Rmnp 4.6.19

Barb

Day 2 of my 3 day AIARE 1 course. Yesterday we spent mostly in class, but did a short tour of hidden valley. Not gonna log it in my stats because it was mostly off skis.

Today was much more fun! Went on a ski tour starting at Bear Lake. Our destination was dream lake. It is a very scenic area, I have hiked it in both summer and winter. The winter trail is quite steep on skins and that is wheat we took. Our guide gave me a great tip of looking up (not down at skis) so you put more weight on your heels. Just doing that I was able to not slide backwards which I have done every time I have went out.

5eaa1875c11087c0c268de45cc47bdc4.jpg

Dream Lake

97a7df575839900946a78222cdf88080.jpg

This section is called Dragon’s tail couloir. I hav seen it referenced it a lot of the face book Bc groups. Guide said it is 50 degree slope. Not something I can see myself ever doing, but cool ot now see where it is.

025d13b5f577cb667ac9350aeeb58621.jpg

Waiting to drop. Was good to get out of my comfort zone. Steep, sloppy first drop in. Still getting used to my fat skis.

8819a9b43d3e0cf0f6406061673b86f6.jpg

386521c59ced27acbd2443bf4aa44b9f.jpg

Digging pits out test snowpack stability.

Had one hiccup that I leaned my poles against my car, put my skis on top rack, opened back door to climb up. Made the mistake of leaving back door open, huge gust of wind came out of nowhere, slammed car door with pole inside. Surprisingly, the pole is fine, my car, not so much. Gonna have to fix that, bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6