Skison 19/20

moe ghoul

2 minutes ago, Shadows said:

I've just recently started listening to the podcast. He's not that great. 

He’s basic as fuck and him and Tyler are both so watered down compared to the podcasts I normally listen to like Joe Rogan, Joey Diaz, Pauly Shore, Theo Vonn...on and on...I know two people who’ve been on the podcast local comedian Kris Fried and local country music singer Kendell Conrad..I actually know a whole lot more people who were on Tony Ianellis business matters show...I also know somebody who was on judge judy and my aunt had sex with Warren beatty in the 70s  

5 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Awesome! How many years in a row is this now?

16 and my 17th trip.  I went in 2002 then 2005-now....I should have bought Ikon pass.  7 day JH pass through central reservations $828.  The 8 nights at elk country significantly less than the lift ticket.  Oh well..

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

18 minutes ago, Barb said:

You should cancel and just get an Ikon if you are planning to come to CO in the spring. Full Ikon gives 7 days at JH then you can use up to 7 days at Abasin and unlimited at WP and Copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Full Ikon is $1099 and I’m not cancelling over the chance to save maybe a couple hundred not that significant just maybe for next year I’ll get the Ikon. 

49 minutes ago, Barb said:

You should cancel and just get an Ikon if you are planning to come to CO in the spring. Full Ikon gives 7 days at JH then you can use up to 7 days at Abasin and unlimited at WP and Copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That makes too much sense. He won't do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

We all just learned about it today with the rest of the world. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I fully support the rights of a business owner to sell their business, and I understand that expenses for a solo resort without buying power are much more, but we have repeatedly been told, including just a couple weeks ago, that we were dedicated to staying independent. It feels like a betrayal of sorts. I really enjoy working there, so I’ll give it this year and next year to see how things change (they insist they won’t, but we all know that’s corporate speak so people don’t freak out). If they really do stay the same, I’ll probably continue working there. If not, it may just be time to buy a season pass or move onto another resort. I would probably look at Plattekill or Saddleback. Time will tell.

Just now, Ride Delaware ? said:

We all just learned about it today with the rest of the world. I’m not sure how I feel about it. I fully support the rights of a business owner to sell their business, and I understand that expenses for a solo resort without buying power are much more, but we have repeatedly been told, including just a couple weeks ago, that we were dedicated to staying independent. It feels like a betrayal of sorts. I really enjoy working there, so I’ll give it this year and next year to see how things change (they insist they won’t, but we all know that’s corporate speak so people don’t freak out). If they really do stay the same, I’ll probably continue working there. If not, it may just be time to buy a season pass or move onto another resort. I would probably look at Plattekill or Saddleback. Time will tell.

Well Win is up there in years.  I’m sure he’s ready to enjoy his retirement.  Now that it’s on the Ikon pass more people with get to experience the resort.  Great stuff and should be good job security for ski patrol as a lot of Ikonic people are real Yahoos

Well Win is up there in years.  I’m sure he’s ready to enjoy his retirement.  Now that it’s on the Ikon pass more people with get to experience the resort.  Great stuff and should be good job security for ski patrol as a lot of Ikonic people are real Yahoos

Except Win isn’t retiring. He is staying on for the foreseeable future, and I’m sure his contract with them gives him an incredible amount of flexibility.

Volunteer patrollers don’t need job security due to increased injuries. We are there to help people and by no means want anyone to get hurt. Our job security is simple economics. Skiing and snowboarding is already an elitist sport, is becoming expensive even for middle class families, and prices can’t continue to rise at the same clip they have been. Therefore, most ski areas can’t afford a fully staffed paid patrol. We have 30-40 patrollers working each weekend, and only about 10 of them are paid. Pricing would be astronomical, especially in New England where snowmaking takes up a huge part of your budget.

Furthermore, I don’t think any of us want it to be any busier. At Sunday River, we sometimes did 90 calls a day during weekends and holiday weeks. At Sugarbush we do about 80 all week during those times. I’d much rather be out doing trail checks and trail work than helping injured skiers 24/7.

Just now, Ride Delaware ? said:

Except Win isn’t retiring. He is staying on for the foreseeable future, and I’m sure his contract with them gives him an incredible amount of flexibility.

Volunteer patrollers don’t need job security due to increased injuries. We are there to help people and by no means want anyone to get hurt. Our job security is simple economics. Skiing and snowboarding is already an elitist sport, is becoming expensive even for middle class families, and prices can’t continue to rise at the same clip they have been. Therefore, most ski areas can’t afford a fully staffed paid patrol. We have 30-40 patrollers working each weekend, and only about 10 of them are paid. Pricing would be astronomical, especially in New England where snowmaking takes up a huge part of your budget.

Furthermore, I don’t think any of us want it to be any busier. At Sunday River, we sometimes did 90 calls a day during weekends and holiday weeks. At Sugarbush we do about 80 all week during those times. I’d much rather be out doing trail checks and trail work than helping injured skiers 24/7.

I thought Win is over 70 years old wow.  I feel like Blue has about 30-40 patrollers on the weekends.  There are 180 or so patrollers at blue and they typically have to work one weekend shift and weekday or night shift a week. I do find it crazy that for profit ski resorts still have volunteer ski patrols.  Places like Jackson hole I’m sure don’t have volunteers but they’re rolling in the dough. 

Our benefits are pretty nice, which is also something that could change with Alterra. Only time will tell.

Lots of the larger resorts have volunteer patrollers. I honestly don’t know of a resort other than Loon that doesn’t have volunteer patrollers in New England. They have a similar setup to Jackson Hole. They basically “pay” their volunteers. Instead of offering comp tickets for days worked, they pay them $10 an hour. Honestly, with today’s prices, it’s pretty comparable compensation. Both volunteers and part time staff are required to work a certain amount of days in that situation.

There are way more patrollers at the smaller mountains in Pennsylvania and New Jersey than there are in places like VT, NH, and ME. There are several reasons for that. First and foremost, there is a much larger population closer to the resort. A good chunk of our patrollers live in Boston and travel 3 hours each way to get to the mountain. In PA, you hop on I-80 and you’re at one of the mountains in PA within an hour from North Jersey. Second, the skill qualifications are much easier because the terrain is much easier. Not having to ski/ride bumps and take a sled down a bump trail like Middle Earth makes it easy for a much lower level skier to patrol. Third, the majority of patrollers, especially volunteers, are baby boomers. They no longer have a work family when they retire, so they can join a patrol family, ski for free, and not ski alone. Lastly, there are far more shifts due to night skiing, so that allows for many to work at night after work, which is a timeframe that patrollers in New England largely can’t work during because it doesn’t exist.

RideDE what percentage of your riding days at Sugarbush are you patrolling?  Must be tough for you to be up for dawn patrol. 

I am required to patrol 22 days a year. I think I logged 23 last season. I think I only rode about 30 days last year, so that would roughly be 75% of them. In good years, depending on weather and snow conditions, I’ll patrol 30-40 days, which makes up anywhere from 50%-60% of my total days on snow. I would say 50% is a pretty accurate number any given year.

Paid volunteers make no sense...what kind of benefits do you get besides free lift tickets??  For patrollers with families getting free season passes for the whole family makes it pretty legit for lower income folks.  My uncle was a patroller at Jack Frost and he always said I should be a patroller to give back to the sport.  My giving back to the sport is posting on here and helping noobs like @saltyant

• Confused 1