JFBB is going to be EPIC!

15 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Advanced skiers aren't going to leave their home mountain and go to crappy JFBB hills because of being able to ski out west on the pass. They will ski decent PA terrain and Blue and pay to ski out west like they always have. 

Or upgrade to Hunter if in NJ/NYC or enjoy Whitetail if to the West of Philly.

No doubt the folks in Allentown will stay Blue

27 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Won't have an impact on Blue this coming year as most have bought their passes.

I imagine after that it will lead to Blue and CB losing a good number of their advanced skiers who would like to get a pass that covers Western resorts as well - unless Blue or CB joins Alterra - I doubt Vail is really pitching to own more than 5 PA Mts. 

I think its is unlikely there will be any kind of change in any type of skier from Blue because of this.  I think this would attract the occasional PA skier that possibly would take advantage of the other mountains associated with this pass.  Basically what Toast has posted is the more likely scenerio.  A frequent Blue mountain skier, isnt going to settle for skiing at JFBB (trust me, its where i spent many years) just to ski the other mountains out west on the pass.  Frequent trips to JFBB for an advanced skier will put them on pills.  JFBB only interests the "advanced" skier if they go back about 8 years, when they really paid attention to the stuff off trail.  Thats what makes JF a little attractive to the "advanced" skier.  I went there one day like 2 years ago - no trees, no elevator, and the runs seemed shorter than ever.  i was pretty bored after about an hour.  

I heard the new pass will come with 1,000 frontier miles as well.  The only catch is you have to connect through Florida, and Texas, and then take a bus from SLC to get to Vail.  

3 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Advanced skiers aren't going to leave their home mountain and go to crappy JFBB hills because of being able to ski out west on the pass. They will ski decent PA terrain and Blue and pay to ski out west like they always have. 

QFT, but you need to remember who you are quoting.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I think its is unlikely there will be any kind of change in any type of skier from Blue because of this.  I think this would attract the occasional PA skier that possibly would take advantage of the other mountains associated with this pass.  Basically what Toast has posted is the more likely scenerio.  A frequent Blue mountain skier, isnt going to settle for skiing at JFBB (trust me, its where i spent many years) just to ski the other mountains out west on the pass.  Frequent trips to JFBB for an advanced skier will put them on pills.  JFBB only interests the "advanced" skier if they go back about 8 years, when they really paid attention to the stuff off trail.  Thats what makes JF a little attractive to the "advanced" skier.  I went there one day like 2 years ago - no trees, no elevator, and the runs seemed shorter than ever.  i was pretty bored after about an hour.  

I heard the new pass will come with 1,000 frontier miles as well.  The only catch is you have to connect through Florida, and Texas, and then take a bus from SLC to get to Vail.  

QFT, but you need to remember who you are quoting.  

wow 1000 Frontier miles?! Maybe you can exchange them for a seat that reclines! 

Edited by toast21602
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

advanced skiers who would like to get a pass that covers Western resorts as well

I'm a pretty advanced skier myself, and I have no plans to leave Blue Mountain the True Mountain.

Welcome back Guitar!

Edited by saltyant

Agreed with what Dan said. Plus if you're planning on doing a lot of night sessions, BB ain't gonna cut it. Western mountains or not. I'd gladly ski Blue after work and pay for tickets wherever out west than ski the majority of my days there. In NE I literally only care about one mountain that isn't Epic so that really doesn't do much for me.

• Like 1

Boulder certainly caters to a niche market and good for them. Most of the other mountains have been shying away from parks in the past decade and Boulder has picked up the slack. 

Boulder appeals to the 15-25 year old me, but not so much to my current state. I think having some Vail money behind them can only help when they need to perpetually market to a new generation of kids who are into what they have to offer. That front office clout is exactly what a place like Boulder needs. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RyGuy19 said:

This is huge. Just gotta say though. When was the last time Blue had a professional magazine come in a close down some of the mountain like Boulder did? No hate to Blue at all but, Boulder offers a little more variety to snowboarders

They had a realty TV show.... 

• Like 1

Just now, RidgeRacer said:

I'm hoping Vail can use their patented tectonic plate machine to push the plates under Lake Harmony together to thereby increase the vertical footage of BB by about 1500 or so feet. May prompt them to replace those wooden chairs.

Great idea. Hopefully they can buy some water chillers like Bear Creek and start making snow on their new 2,000' mountain in August.

• Like 2

to this day it blows my mind why blue hasnt installed a retractable roof over the mountain.  seems pretty simple...build a retractable roof over the mountain to be closed when it is too hot or the weather is bad.  on most winter days, keep the roof open.  there can be overhead snowmakers hung from the retractable roof.  seems like a no brainer to me and im sure not too expensive

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

to this day it blows my mind why blue hasnt installed a retractable roof over the mountain.  seems pretty simple...build a retractable roof over the mountain to be closed when it is too hot or the weather is bad.  on most winter days, keep the roof open.  there can be overhead snowmakers hung from the retractable roof.  seems like a no brainer to me and im sure not too expensive

VTMark and a few of his homeys could build that in an afternoon for five hundred. 

15 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Seems reasonable. Would also protect the marble on your statue from weather exposure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Nothing more than a strategic move to sell more epic passes and further overcrowd resorts out west. All this acquisition shit is becoming so destructive to all the mountain towns.

Accurate. People thinking JFBB get “vailed up”, are probably going to be disappointed.  Maybe some new scanners to read all the epic passes from people visiting from out west. 

I will give peak some credit for 2 relatively smart things they did. 1) turn big boulder into one big terrain park, and open at 3 pm on weekedays. When Blue Ridge had it, the place was a ghost town during the day. 2) buy liberty, roundtop, and whitetail last year. It most likely put them in a better position in all of this.