Introduction

ghubsch

Hi all.
I have been following this forum since last season, and having fun with some threads, so, I thought it would be polite to introduce myself, as it seems I already know some of you (at least by nicknames!)

I was born in Brazil at a German family in the mid-sixties, lived in Portugal for around 25 years, and around 2 years ago got transferred by my company to US branch, living and working in Jersey City.

Regarding my “skier” life, while in Portugal I had some trips to Sierra Nevada (6h drive) and Andorra (12h drive), but it was not easy nor cheap. I had some lessons back then, but never got further than a green trail. Last (2017/2108) season, I did not knew anything here, and one day I ventured into PA to visit the ski resorts around. Visited CB, but fell in love to Blue Mountain. It was only around beginning of March that season when I started to go skiing, and, despite my very low level, I love it. I had some lessons at BM, and was progressing again, almost starting from scratch because it was more than 15 years since my last time on skis.

Last weekend of that season (already in April), I stayed on a nearby hotel for the weekend, and skied at BM on Saturday, and at CB on Sunday. Started the Sunday skiing at the bunny slope (Sunbowl) as usual, then had a fall (don’t ask me how or why!), and tore my ACL + MCL. Had surgery in August, and being on physical therapy since then. My doctor is very cautious, and has not cleared me to go back to mountain yet, so, this season, the closest I got to skiing was reading this forum!

As I’m already in my early fifties, I don’t know if I will ever get past the green slopes and ever have the pleasure to ski with any of you, but, if you don’t mind, I will feel as part of this nice group of people, with this nice passion that I share.

I was planning to go there to see the pond skimming on Sunday (I would at least recognize phillycore if he really brings his pink tutu as he said!!), but, as it moved to Saturday, and I have already plans during the morning,  will not be able to make it, unfortunately.

At least, I hope to see you next season at the base of the slopes, or at the parking lot!

How’s your chorizo game? Asking for a friend
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, momskeeztoo said:

If you had surgery in August, you should be ready to ski next season. Did you get a knee brace? A real one that you go get fitted for, not something you can get at CVS. I tore my ACL in 2012, still use my brace. 

I wore a brace for the first two or two and a half months. But my doctor said that he will give me a sports (lighter) brace to use on my first days of skin, mainly to help on the confidence. But he said I would not need to use it for long. 

Welcome! 

Agree that a season pass will get you on snow more and you'll progress faster. Blue is a great mountain for learning, it's just tricky to avoid the crowds. But night skiing gets you a lot of practice time and Paradise and Lazy Mile are great trails to learn on. Go even when the weather and/or the snow sucks, you'll still have fun and learn a lot. 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Welcome! 

Agree that a season pass will get you on snow more and you'll progress faster. Blue is a great mountain for learning, it's just tricky to avoid the crowds. But night skiing gets you a lot of practice time and Paradise and Lazy Mile are great trails to learn on. Go even when the weather and/or the snow sucks, you'll still have fun and learn a lot. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for checking in. Hows the spring skiing?  I haven’t checked how warm it is in VT but I’m sure you’ll have another snowfall or two. Have some maple syrup or sugar on snow it’s good 

4 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Welcome! 

Enjoy!

Thank you SallyCat,

Yes, I will really get a season pass next season, as soon as I know I'm OK.

And thanks for the tips on Blue. I only skied Valley School, Vista and Burma Road for now, and Burma was on the last day of last season, and it was very bad! I Still don't understand the several snow definitions you use here :D

I really pretend to go out a lot next season.

4 minutes ago, ghubsch said:

Thank you SallyCat,

Yes, I will really get a season pass next season, as soon as I know I'm OK.

And thanks for the tips on Blue. I only skied Valley School, Vista and Burma Road for now, and Burma was on the last day of last season, and it was very bad! I Still don't understand the several snow definitions you use here :D

I really pretend to go out a lot next season.

If I wasn’t so tired from skiing and beer and food I’d give you some snow definitions.  There’s dozens of snow conditions. All have their merits.  Season pass is the key because you walk right to the lifts no need to mess with a ticket line and if it’s a marginal day likes chance of showers you can still ski a little and sometimes those days turn out to be the best days.  The ski season is too short to cherrypick your days.  

• Like 3