Skison 19/20

moe ghoul

Just thought of something. American Dream, which I cannot imagine was doing particularly well financially before this pandemic has been shuttered for months and is part of a boondoggle of a mall that has struggled in all forms for a decade or more. Could it be shuttered permanently? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Schif said:

Just thought of something. American Dream, which I cannot imagine was doing particularly well financially before this pandemic has been shuttered for months and is part of a boondoggle of a mall that has struggled in all forms for a decade or more. Could it be shuttered permanently? 

Lol, when I read this quickly I thought you mean the literal American Dream is over. Didn't know it was a store/mall name.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Schif said:

Their business model is full capacity so perhaps. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, Schif said:

I hope not! I was hoping on skiing on my birthday.

• Like 1

How is business now?

My business hasn’t changed much. As a property manager, things aren’t always dynamic. Usually, once the leases are in place, thats usually the deal for 3-5 years and there aren’t any gray areas or loopholes. We had one tenant request some financial assistance and another ask for a delay in rent while the PPP loan was processed, but otherwise, it’s business as normal. We are building a new multi-unit building and that had some delays due to financing and construction meetings being delayed due to social distancing/state of emergency mandates. However, the new foundation was poured this past week, so things seem to be moving forward. I don’t expect many delays or changes as those rules continue to loosen.

On the overall tourism side of things, things are starting to pick up in terms of visitors. Towns like Rehoboth and Bethany have parking blocked off for additional restaurant seating and to limit the crowds. However, it just creates traffic issues since the same amount of people just keep circling to find parking and cars are effectively never removed from the roadway. Restaurants are still weird because capacity is at 30% by reservation only, tables have to be 8 feet apart, and no bar seating. They go to 60% on June 15, but they still have the social distancing mandate, which effectively still limits them to 30%. I hope they can make a go of it with limited seating and increased carry out.

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

My business hasn’t changed much. As a property manager, things aren’t always dynamic. Usually, once the leases are in place, thats usually the deal for 3-5 years and there aren’t any gray areas or loopholes. We had one tenant request some financial assistance and another ask for a delay in rent while the PPP loan was processed, but otherwise, it’s business as normal. We are building a new multi-unit building and that had some delays due to financing and construction meetings being delayed due to social distancing/state of emergency mandates. However, the new foundation was poured this past week, so things seem to be moving forward. I don’t expect many delays or changes as those rules continue to loosen.

On the overall tourism side of things, things are starting to pick up in terms of visitors. Towns like Rehoboth and Bethany have parking blocked off for additional restaurant seating and to limit the crowds. However, it just creates traffic issues since the same amount of people just keep circling to find parking and cars are effectively never removed from the roadway. Restaurants are still weird because capacity is at 30% by reservation only, tables have to be 8 feet apart, and no bar seating. They go to 60% on June 15, but they still have the social distancing mandate, which effectively still limits them to 30%. I hope they can make a go of it with limited seating and increased carry out.

The limited capacity is gonna kill restaurants..especially in tourist places where people normally have to wait for a table at meal times.  I know at Dogfish Head the whole place fills up in like ten minutes when they open at lunchtime. Even here in Allentown on Friday and Saturday nights most restaurants are near capacity...those are the times they make up for slow nights earlier in the week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else get the Scott's Cheap Flight emails? Flights from Allentown and Philadelphia to Vancouver are considerably cheaper. Check it out if Whistler is in your ski plan next season. 

https://app.scottscheapflights.com/deals/2020/06-12-vancouver-200s-rt-bags-extra-sep-may-5cd3d4660?utm_source=scotts-cheap-flights&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=international-deal&utm_term=campaign_1288476

449424832_YVRfromPHLABE.thumb.png.66d8f9332da497e4303f944660563d52.png

• Like 1

Saddleback is officially coming back for Skison 20/21. Sounds like the for-profit community fund that bought it has a pretty solid plan. I’ll try to get there this year, but unlike some others I’ve worried about closing before I could get there, I don’t think that will be an issue at Saddleback. Plus, even if they go under, I think it’s more likely to get picked up now that they are adding a HSQ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ride Delaware ? said:

Saddleback is officially coming back for Skison 20/21. Sounds like the for-profit community fund that bought it has a pretty solid plan. I’ll try to get there this year, but unlike some others I’ve worried about closing before I could get there, I don’t think that will be an issue at Saddleback. Plus, even if they go under, I think it’s more likely to get picked up now that they are adding a HSQ.

Have fun. 

• Thanks 1

Fun fact - mostly [mention=264]RidgeRacer[/mention]
"Whiteface sits on more true vertical gain than all but 14 other ski resorts in North America and more than any resort east of the Rockies

Next closest (according to the true up vert on mountainvertical.com) is sugarbush at 2552 feet (36 overall...WF is 15). Killington true up vert is 1645. I know there's more to it than vert but interesting none the less. I can't wait to blast down Upper skyward, to Victoria, to base this winter.
  • Like 1