Closed today!

indiggio

7 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Jesus. Has it gotten this far? That was almost a negative word about Blue.

I’ve always criticized their social media..they could at least go out on the mountain for ten minutes a day and post some pics and videos.   It’s just we’re stuck with them. No other decent places to ski around here. At least nowhere I’d want to ski regularly at. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

58 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Doesn’t matter Blue should open earlier than camelback and close later.  The old blue did. 

You sound overly depressed today. Did you buy the pass yet?? Would suck if you'd miss the last remaining quantity on the last day of the season, would have to go for CB Value Pass, and I'd have one less familiar character to see on the mountain.

Btw, should that ever happen, remember, there is still MC with its three peaks.

Edited by eaf

24 minutes ago, eaf said:

You sound overly depressed today. Did you buy the pass yet?? Would suck if you'd miss the last remaining quantity on the last day of the season, would have to go for CB Value Pass, and I'd have one less familiar character to see on the mountain.

Btw, should that ever happen, remember, there is still MC with its three peaks.

I’m buying pass when I return home from skiing tomorrow.  Price goes up April 1

I’m sure Blue has lost money all week. On Wednesday I saw a few on rental skis, so they may have sold a few tickets. Thursday we literally had our own private mountain. Must be next to impossible to turn a profit at a ski area any more. Liability mostly, I would guess. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I’m sure Blue has lost money all week. On Wednesday I saw a few on rental skis, so they may have sold a few tickets. Thursday we literally had our own private mountain. Must be next to impossible to turn a profit at a ski area any more. Liability mostly, I would guess. 

I just couldn’t imagine being in the ski resort business.  The payroll, insurance and utility expenses are sky high.  Imagine the workman’s compensation just for the snowmakers and groomers. The cash flow is all over the place..even a place like Jackson hole finds it in their best interest to get on a multi mountain pass like the Ikon to boost cash flow and hedge against a bad season. My business does great but we need to increase sales every year to make up for all of our expenses rising every year which gasp means price increases.  Last year I bucked the trend and didn’t raise prices and was up double digits..so all good..if down with no price increase I have to take a pay cut or give employees jelly of the month club membership for their Xmas bonus.  It’s the gift that keeps giving Clark..thank god I don’t give employees gift cards.  

5 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

What you're saying would be true and relevant if they also weren't selling season passes. Once they start doing it, all talks about one or two weeks being non profitable are moot. They didn't do a thing yet to justify me paying them for the 20/21 pass, so I feel at a great loss already.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eaf said:

What you're saying would be true and relevant if they also weren't selling season passes. Once they start doing it, all talks about one or two weeks being non profitable are moot. They didn't do a thing yet to justify me paying them for the 20/21 pass, so I feel at a great loss already.

How did you get your hands on a 20/21 pass?

10 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

I don't blame them one bit for closing yesterday. I take exception to them trying to claim it was to "save the snow for the pond skim."

11 hours ago, eaf said:

If you don’t want a pass, and feel it’s not worth it, than don’t buy one. I just made a statement that it’s probably really hard to make a profit on a ski area. They lost a lot of snow since Thursday, probably good they were closed yesterday. 

1 minute ago, momskeeztoo said:

If you don’t want a pass, and feel it’s not worth it, than don’t buy one. I just made a statement that it’s probably really hard to make a profit on a ski area. They lost a lot of snow since Thursday, probably good they were closed yesterday. 

I have a pass.

I'm just saying, and not targeting your comment in particular because I saw people commenting similarly before, that whether the mountain loses money on a particular day or not is irrelevant and can't be an excuse for stopping the lifts. Because they do have obligations to season pass holders that gave them a lump sum of money up to a year before and expect to have service available, whether it's profitable on a given day or not. Freaking CB was open just fine on Friday and I had my share of talks today on the lifts from their season pass holders about how BM can't hold a candle to CB.

I had a window cleaning supply store call me the other day to see if I needed any equipment. I called him back and asked what kind of deal he can get me on a few things. He said they're regular price. 

Why did you call me then? To tell me your store is open??? Ok.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, eaf said:

I have a pass.

I'm just saying, and not targeting your comment in particular because I saw people commenting similarly before, that whether the mountain loses money on a particular day or not is irrelevant and can't be an excuse for stopping the lifts. Because they do have obligations to season pass holders that gave them a lump sum of money up to a year before and expect to have service available, whether it's profitable on a given day or not.

You need a better understanding of what you're buying.

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

You’re literally skiing there for free after the 8th time or something like that, they don’t owe you shit after that day. 

That's another misconception. Just look at $189 window prices and the $699  cost of Epic passes as Doug said in another thread. Someone coming to the window would think that wow, what a deal, the pass will pay itself off in just 4 visits and then I'll be skiing for free. What he misses in that comparison is why the price of the one day ticket is so freaking high in the first place. Skiing is not worth $189 a day at any resort.

And nobody's skiing for free at Blue. I pay for the contract in advance, they agree to keep the lifts spinning. I'm at a loss on a President's day weekend when every family shows up paying them window prices. They're at a loss on a March weekday when season pass holders can finally ski the trails without feeling that they're sardines in a can. So it's fair.

There was a mountain called Alpine that liked to randomly close on their season pass holders. They felt they could really abuse that, also probably thinking along the same lines that it's not profitable to spin the lifts when there are no people. Well, maybe for another reason, but they didn't even up well.pp