Smuggs SB is if I were doing some sort of skifari. Again really stupid I know.

Just plan it for this winter..if you don’t you’ll only be another day older when you do. You could easily do a skifari like that taking just two or three days off work and a weekend. 

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Just plan it for this winter..if you don’t you’ll only be another day older when you do.

This is great. If Steeze didn't use that quote on me I probably would have skied ice and slop in VT instead of amazing light fluffy purd.

The mind isn’t always logical, and sometimes we use that flawed logic to create illogical walls that aren’t logical in and of themselves. I completely understand your thinking. I think it’s about pushing through that “wall”. I often find myself thinking more and more about going out west, but the amount of planning and logistics it takes for a trip out west often scare me away. You may think that SB and MRG are past that mental point, but the reality is that it is still easier to hop in the car, drive 6 hours, and book a night in a hotel on a whim, than it is to go out west.

I appreciate WF for what it is. Unfortunately, even on the best years, I haven’t found the coverage in the woods to be very spectacular. It’s just as cold at Sugarbush as there, so that doesn’t scare me away. I’m not a huge town person, so LP doesn’t have that draw for me that it does for others.

Regardless, I’d rather drive 6.5 hours to SB and make it skiing, than to say “ah, it’s almost easier to go out west,” and then not do either.

Nothing wrong with WF. Can’t fault you for going there even if I prefer Gore.
  • Confused 1

The mind isn’t always logical, and sometimes we use that flawed logic to create illogical walls that aren’t logical in and of themselves. I completely understand your thinking. I think it’s about pushing through that “wall”. I often find myself thinking more and more about going out west, but the amount of planning and logistics it takes for a trip out west often scare me away. You may think that SB and MRG are past that mental point, but the reality is that it is still easier to hop in the car, drive 6 hours, and book a night in a hotel on a whim, than it is to go out west.

I appreciate WF for what it is. Unfortunately, even on the best years, I haven’t found the coverage in the woods to be very spectacular. It’s just as cold at Sugarbush as there, so that doesn’t scare me away. I’m not a huge town person, so LP doesn’t have that draw for me that it does for others.

Regardless, I’d rather drive 6.5 hours to SB and make it skiing, than to say “ah, it’s almost easier to go out west,” and then not do either.

Nothing wrong with WF. Can’t fault you for going there even if I prefer Gore.

Umm ok. I think I'm being completely logical but thanks. The fact that you have to think about going out west seems illogical to me.
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

Umm ok. I think I'm being completely logical but thanks. The fact that you have to think about going out west seems illogical to me.

And not a lot of logistics to go on a ski trip out west...hard to take RideDE seriously when he always disappears from PASR for months during the heart of the ski season.  I know he’s busy running a commercial real estate empire and completing his honey to do list but already knowing he’s not gonna ski much this winter is lame.   

Going West: press buttons on computer, drive to airport, sit in metal tube, get rental car, check in at hotel, go skiing.

Going North:  press fewer buttons on computer, drive 6 or more hours, check in at hotel or sleep in car, go skiing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NMSKI said:

Going West: press buttons on computer, drive to airport, sit in metal tube, get rental car, check in at hotel, go skiing.

Going North:  press fewer buttons on computer, drive 6 or more hours, check in at hotel or sleep in car, go skiing.  

All easier than work...and most of us work at least 200 days a year. 

I didn’t mean to infer that it wasn’t logical. Your logic is what you decide it is and how your brain works. I don’t think an extra hour would deter me because I’m used to 9.5 hour drives to get up to VT anyway.

I have to think about going out west because historically I haven’t been in a financial position to do so, and it’s much cheaper for me to hop in the car on a minutes notice and drive to Sugarbush for two weeks than to go out west for two weeks.

I find going out west to be difficult because I’m not a planner. Figuring out where to fly from, how much it is to leave the car, where to fly into, where to get appropriately priced passes and lodging, and if I have to rent a car, is all exhausting, not to mention expensive. On top of that, I need to remember to bring all my gear home from VT ahead of time, and with work, I just don’t know when I’m going to need to attend a meeting. Unfortunately, complex issues arise all the time in development, construction, and leasing. It’s much easier for me to hop in the car, pound some coffee, and drive home, than it is for me to have to leave early and fly home in case of emergency. The financial stakes of leaving VT early and driving home are much less than a full outlay for a trip out west as well.
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

I didn’t mean to infer that it wasn’t logical. Your logic is what you decide it is and how your brain works. I don’t think an extra hour would deter me because I’m used to 9.5 hour drives to get up to VT anyway.

I have to think about going out west because historically I haven’t been in a financial position to do so, and it’s much cheaper for me to hop in the car on a minutes notice and drive to Sugarbush for two weeks than to go out west for two weeks.

I find going out west to be difficult because I’m not a planner. Figuring out where to fly from, how much it is to leave the car, where to fly into, where to get appropriately priced passes and lodging, and if I have to rent a car, is all exhausting, not to mention expensive. On top of that, I need to remember to bring all my gear home from VT ahead of time, and with work, I just don’t know when I’m going to need to attend a meeting. Unfortunately, complex issues arise all the time in development, construction, and leasing. It’s much easier for me to hop in the car, pound some coffee, and drive home, than it is for me to have to leave early and fly home in case of emergency. The financial stakes of leaving VT early and driving home are much less than a full outlay for a trip out west as well.

TLDR

I didn’t mean to infer that it wasn’t logical. Your logic is what you decide it is and how your brain works.

Sounded like it to me...

"The mind isn’t always logical, and sometimes we use that flawed logic to create illogical walls that aren’t logical in and of themselves. I completely understand your thinking. I think it’s about pushing through that “wall”. "

Probably not your intent because I know you're a nice guy but just FYI...came off a bit condescending as well.

Probably not your intent because I know you're a nice guy but just FYI...came off a bit condescending as well.

Definitely not my intent. I read that sentence like 6 times before I posted it to make sure it made sense, but I didn’t proofread it for douchiness.

Lots of stress with stuff at work and sleep isn’t coming easily. Brain isn’t always working well first thing in the morning.

7 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Sounded like it to me...

"The mind isn’t always logical, and sometimes we use that flawed logic to create illogical walls that aren’t logical in and of themselves. I completely understand your thinking. I think it’s about pushing through that “wall”. "

He’s not a nice guy..but he is condescending.  

Well maybe you should "push through that wall" and read it.

Now that I read back through it, I think my thinking was that it might be worth pushing through that 5.5 hour drive to WF wall to go the extra hour to SB or MRG to try it out, not that your reasoning based on hours was illogical. However, if you enjoy going to WF, and you only get one trip up north per year (not sure how many you’re usually able to take), then why pass up a guaranteed winner in your mind for an extra hour, especially when SLC is 9 times out of 10 going to be a winner for the same time frame? I drive all the way to Le Massif when able, and there’s plenty of places just as good and more vacation friendly much south of that, or much west of that and a shorter travel time. I just don’t want to miss out on it. Just something about it keeps me wanting to go back.

Maybe I’ll stop digging myself a hole sometime soon and shut up. I probably need a second cup of coffee...

He’s not a nice guy..but he is condescending.  

I’m not sure what I did to deserve that, but ok. I am fairly guilty of being condescending by accident. I’m not a literary expert. I don’t look too far into my posts. I don’t look for hidden messages. If I post something that isn’t taken well, I would say that 99.99% of the time it’s because I didn’t see how it was offensive at the time I wrote it. In that situation, I am pretty quick to try to make things right.

I’m not sure what I did to deserve that, but ok. I am fairly guilty of being condescending by accident. I’m not a literary expert. I don’t look too far into my posts. I don’t look for hidden messages. If I post something that isn’t taken well, I would say that 99.99% of the time it’s because I didn’t see how it was offensive at the time I wrote it. In that situation, I am pretty quick to try to make things right.

I know you're not a bad guy. Don't listen to Doug

Now that I read back through it, I think my thinking was that it might be worth pushing through that 5.5 hour drive to WF wall to go the extra hour to SB or MRG to try it out, not that your reasoning based on hours was illogical. However, if you enjoy going to WF, and you only get one trip up north per year (not sure how many you’re usually able to take), then why pass up a guaranteed winner in your mind for an extra hour, especially when SLC is 9 times out of 10 going to be a winner for the same time frame? I drive all the way to Le Massif when able, and there’s plenty of places just as good and more vacation friendly much south of that, or much west of that and a shorter travel time. I just don’t want to miss out on it. Just something about it keeps me wanting to go back.

Maybe I’ll stop digging myself a hole sometime soon and shut up. I probably need a second cup of coffee...

No digging there. Candidly with everything I have going on the home front, multiple trips a year outside of PA are tough (I'm not counting day trips to the Catskills). So it's usually one trip and I need to make it good. Such is life. It's been primarily somewhere out west before last year.