After some hemming and hawing about where to get a pass this year, I think I finally decided: Cannon. It's 45 minutes from campus and is the closest White Mountain skiing to East Haverhill, NH, where I work at a boarding school and live in an on-campus apartment. 

I've been driving the hour back to W. Windsor on weekends lately, which is easy-peasy in good weather and allows me to see friends and stay connected to a community that I really like. I was going to try to find something that would allow me to split my time between VT, and NH, but I hate winter driving and I'm f-ing tired at the end of a teaching week. Plus the cat hates being dragged back and forth between houses.  Also, I'll save money not having to heat the W. Windsor place. 

So my decision now is down to weather I want to get just the Cannon pass or go a couple hundred bucks more for the White Mountain Superpass, which includes Bretton Woods and Waterville Valley. Bretton appeals to me because they evidently have a significant number of intermediate gladed areas. 

What say you PASRs? 

• Like 2

I’ve been hit or miss on the boards the past couple years, so I haven’t followed your story and didn’t know about the new job.

My wife tells me Cannon is fun, but it’s more on the difficult side of things and can be very icy, but it has a tram.

Brenton Woods was fun, but I went opening day, so terrain was limited. That being said, the pitch of that trail mirrors the rest of the mountain, so I think intermediate glades sound very realistic.

I’ve never been to Waterville Valley.

In terms of other options, your only other realistic option is Loon. There are pluses and minuses to Loon. Their snowmaking and grooming will keep the mountain in better overall shape than Cannon. It is 15 minutes further. Loon is much busier. Loon has limited glades. Loon will extend your season on the front end. The New England Pass gives you access to SR and SL, which extend your season on both the front and back end. SR and SL both have a great variety of beginner to expert glades.

It’s honestly dealers choice, but depends on how long you want your ski season and realistically how many times you’ll get to somewhere other than the home base.

• Like 1

RideDE gave the shittiest info I’ve ever seen. Of the three places you asked about he’s been to one on opening day lol.  How can he not know Sallycats story. In the time we’ve all pooped a few times she’s moved from PA to VT to NH

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

RideDE gave the shittiest info I’ve ever seen. Of the three places you asked about he’s been to one on opening day lol.  How can he not know Sallycats story. In the time we’ve all pooped a few times she’s moved from PA to VT to NH

I knew of the move from PA to VT. I didn’t know if the move from VT to NH. Sounds like she got a sweet gig and is still in ski country.

I’m sure J Law can give her much better info on Cannon. From what I’ve heard it can be an awesome mountain, or the coldest, iciest, and most challenging mountain in NH.

Bretton Woods and Loon are going to be much better rounded in terms of offerings.

Also, it was a phenomenal opening day at BW.

Well GSS, I only met a handful of PASRs before I suddenly moved north (though my funnest-ever moments at Blue were hearing "SallyCaaaaaaaaat!" from the chair while I "skied" below! Thank you all for that!) I still check in here because I love the convo and because so many people here come up to VT/NH and know the areas here. 

And since I know nothing, any advice is most welcome.

Since I'll likely be up in NH most of this winter, that means my 1 Br Brownsville condo is largely available during the ski season. It's got backcountry skiing literally out the back door, 30 minutes to Okemo and 45 to Killington. Killer general store with farm-to-table food and an amazing craft beer selection, as well as a riotous Thursday night race league that will challenge the drinking prowess of even the most prolific PASR. Not to mention that weed is legal in VT and my cupboard seems to always be full in that regard. 

I try to give back, is what I'm saying. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Well GSS, I only met a handful of PASRs before I suddenly moved north (though my funnest-ever moments at Blue were hearing "SallyCaaaaaaaaat!" from the chair while I "skied" below! Thank you all for that!) I still check in here because I love the convo and because so many people here come up to VT/NH and know the areas here. 

And since I know nothing, any advice is most welcome.

Since I'll likely be up in NH most of this winter, that means my 1 Br Brownsville condo is largely available during the ski season. It's got backcountry skiing literally out the back door, 30 minutes to Okemo and 45 to Killington. Killer general store with farm-to-table food and an amazing craft beer selection, as well as a riotous Thursday night race league that will challenge the drinking prowess of even the most prolific PASR. Not to mention that weed is legal in VT and my cupboard seems to always be full in that regard. 

I try to give back, is what I'm saying. 😁

My old roommate in Montana would get homegrown weed from his parents and had like a cookie tin filled with it and said help yourself.  Wow he said that to the wrong guy lol

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2019 at 11:20 PM, SallyCat said:
Well GSS, I only met a handful of PASRs before I suddenly moved north (though my funnest-ever moments at Blue were hearing "SallyCaaaaaaaaat!" from the chair while I "skied" below! Thank you all for that!) I still check in here because I love the convo and because so many people here come up to VT/NH and know the areas here.  And since I know nothing, any advice is most welcome.

I try to give back, is what I'm saying. [emoji16]

Unfortunately if / when I move out of PA, I'll likely still be posting here as well. PASR is like a group of locals hanging out at their favorite bar that will keep doing so until they can't anymore. I've officially resigned myself to being an internet version of Cliff Clavin. Not to mention there are some pretty cool people here.

Looking forward to your Cannon TRs Sally. Best of luck to you in NH.

Edited by RidgeRacer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Yeah, that's it for winter spending. I'll be having cheap beer and peanut butter sandwiches to the parking lot. 

Ahhh you’ll be fine...you only live once at least have medium price beer and fancy sausage and chips. I’m surprised the blue season pass isn’t $1,000 by now.  It was like $350 for a student pass for me 23 years ago and now it’s like $500 or so. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ahhh you’ll be fine...you only live once at least have medium price beer and fancy sausage and chips. I’m surprised the blue season pass isn’t $1,000 by now.  It was like $350 for a student pass for me 23 years ago and now it’s like $500 or so. 

Yeah, I was going to try to go without a pass this year, but f-that. Things may be tight but I didn't take a job in the Whites to NOT ski. Blue's pass was the best bang for the skiing buck I've ever seen. Not much night skiing up here, so the potential for hours-on-snow is so much less. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Yeah, I was going to try to go without a pass this year, but f-that. Things may be tight but I didn't take a job in the Whites to NOT ski. Blue's pass was the best bang for the skiing buck I've ever seen. Not much night skiing up here, so the potential for hours-on-snow is so much less. 

Never go without a pass..you won’t ski as much.   But you have a long ski season even two days a week you’ll rack up the days...and you probably get a pretty nice winter and spring break.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Ok, I did it! White Mountain Superpass. Cannon, Bretton Woods, and Waterville Valley. Oof, it was more expensive than the Epic Pass. 

I think you'll like Bretton Woods. They have a T-bar that takes you up to a whole section of glades. Most of the other trails are blue cruisers. Cannon being in Franconia Notch can be very windy and icy while BW has little or no wind. Never been to Waterville Valley but have friends with passes there and from what they say I think you'll like the vibe.

• Like 2