1 hour ago, Mixilplix said:

I'll be in the Whites the week of the 22nd to hike Franconia Ridge and Mount Washington.....So I'll be peepin the leaves....

Nice! It's gorgeous here right now. The humidity broke about a week ago and it's been clear days and crisp nights ever since. There were some yellow leaves on my front step this morning. Next time I go to Brownsville for the weekend I'm going to bring my skis back with me. Cool thing about living on campus is that if there's a snow dump, I can get up early and get in a skin-and-ski on the small mountain right across the street. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I didn't know this, but Bretton Woods has night skiing on weekends until 8pm. I'm super psyched, because that means I can ski on Friday afternoons/evenings.

Also, we have three "elective weeks" at my school throughout the year, where you can teach an eclectic class or do something outdoors (mountain biking, rock climbing, etc.). So right away I submitted a proposal for the February electives week: "Ski every day, all day. End of proposal." It was approved! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2019 at 10:35 PM, SallyCat said:

So right away I submitted a proposal for the February electives week: "Ski every day, all day. End of proposal." It was approved! 

Is there any room for me to sign up for your class? 

That's a lot of moving, SC! 7 years of "moving" into the VT house and the move out of PA this summer is about all I can tolerate in a lifetime. And we're still moving in right now. Living room is a sea of crates and boxes. Sounds like your set up for some White Mountain goodness this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Opening day at Cannon yesterday. I recognized the conditions right away: "Mid-January Poconos After a Freeze-Thaw Cycle". By 9:30 am the upper trails were scraped-off boilerplate in and out of deep shadow, and the trails that actually had snow were horribly rutted and covered in chicken-head scree.  And it was super crowded.

Gosh, I was almost homesick!

🙄 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1