Skison 19/20

moe ghoul

They're all ~24 hours, but I enjoy the the extended sunlight.

Well since we're getting technical, most solar days are slightly longer than 24 hours. Some are slightly shorter, like today which will run 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59.9989785 seconds. For reference yesterday was 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59.9992791 seconds. It all averages out to 24 hours.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

I ran past the hideout ski hill the other day.

I’m surprised security didn’t kick you out (unless you live in the Hideout).  Those guys are brutal

I used to shoot fireworks there all the time.  Security would come through 3 cars deep with their emergency lights on.  It always amazed me how crazy anti fireworks the Hideout is, neighbors would rat us out too. Security would come knock on our door, we’d deny it, and the process would repeat itself 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I’m surprised security didn’t kick you out (unless you live in the Hideout).  Those guys are brutal

I used to shoot fireworks there all the time.  Security would come through 3 cars deep with their emergency lights on.  It always amazed me how crazy anti fireworks the Hideout is, neighbors would rat us out too. Security would come knock on our door, we’d deny it, and the process would repeat itself 

I snuck in via their emergency fire entrances on all the roads that border the hideout.  Once I'm in, who is going to stop me?  It's a nice plan to run.  Rolling hills, and people driving slow.

As long as you act like you belong there, nobody is going to bother you while running.

45 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

A private gated community near Hamlin that has its own ski hill.  Even with the ski hill it is by far the worst place I have ever lived.  The people who live there like it though and think it’s paradise

When did you live there?  I guess it’s nicer than the communities along I-80. Farther away from NY and NJ

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

When did you live there?  I guess it’s nicer than the communities along I-80. Farther away from NY and NJ

I would say 75% of the people who live there are from NYC or NJ.  The place is only full during the summer months, the rest of the year it is only like 1/3 occupied.  The hideout is probably the only thing me and ski999 would disagree about.  It sucked for many reasons:

1.  No trash collection, you have to drive your trash in your own personal car 5-10 minutes to the trash center.  This might not bother everyone, but when you drive a Ford Focus SE, you have to be extra careful to not dirty up such an amazing vehicle.

2. Gated entry.  This is Wayne county, not Beverly Hills. (They charge you for the entry card)

3.  Guests were not allowed through with their personal vehicles unless you got a guest pass over 24 hours in advance

4.  Super anal about fireworks

5. no mailbox, you have to drive 5 mins to a central location

6. security guards who pull you over and write “speeding tickets” lol

7.  Neighbors who are snitches

8. fines for parking Your car in front of the house

9. 10 minute drive to Hamlin (the convenience store closed at 10:30 each night)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

1.  No trash collection, you have to drive your trash in your own personal car 5-10 minutes to the trash center.  This might not bother everyone, but when you drive a Ford Focus SE, you have to be extra careful to not dirty up such an amazing vehicle.

2. Gated entry.  This is Wayne county, not Beverly Hills. (They charge you for the entry card)

3.  Guests were not allowed through with their personal vehicles unless you got a guest pass over 24 hours in advance

4.  Super anal about fireworks

5. no mailbox, you have to drive 5 mins to a central location

6. security guards who pull you over and write “speeding tickets” lol

7.  Neighbors who are snitches

8. fines for parking Your car in front of the house

9. 10 minute drive to Hamlin (the convenience store closed at 10:30 each night)

True. totally agree with you @theprogram4

My parents use to own a vacation house in the poconos within a private community called Arrowhead Lakes. Had so much fun there as a kid despite security always busting our parties as teenagers and young 20's. Ok, and in our 30's too. 

The gated entry was more to keep people away from the amenities like the lake, pool, etc. But, it also gives a peace of mind when you own the house and you have security checking on it. When I moved back to PA, I fixed up the house and rented it on airbnb. Its crazy that so many people have turned their cabins in rentals. But, especially over the years it has created a divide between the owners and renters. Legit the facebook posts and people snapping photos of people doing "illegal" things (such has having a dog in the lake) or pictures of stop sign violations is out of control. The board are usually retired people who live there full time so the people who make the rules are not reflected of those who enjoy it. There's so many people up there who literally have nothing else to do but be snitches, complain, and post inappropriate things. 

It does suck. But, I love it because it's where my friends I've had since the 1990s all congregate.. we drive golf carts, play shoes, hang out on tubes or kayaks, and grill. It's simple. So although it sucks, I'll be up there pretty much all of the next week. It's definitely a love-hate.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk about private pocono communities ;) 

(I tried to post a picture of Birmy swimming in the lake because I figured that would get at least 2 likes but you can't post video :-I ) so this one will have to do. 

ALCA.thumb.jpg.5362f6ed5b3111174d834250f417c372.jpg

Edited by skiincy
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, skiincy said:

My parents use to own a vacation house in the poconos within a private community called Arrowhead Lakes. Had so much fun there as a kid despite security always busting our parties as teenagers and young 20's. Ok, and in our 30's too. 

The gated entry was more to keep people away from the amenities like the lake, pool, etc. But, it also gives a peace of mind when you own the house and you have security checking on it. When I moved back to PA, I fixed up the house and rented it on airbnb. Its crazy that so many people have turned their cabins in rentals. But, especially over the years it has created a divide between the owners and renters. Legit the facebook posts and people snapping photos of people doing "illegal" things (such has having a dog in the lake) or pictures of stop sign violations is out of control. The board are usually retired people who live there full time so the people who make the rules are not reflected of those who enjoy it. There's so many people up there who literally have nothing else to do but be snitches, complain, and post inappropriate things. 

It does suck. But, I love it because it's where my friends I've had since the 1990s all congregate.. we drive golf carts, play shoes, hang out on tubes or kayaks, and grill. It's simple. So although it sucks, I'll be up there pretty much all of the next week. It's definitely a love-hate.

(I tried to post a picture of Birmy swimming in the lake because I figured that would get at least 2 likes but you can't post video :-I ) so this one will have to do. 

Fantastic. Looking forward to the end of summer PASR party. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I was reading up on this equal housing stuff the only way to discriminate is if the whole hood is 55+. Can normal HOAs just have a gate? How is it legal to not have trash pickup? And what kinda of snobby person wants to live in an uppity hood with no trash collection?

5 minutes ago, Shadows said:

When I was reading up on this equal housing stuff the only way to discriminate is if the whole hood is 55+. Can normal HOAs just have a gate? How is it legal to not have trash pickup? And what kinda of snobby person wants to live in an uppity hood with no trash collection?

We had cats so I had to put literal bags of shit in my car lol

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, skiincy said:

Sickbird. Do you own the house now?  You said your parents used to own it?  My parents and sister bro in law and niece and nephew are in Lake Anna VA this week.  They love it there..

your post reminds me of this song which they play every night at the cowboy bar in Jackson hole. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

44 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Any HOA can have a gate. I think at first it appeals to people, but that seems to wear off fast. Ask ridgeracer, his last house was in a gated development. Super big pain in the ass for friends (me) to get in.

I dont have trash pickup at my place either. We have compactors in the development that you have to take your trash to. Believe it or not, this is a good thing to do in a community with alot of weekenders. It keeps the bears from going through everybodys trash. Another development nearby has trash pick up, and a huge bear problem. The place is a mess by the time the trash trucks get there monday morning. Everyone is supposed to have “bear proof” trash can enclosures which normally become kindling. So, im actually pretty cool with not having trash pickup, i know how much it costs me at home, and its about as much as my yearly HOA fee for the year. development stays   clean, and bears dont really have a reason to keep coming around since nobody is feeding them. I usually just take my trash home with me, sometimes in the winter it gets deposited somewhere else on sunday mornings. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Any HOA can have a gate. I think at first it appeals to people, but that seems to wear off fast. Ask ridgeracer, his last house was in a gated development. Super big pain in the ass for friends (me) to get in.

I dont have trash pickup at my place either. We have compactors in the development that you have to take your trash to. Believe it or not, this is a good thing to do in a community with alot of weekenders. It keeps the bears from going through everybodys trash. Another development nearby has trash pick up, and a huge bear problem. The place is a mess by the time the trash trucks get there monday morning. Everyone is supposed to have “bear proof” trash can enclosures which normally become kindling. So, im actually pretty cool with not having trash pickup, i know how much it costs me at home, and its about as much as my yearly HOA fee for the year. development stays   clean, and bears dont really have a reason to keep coming around since nobody is feeding them. I usually just take my trash home with me, sometimes in the winter it gets deposited somewhere else on sunday mornings. 

That actually makes sense to the point I may have to take lack of trash collection off my list of complaints

Spot on my friend. The gate sucked.

I drive my trash to the dump now every weekend now and for some reason I thoroughly enjoy it.
  • Love 1

I know a few people who drove into the gate because they got annoyed with it.

then again, it was also the person who drove his car into the lake. 

so maybe it was more than Gate Hate...

Edited by skiincy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...