Introduction

ghubsch

42 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

If I wasn’t so tired from skiing and beer and food I’d give you some snow definitions.  There’s dozens of snow conditions. All have their merits.  Season pass is the key because you walk right to the lifts no need to mess with a ticket line and if it’s a marginal day likes chance of showers you can still ski a little and sometimes those days turn out to be the best days.  The ski season is too short to cherrypick your days.  

Totally agree: sometimes the days that promise from the forecast to be awful turn out to be really fun and uncrowded.

I'm stuck in an airport killing time, so here is some info:

Paradise is a green trail and very easy. It's long and wide but not steep. It's easier than Burma because it's not as twisty and the snow doesn't pile up at the turns. Lazy Mile is labeled a blue trail but it is really green as long as you head toward the double chair at the bottom intersection. Again, it's super-wide, not steep. The only downside of LM is that it can get crowded with kids straight-lining their way down it, barely in control.  

I don't know names for snow types necessarily, just that what you get a Blue is some of everything, but also a lot of hard, firm snow and lots of granular snow over ice, and that stuff (the latter) tends to form sand-dune-like on the sides of the trail. I like to ski the sand dunes instead of the ice. It's uneven and forces you/teaches you to maintain good balance. Don't avoid difficult snow: it shows you a lot about how you're progressing (or not).  On the plus side, soft spring snow is great because it allows you to ski harder trails comfortably on account of having so much easy grip. 

I moved to Vermont last year so am not around Blue these days otherwise I would be very happy to ski with you. Ask the posters here to ski a run or two with you andor to tell you what they see from the lift. That is really valuable feedback.

I'm 50 and only started skiing a few years ago. I stagnated for a long while as a low-intermediate plodding skier, which was frustrating. This year I worked on my form a bit more diligently and it made a big difference. Bottom line, I got out of the backseat by shoving my Downstairs Lady Parts forward over my feet (instead of the bent-knee-crouching-thing I'd been doing) and pressured my new downhill edge much sooner. The combo of those two actions got me off my quads,  out of the backseat, and skiing a lot faster and more controlled. Fun!). So don't feel as though you can't progress just because you started later in life. Plus the learning is fun; and when it's not fun, there's a bar at the summit, a bar in the valley, and beer and good company in the lot!

Good luck! 

Sally

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Sally, that you very much of taking your time to share such a valuable information for me.

59 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

The only downside of LM is that it can get crowded with kids straight-lining their way down it, barely in control.  

Those one I know... the instructor at Blue told me that these are called "meat rockets" :D

About the tracks, if good info... hopefully next season, I can make Paradise and Lazy Mile... This one I would not dare to try before this info, but, maybe after building some confidence .

Regarding Vermont... as I was not able to ski this season, I used the time to get to know the ski resorts around. Beginning of last November, I took one week to travel around Vermont. Stayed a couple of days in Rutland, and others in Burlington, and in the meantime visited Mount Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Killington, Pico, Stowe and Bolton Valley. Loved Vermont, and of course, loved the resorts around... Especially Stratton because of the base village, and Killington as it was the only one open beginning November!

So, I will go back to Vermont some day to ski for sure. Would be my pleasure to ski with you, and have some beers together... I will let you know next time I will be around.

I'm hoping that with some frequent training next season I will be able to progress, as you did. Anyways, I love to be on the snow, so, it is never frustrating... but I'm sure that with some practice it will be much more fun, and less demanding.

As a german descent, I love some beer, so, I'm pretty sure learning sessions will be always fun, as you describe ;)

Thanks again!