Introduction

ghubsch

Hi all.

I have been following this forum since last season, and having fun with some threads, so, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself, as it seems I already know some of you (at least by nicknames!)

I was born in Brazil at a German family in the mid-sixties, lived in Portugal for around 25 years, and around 2 years ago got transferred by my company to US branch, living and working in Jersey City.

Regarding my “skier” life, while in Portugal I had some trips to Sierra Nevada (6h drive) and Andorra (12h drive), but it was not easy nor cheap. I had some lessons back then, but never got further than a green trail. Last (2017/2108) season, I did not knew anything here, and one day I ventured into PA to visit the ski resorts around. Visited CB, but fell in love to Blue Mountain. It was only around beginning of March that season when I started to go skiing, and, despite my very low level, I love it. I had some lessons at BM, and was progressing again, almost starting from scratch because it was more than 15 years since my last time on skis.

Last weekend of that season (already in April), I stayed on a nearby hotel for the weekend, and skied at BM on Saturday, and at CB on Sunday. Started the Sunday skiing at the bunny slope (Sunbowl) as usual, then had a fall (don’t ask me how or why!), and tore my ACL + MCL. Had surgery in August, and being on physical therapy since then. My doctor is very cautious, and has not cleared me to go back to mountain yet, so, this season, the closest I got to skiing was reading this forum!

As I’m already in my early fifties, I don’t know if I will ever get past the green slopes and ever have the pleasure to ski with any of you, but, if you don’t mind, I will feel as part of this nice group of people, with this nice passion that I share.

I was planning to go there to see the pond skimming on Sunday (I would at least recognize phillycore if he really brings his pink tutu as he said!!), but, as it moved to Saturday, and I have already plans during the morning,  will not be able to make it, unfortunately.

At least, I hope to see you next season at the base of the slopes, or at the parking lot!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Thanks for the introduction. Skiing is very much mental..although from what I’ve heard it’s much harder to learn as an adult.  Just some fast twitch movements that are instinctive to skiers who have been skiing since they were kids. 

Yes, I think it is hard, but I'm hoping that as I'm patient, and like to learn new things, I may be able to evolve a little bit, being able to practice more regularly.

Anyway, even still going instinctively to the damn snowplow when speed increases, I really enjoy a lot the time I have in the slopes, and it seems "therapeutic"! So, even if I don't progress much, I will not give up ;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Welcome...hope to see you in the parking lot next season.  Hanging out in the parking lot can be as fun as the skiing.

Thank you!

Yes, for what I have read and seen in some pictures, the parking lot looks to be a lot of fun!

2 hours ago, ghubsch said:

As I’m already in my early fifties, I don’t know if I will ever get past the green slopes and ever have the pleasure to ski with any of you, but, if you don’t mind, I will feel as part of this nice group of people, with this nice passion that I share.

At least, I hope to see you next season at the base of the slopes, or at the parking lot!

You will get past the greens.  ski with people that are above your level some.  watch and learn.  Take a lesson.  take the time on your own to hone in on tips people give you.  Rinse and repeat.  There are alot of people here that can give solid advice on technique and equipment.  Absorb it.  Research.  This isnt a bad place if your skin is just a little thick.  Enjoy.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

You will get past the greens.  ski with people that are above your level some.  watch and learn.  Take a lesson.  take the time on your own to hone in on tips people give you.  Rinse and repeat.  There are alot of people here that can give solid advice on technique and equipment.  Absorb it.  Research.  This isnt a bad place if your skin is just a little thick.  Enjoy.  

Thank you for your words. I'm absolutely sure that I am at the right place to learn a lot... already have... and that's why I thought I should present myself, because I was feeling bad about reading, enjoying and learning anonymously!

8 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

My dad started at 58 and skis the blues at Blue fine, and handles the blacks when conditions are good. You can make it happen. Once you are healed up, get out as much as you can.

This gives me really a lot of hope!

Next season, hopefully I will be fully healed and plan to get out as much as I can... I think the beginning will be hard again, because I may be unconsciously afraid to fall, but I will get past that.

Looking forward to know you and your father ;)

Welcome and good luck. There is never a bad time to learn and soon you might just overtake a few people here and be the best skier on the mountain (I hear there is a hat involved). 

Seriously though just get after it and get on the snow as much as you can. You might want to consider getting a season pass for somewhere because that will get you out a lot more than if you were to base all your days on paying window price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

My dad started at 58 and skis the blues at Blue fine, and handles the blacks when conditions are good. You can make it happen. Once you are healed up, get out as much as you can.

And you both have progressed so much since I've seen you skiing with us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep don’t let your age be a barrier. I’m in my late 40s and just came back to skiing at the end of last year after a 25 year break. I was a hack back in the day and just liked to go fast lol. Started this year at maybe a level just above beginner. Took a few private lessons with the goal of doing blues this year. The last few weeks I’ve been hitting blacks and some double blacks at Blue. Might not always be pretty on the steeper stuff or in not so favorable conditions but I’m ahead of where I wanted to be.

Blue has a six week adult clinic if you can swing the time during the week. Someone mentioned skiing with better skiers and that definitely helps. I’m always looking to shadow random good skiers. Once you get past that wedge and start riding the skis it’s going to get a whole lot easier and less physically demanding.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Schif said:

Welcome and good luck. There is never a bad time to learn and soon you might just overtake a few people here and be the best skier on the mountain (I hear there is a hat involved). 

Seriously though just get after it and get on the snow as much as you can. You might want to consider getting a season pass for somewhere because that will get you out a lot more than if you were to base all your days on paying window price. 

Thank you Schif, but I don't see me overpassing anyone here soon!

And thanks for the advice. I will really get a season pass. Just not buying right now because I don't know yet how I will be at the beginning next season, but, if everything goes well, I will buy one, even knowing that it will he more expensive, because in any case it will be cheaper than pay for every day... and I'm counting to be many days!

Edited by ghubsch

2 minutes ago, ghubsch said:

Thank you Schif, but I don't see me overpassing anyone here soon!

Ant thanks for the advice. I will really get a season pass. Just not buying right now because I don't know yet how I will be at the beginning next season, but, if everything goes well, I will buy one, even knowing that it will he more expensive, because in any case it will be cheaper than pay for every day... and I'm counting to be many days!

Can you turn? If not, once you do you will surpass Doug. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikes781 said:

Yep don’t let your age be a barrier. I’m in my late 40s and just came back to skiing at the end of last year after a 25 year break. I was a hack back in the day and just liked to go fast lol. Started this year at maybe a level just above beginner. Took a few private lessons with the goal of doing blues this year. The last few weeks I’ve been hitting blacks and some double blacks at Blue. Might not always be pretty on the steeper stuff or in not so favorable conditions but I’m ahead of where I wanted to be.

Blue has a six week adult clinic if you can swing the time during the week. Someone mentioned skiing with better skiers and that definitely helps. I’m always looking to shadow random good skiers. Once you get past that wedge and start riding the skis it’s going to get a whole lot easier and less physically demanding.

Thanks for all the motivation guys. Really thank you... I'm really really looking forward for next season!

I did not knew that Blue hat that adult clinic, and it is very good to know. I was planning to have at least like 3 consecutive days lessons, but this 6 days programs looks very interesting.

Will look into it, and plan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Can you turn? If not, once you do you will surpass Doug. 

Yes, I can turn... wedge turns 100%... parallel turns is where it gets bit more difficult, but I was getting there! 

So, seems I'm already not the last on the rank 🤣

8 minutes ago, ghubsch said:

Yes, I can turn... wedge turns 100%... parallel turns is where it gets bit more difficult, but I was getting there! 

So, seems I'm already not the last on the rank 🤣

You never know. He beats everybody here in terms of mm. Which brings up an interesting question... How long are your skis?

21 minutes ago, eaf said:

You never know. He beats everybody here in terms of mm. Which brings up an interesting question... How long are your skis?

Oh Noooo! 

I was hoping no one asked me this so soon... I read all the 14 pages of the thread when saltyant bought his RTM81's, and I saw how he suffered after buying them because of the length!

So, my first runs last season where with rentals, but, after a very stinky boot experience (the boot I used to go home still stinks!), I decided I need to buy my own equipment (as I was getting serious about it), and did a lot of research (before knowing this forum). 

Resuming, I ended up buying an Atomic Vantage X 75 C, 163cm long. I am around 5'10".

I know (now) that some will say I'm a moron, but now I will need to learn with them, at least for next season. 

I skied only 2 days on them, and felt they were much better than the rentals!!

4 minutes ago, ghubsch said:

I read all the 14 pages of the thread when saltyant bought his RTM81's, and I saw how he suffered after buying them because of the length!

This is great!! I'm not sure exactly how I suffered, I even got my own cake. RTM 81s are excellent skis for riding the mountain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

This is great!! I'm not sure exactly how I suffered, I even got my own cake. RTM 81s are excellent skis for riding the mountain.

After you bought 170 a lot of people started saying you should have bought 177 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ghubsch said:

And sorry for my bad English sometimes... as you can imagine from my introduction, is not my mother language ;)

I noticed some errors on my last post!

Your English is pretty good. My friend from the bar has been in the United States since the 80s and his English is really bad but he knows how to hit the vaporizer. 

• Haha 1