Killington mid-April?

enjoralas

What's they dynamic typically like mid-April at Killington? I know obviously a heat wave or something can change conditions drastically and quickly, but historically, have they shut a bunch of areas down by then? Trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a 4/14 - 4/17 trip with Pops. First time up there and want to make sure we don't show up and find not much we can handle.

I'm thinking of doing the same weekend there with my wife and kids.  Really hoping I can make it work.

It just got real that I have only 2 sessions left this season unless I plan something for mid-April!

15 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

I'm thinking of doing the same weekend there with my wife and kids.  Really hoping I can make it work.

It just got real that I have only 2 sessions left this season unless I plan something for mid-April!

Our plan is to drive up Sunday, ski Monday and Tuesday, then drive home Wednesday. Probably going to splurge on slope side lodging in the Grand. Three nights, 2 days skiing coming in for under $900

• Like 3

Keep checking their snow reports. It should be great coverage based on how much snow they've had this year, but if it warms up quick, things start to melt out and could change pretty quickly. That said, the scene on superstar at that point will be stellar. Top to bottom bumps, people from up and down the east coast all congregating on that one trail to get some prime springtime bumps laps in. It's super fun.

Unless you've got a crazy good deal on the grand, don't stay there. I stayed there with my wife last time we were at killy and it is absolutely not worth the upcharge. It's unlikely you're gonna be able to ski in/ski out at that time of year anyway, and it's a long-ish walk to the lifts. Summit lodge is one of my favorite places up there. It's usually cheap, has awesome breakfast for a slight upcharge, they have a bunch of hotel st bernards hanging around the loungy areas, and it's a smaller family run place. It's on the access road, about a 5 minute drive to the K1 parking lot. 

• Like 5

It's been a good snow year but as others have said, it can get melty fast and we're starting to get some warm days.  Still, in Mid-April you'll likely be able to ski Snowdon, Ramshead, and my favorites: the trails next to Superstar (Sylark, Bittersweet, et al.), which get nicely bumped-up and fun throughout the day.  The Superstar chairlift and adjacent umbrella bar are where it's at as far as the scene, which is very fun and laid-back. Get there early and you can tailgate in the lot. 

You should come with low expectations for snow quality and a LOT of warm-weather wax; there will be puddles in the base area and it will get really heavy as the day goes on. I still think it's a blast and really not-bad skiing. 

• Like 3

Keep checking their snow reports. It should be great coverage based on how much snow they've had this year, but if it warms up quick, things start to melt out and could change pretty quickly. That said, the scene on superstar at that point will be stellar. Top to bottom bumps, people from up and down the east coast all congregating on that one trail to get some prime springtime bumps laps in. It's super fun.

Unless you've got a crazy good deal on the grand, don't stay there. I stayed there with my wife last time we were at killy and it is absolutely not worth the upcharge. It's unlikely you're gonna be able to ski in/ski out at that time of year anyway, and it's a long-ish walk to the lifts. Summit lodge is one of my favorite places up there. It's usually cheap, has awesome breakfast for a slight upcharge, they have a bunch of hotel st bernards hanging around the loungy areas, and it's a smaller family run place. It's on the access road, about a 5 minute drive to the K1 parking lot. 

Yeah, so much more available for a LOT cheaper.

Turn of River lodge will have rooms for $70/night or so. Or can stay even cheaper in bunk room below [emoji38]

And superstar has a glacier on it. Should be able to ski into June if they want

5 minutes ago, tarponhead said:

Yeah, so much more available for a LOT cheaper.

Turn of River lodge will have rooms for $70/night or so. Or can stay even cheaper in bunk room below emoji38.png

And superstar has a glacier on it. Should be able to ski into June if they want

You love bunkbeds.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I've slept above him many times!

I’ve shared a hotel room with my Montana friend several times and he snores. You two are like old hippies that don’t look like hippies lol.  Tarpenhead has a little bit of edge though due to his soul patch..aka flavor saver. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’ve shared a hotel room with my Montana friend several times and he snores. You two are like old hippies that don’t look like hippies lol.  Tarpenhead has a little bit of edge though due to his soul patch..aka flavor saver. 

When it comes to hair and hygiene, I'm definitely op-hippie.