Skison 19/20

moe ghoul

The baby boomer thing is interesting as well. That boomer generation participated in skiing and riding more than generation X and millennials..mainly for economic reasons. They had more disposable income/less debt and skiing was a lot cheaper. Crazy how the US population has gone up 40% in the last 40 years while the number of ski resorts has declined by about that factor while skier visits have been flat. Places like Blue, Stowe, Abasin and Jackson hole which continue to see skier visit increases and expand are the winners of the industry. Also when you noted Killington dropped from 1 million to 750,000 skier visits is crazy. Hunter lost skier visits in the early 00s as well.  Cheaper airfare may be a factor in this.  

Paid volunteers make no sense...what kind of benefits do you get besides free lift tickets??  For patrollers with families getting free season passes for the whole family makes it pretty legit for lower income folks.  My uncle was a patroller at Jack Frost and he always said I should be a patroller to give back to the sport.  My giving back to the sport is posting on here and helping noobs like [mention=13055]saltyant[/mention]

Some mountains give you comp tickets for the days you work in addition to your pass. Those comp tickets are often worth more than paying a patroller an hourly wage. If you consider those comp tickets to be compensation, then nobody is really a “volunteer” because we are all paid in some way shape or form. Some resorts pay their “volunteers” or hire them as part time staff instead of offering comp tickets, but the $$$ value in compensation is still about the same since both types of employees also get free passes for themselves and dependents.

The baby boomer thing is interesting as well. That boomer generation participated in skiing and riding more than generation X and millennials..mainly for economic reasons. They had more disposable income/less debt and skiing was a lot cheaper. Crazy how the US population has gone up 40% in the last 40 years while the number of ski resorts has declined by about that factor while skier visits have been flat. Places like Blue, Stowe, Abasin and Jackson hole which continue to see skier visit increases and expand are the winners of the industry. Also when you noted Killington dropped from 1 million to 750,000 skier visits is crazy. Hunter lost skier visits in the early 00s as well.  Cheaper airfare may be a factor in this.  

I am told that skier visits for Killington are now back over 1 million a year, but I’m told they are still down from the all time high in the 80s when they hit 1.3 million.

15 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

the baby boomer vs. millenial beef has really heated up the past week or two 

So many great boomer memes...olds love talking about millennials.  In Allentown 4 people ran for 3 seats on city council.  The lone republican is 65 and like my 4th favorite Hall and Oates song,”Out of Touch”...he said on council he’d create a millennial leadership committee..haha 2 of the 3 people who beat him are millennials.  The boomers are my main customers..their fathers fought the Second World War, spent their weekends at the Jersey shore..now still living here in Allentown...buying lots of tombstones and Ford Explorers as well and Toyota camrys by the boatload...they also love email and their grandkids  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

So many great boomer memes...olds love talking about millennials.  In Allentown 4 people ran for 3 seats on city council.  The lone republican is 65 and like my 4th favorite Hall and Oates song,”Out of Touch”...he said on council he’d create a millennial leadership committee..haha 2 of the 3 people who beat him are millennials.  The boomers are my main customers..their fathers fought the Second World War, spent their weekends at the Jersey shore..now still living here in Allentown...buying lots of tombstones and Ford Explorers as well and Toyota camrys by the boatload...they also love email and their grandkids  

I love the ok boomer thing. It's about time we lose the uneducated boomer opinions of the millennial generation, that are based on romanticism of the past and unrealistic expectations of younger people with an entire different set of challenges than what they had when they were our age. But hey, none of this belong in the Skison thread. Let's go ski.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I feel like youth sports have taken away from families skiing for the entire winter season. It’s impossible to take more than a weekend or two off during the winter if your kids are involved in basketball. I told my girls their winter sport was skiing and that was it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

being Facebook friends with baby boomers is fun because the stuff they post is fucking outrageous lol.  they really think something has to be true to be posted on the internet.  My 2 favorites are the picture of obama and osama bin laden hanging out, and the group of customers who collectively walked out of a grocery store because the muslim clerk told someone to hid their cross necklace.

0*v7gmjOTELi-Oysz4.png

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, poconoceancity said:

I feel like youth sports have taken away from families skiing for the entire winter season. It’s impossible to take more than a weekend or two off during the winter if your kids are involved in basketball. I told my girls their winter sport was skiing and that was it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poconoceancity said:

I agree with this!  My oldest was on a youth football team for one season and it definitely interfered with ski season. I told him the same thing you did, that was the end of the experiment and next season would just be skiing. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 1

I coach both my daughters travels softball teams and we go from March into November with a few weeks off in August. January and February has some indoor training that can be skipped. It’s killed all of my fishing time but I only have a few years of it. I’ll enjoy it while I can. Last year they both talked about doing basketball over then winter and I told them it was either that or skiing. Thankfully they chose to ski.

You're far from a boomer lol, both by definition and age

Apparently it's just something you say to older people now, regardless of their generation? For example...

30 something..."That episode of friends when the the cat jumps on Ross's back while Rachel is making out with the Italian guy is hilarious ".

Teenager..."Ok Boomer".
  • Like 1

Hunter will have 2 TTB runs open tomorrow

Hellgate > 7th > Kennedy

Belt Parkway

Pretty nice opening. 1500' of goodness including a black off the top and a blue to funnel off the amateurs.

Could well be worth the trip. You can only ski one run at a time, and the Hellgate run is better than anything anyone else will be offering this weekend south of VT. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Hellgate > 7th > Kennedy

Belt Parkway

Pretty nice opening. 1500' of goodness including a black off the top and a blue to funnel off the amateurs.

Could well be worth the trip. You can only ski one run at a time, and the Hellgate run is better than anything anyone else will be offering this weekend south of VT. 

Awesome. Take pictures! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Hellgate > 7th > Kennedy

Belt Parkway

Have a Blast!!!  We’ll miss you at Blue this season..maybe you can use Roots buddy pass. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

Done many season openers at huntah. Hell gate will be a vertical ice rink within 2 hours after opening. But the area below the mid mountain snow guns will be $ all day
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Jackson giving 15% discount off lodging now with Ikon pass.

Yup for condos and homes.  The real deals are in December for their golden ticket promotion. Lots of 2 for 1s on food and drinks specials and 40% off lift tickets but unfortunately it’s in December this year instead of Manuary as in years past.