JFBB is going to be EPIC!

21 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Quite likely Vail could impact BB's first to open last to close practice, as I doubt this is real profitable and Vail properties are generally not the first/last in their regions.

damn i didnt think of this, but is most likely what will happen

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow sounds like you’re gonna have to put some more skin in the game just have each kid throw down $40 each. Keep the $10 as a handling fee...profit. 

Nah, their upgrades are free. $70 is all for me. If they want to go to a non Epic Mt next season they can kick in for that. But it seems unlikely. They are kind of over Blue. 

I have friends here who work at Okemo and it sounded like absolute chaos at the beginning of this year (their first season under Vail). Their hiring process either broke down or was nonexistent; people (including patrollers) didn't know if they had jobs until literally a day before the mountain opened. The lines at guest services were long and slow because the staff was still figuring out how to do things. Benefits like family/friend passes were cut and the number of hours you have to work to qualify for an Epic pass was increased. 

I'm toying with getting an Epic, but since I'm teaching I'll just have school holidays free and that's when places like Okemo are insanely, unbearably crowded. I think I'm going to get a VT teacher pass at Magic ($300), which gets me on the Freedom pass, so  three tix each at some smaller areas up here. I'll get to ski at Cannon once in a while on the school's dime, and depending on how much skiing I do up here in NH during school sessions, I might get a pass at Tenney, which is under $300. 

Edited by SallyCat
Inadvertent hijack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

damn i didnt think of this, but is most likely what will happen

Yeah, maybe, but really they start making snow when it gets cold, just like everybody else....its really just the fact that they can open Freedom with like 24 hrs of snowmaking.  My guess is, they would continue to do this, however, i think they would look a little more into the future weather, like they might not make snow if it was just going to be cold enough, long enough to get Freedom open, but then days of above freezing temps.  basically, they might not be as into just getting that trail open as BB was before.  But in the long run, i doubt very much that Vail cares about BB's clain of first to open, last to close.  It will also be interesting to see how they incorporate opening JF after BB, or vice-versa.  

I cant really remember, but i dont think they were super early with Okemo snowmaking, ie competing with Killington's early season push.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Camelback is waaaay better than JF when it comes to skiing

Naa, 

Camelback is better if you value groomers and quantity over quality.  The off-trail skiing at jack frost is really unmatched in PA, and is the only skiing in the state that somewhat resembles what real skiing is like.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jordan said:

Naa, 

Camelback is better if you value groomers and quantity over quality.  The off-trail skiing at jack frost is really unmatched in PA, and is the only skiing in the state that somewhat resembles what real skiing is like.    

Eh, when was the last time you got to ski Frost, or anywhere in PA, with enough snow? I can refer you to the Valentine’s Day storm at Blue thread from a few years back if needed. 

33 minutes ago, jordan said:

Naa, 

I’d agree on an average day. Getting blue on a legitimate pow day mid-week if there’s already a base off trail is pretty fun though.

46 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Eh, when was the last time you got to ski Frost, or anywhere in PA, with enough snow? I can refer you to the Valentine’s Day storm at Blue thread from a few years back if needed. 

Epic day.  Not Epic pass.  That day was like a Unicorn though.  Havent seen many Unicorns since then.  

I can tell you with the utmost amount of certainty though, that day topped any day i ever skied at Frost.  And at that point, i was still a JFBB season pass holder.  

• Like 1

who else here was at blue for the january 2016 blizzard?  i feel like that never gets talked about on here.  probably the heaviest snow ive ever been in anywhere, and a very gnarly drive on the turnpike.  sides of paradise were waist deep

Edited by theprogram4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

who else here was at blue for the january 2016 blizzard?  i feel like that never gets talked about on here.  probably the heaviest snow ive ever been in anywhere, and a very gnarly drive on the turnpike.  sides of paradise were waist deep

There with kids

• Like 1

Remember it well. That day ended my season
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, theprogram4 said:

It was Epic!

• Like 1

Camelback is waaaay better than JF when it comes to skiing

Correct unless Frost skis the way it did 6+ years ago when Happyland, Vader, Elevator Glade etc. were readily skiable. In that instance I'd opt for Frost. CB is always better than BB. Blue, Elk and probably Montage over all of them. If were closer to Elk I'd probably have a pass there mainly for the better snow. I've always said it's a fun place but their marketing is a major turnoff.